Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 21:16   #1

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Biggest Cat?!!!!!!

Subject: China's New Aircraft Carrier

This is certainly a bit unnerving.

Read the Notes at the Bottom - after you
have looked at the Pictures..Wow

========================================
China's New Aircraft Carrier

This is quantum leap above anything we have on the drawing board. They have thought "outside the box" on this one. Better speed, larger capacity, much more stable, etc. Definitely a "blue-water" long reach vessel. Plus they can service their nuke sub fleet in-between the twin hulls ( sight unseen ) or even launch amphibious opps from same. It will be launched in half the time it takes the USA at just one-third the cost. Add the new Chinese stealth fighter bomber (naval version already flight-testing) in the mix and you have the makings of a formidable weapons system indeed. Also look at that extra ''parking and readiness'' station between both hull structures. And of course the launching and landing capabilities from the utilization of twin flight decks at once.

P.S. Some thought should be given to advising your grandchildren to learn to speak mandarin (forget Spanish). My very, very bright 15-year old cousin has already been advised to do so by people who know about such things.

P.S. Six of these vessels (two pacific, two Atlantic, one Indian ocean and one on the Mediterranean sea ) would be a pretty good diplomatic "big stick." Note : the Chinese are already drilling for oil off Cuba , Brazil and Venezuela . Can they build a fleet of these things?

A few facts: the Chinese have completed the world's biggest dam (three gorges), the world's longest over-water bridge (65 times as much steel as in the Eiffel tower), constructed a 15,000 ft. high railroad into Tibet (all considered major engineering feats).

China is the only nation other than Russia that can launch men into outer space (our capability ended with the last space shuttle launch this month) . They have also shot down a surveillance satellite (one of their own) from the ground. Plus, they "own our ass" in the international debt game.

China 's new carrier could be twice as fast as anything we have, plus the stability of a catamaran type hull will greatly reduce the pitching, yawing and swaying common to our present designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1676553394.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	49604   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3439323151.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	49605  

Name:	image-940940713.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	49607   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-671593274.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	49608  

Name:	image-4022543486.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	49609  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:39   #2

Boat: Etchells
Re: Biggest Cat?!!!!!!

Jmolan,
Seems a big target to me. It would be hard to miss if you got it in your crosshairs.
jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 23:18   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
Jmolan,
Seems a big target to me. It would be hard to miss if you got it in your crosshairs.
Thats why aircraft carriers bob around at the centre of a Battle Group. Any missiles, topedos or planes have to get past a pile of destroyers and frigates etc- each with thier own anti aircraft systems. If the missile/plane gets past them, they then take on the vessels own internal systems. Its Very hard to knock out and AC without losing a bundle of your own planes and missiles.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...attlegroup.jpg

http://www.online-utility.org/image/...ay%2C_1987.jpg

As a result its Very hard to knock out an AC without losing a bundle of your own planes and missiles. I would assume that something the size of an AC would also need several good hits to sink it.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 23:39   #4

Pretty impressive, but I doubt it's a sailboat....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 23:45   #5

Boat: Valiant 50

Looks like a Lagoon 44 on steroids.
Old 12-11-2012, 00:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
Jmolan,
I think the difficulty would lie in getting it in your crosshairs.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 00:49   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)

China just launched their first Aircraft carrier and it underwent sea trials August 2011. It was an abandoned Ukrainian built hulk that was about 30% complete and needed a complete refit.

This carrier concept would be a huge leap forward for the Chinese and to say, "It will be launched in half the time it takes the USA at just one-third the cost" is a pretty big stretch.They [Chinese] have expressed a bigger desire to acquire older, used carriers from other nations and refit those ships.

The artist concept above is just that, a concept.
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25   #8

Nice.

I'll take two please.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35   #9

And Jmolan, why is the news of this mythical craft "unnerving"?

Why do some Americans think a Chinese attack is imminent?

If the Chinese want to bury America, they'll just use simple economics, having observed how the US finished off the Cold War.

Bankrupting one's enemies is much safer than fighting them.

Besides, why would they want to conquer all those paying customers? China's growth is quite dependent upon having overseas consumers.

I agree, the 21st Century will indeed belong to China (they've sure earned it), but I reckon their domination will occur without a shot being fired.

Now, what was this thread about again?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:35   #10

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

The western world is facing global population decline, while the eastern world is still rising in population. China and India account for 2/5 the world's population by themselves. Once they are fully industrialized, they will collectively be the largest and most productive nations in the world, barring any great political or technological changes that would tip the balance of power away from them - an unlikely proposition to say the least!

The so-called debt issue is sufficiently complex that I think the average person does not truly understand it, and that's the way the powers-that-be like it. All money in the world today is just Monopoly money. Property, the only permanent asset, is owned by governments, not by companies or individuals.

In the end, one nation's ability to enforce a debt obligation of another is through their military force - nothing more or less. I find a rising military capability in China and India to be unnerving, even if it is merely theoretical and conceptual at this stage.

It's part of why I want to be on a boat sooner rather than later, and then to be able to stay on said boat come what might.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:50   #11

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
The western world is facing global population decline, while the eastern world is still rising in population. China and India account for 2/5 the world's population by themselves. Once they are fully industrialized, they will collectively be the largest and most productive nations in the world, barring any great political or technological changes that would tip the balance of power away from them - an unlikely proposition to say the least!

The so-called debt issue is sufficiently complex that I think the average person does not truly understand it, and that's the way the powers-that-be like it. All money in the world today is just Monopoly money. Property, the only permanent asset, is owned by governments, not by companies or individuals.

In the end, one nation's ability to enforce a debt obligation of another is through their military force - nothing more or less. I find a rising military capability in China and India to be unnerving, even if it is merely theoretical and conceptual at this stage.

It's part of why I want to be on a boat sooner rather than later, and then to be able to stay on said boat come what might.
I could be wrong but im pretty sure chinas population is growing slower than that of the USA. ie they have a looming ageing population problem that dwarfs what we have in the western world from the one child per couple policy.

The beautiful thing about an increasingly economically integrated world is that going to war with your customer just makes bad business sense. IMHO we in the west need to watch out for when they no longer need us as customers but thankfully thats quite a ways off i think...

What do you mean by property being owned by governements exactly out of curiosity?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 14:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I could be wrong but im pretty sure chinas population is growing slower than that of the USA. ie they have a looming ageing population problem that dwarfs what we have in the western world from the one child per couple policy.

The beautiful thing about an increasingly economically integrated world is that going to war with your customer just makes bad business sense. IMHO we in the west need to watch out for when they no longer need us as customers but thankfully thats quite a ways off i think...

What do you mean by property being owned by governements exactly out of curiosity?
Private ownership of land does not truly exist, only ownership of use deeds. You pay property tax on your land as "rent" to the government, who is the only true owner of your land. This is basis of the "eminent domain" law, which states that the government can force you give up your "ownership" in exchange for "reasonable compensation". If you read a land title, I think you'll see that the wording on your document makes it clear that you have been granted a use title, not a title of ownership.
Old 12-11-2012, 14:20   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Have you ever heard the saying "If you owe the bank $100,000, it's your problem. If you owe the bank $100,000,000, it's the bank's problem." That's kind of the situation I see China in now. We have all the products they made and shipped over, and they have a pile of our IOU's they hope we will make good on. Only time will tell who is the bigger fool, us for borrowing so much, or them for lending it.

In regards to the carrier, it is DOA. The dawning age of drones will spell the end for aircraft carriers and probably manned surface ships altogether, just like what aircraft carriers did to the battleships.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 14:30   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

In regards to the carrier, it is DOA. The dawning age of drones will spell the end for aircraft carriers and probably manned surface ships altogether, just like what aircraft carriers did to the battleships.[/QUOTE]

Very likely . Wars are started basically to test new technologies, which filter off in civilian use so that consumers can finance more development.
A relative who was very high up in a major US weapons system company often said he needed a good war to make any money.
Old 12-11-2012, 14:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Indian growth is quite rampant, and they are in the process of opening up their economic and social borders with China. Even with their aggressive efforts at restricting population growth, the Chinese fertility rate falls only slightly below the US with their voluntary growth restriction program - their population is not declining (at least, not yet)

To personalize this, I ask people to think of every single adult woman they know - how many have (or are planning to have) more than 2 kids? How many have had or plan to have only 1, or none? Among educated people I've spoken to in the U.S. and Canada the consensus has been that most people know of FEW people having more than 2 kids, but know many people have 0 or 1 kids. This makes me wonder where our current population growth (if in fact we do have a positive growth) is coming from.