Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 13:33   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Bigger perforamce cruise cats that can be sailed short handed?

Previous posts note that it is often harder to dock a boat than sail it. I grew up with traditional full keel monohulls that were often under powered with a single screw.

When I got my Seawind with twin screws well forward it seemed like cheating to dock it compared to a single screw monohull.

Early one day I took it out sailing in BKH and while I was out a front hit. It was blowing 20+ when I got back; still I was able to single hand the boat to the ball and pick it up. Later that day at the tiki hut someone said they were impressed; next guy said could I do it in 30 knots. Never get involved in this type of conversation in a tiki hut. Eventually it was agreed that I would not be able to pick up a ball single handed if there were 10 foot waves and 200 knot winds; and probably even in less harsh conditions.

I have sailed my boat single handed in 30 knots, but down wind with the working jib up. I have motored it with the sails down in 50 knots. Unlike Charlie the Tuna I do make the cut for Chicken of the Sea. I always reef early and have no problem dropping the sails early. It is a lot easier to raise the sails once the bad weather has passed than it is to get down the sails when the wind gets too strong.

With all lines leading to the steering station, a remote to the electric windlass so I can drop the hook from the steering station, and twin screws well forward it is easy to single hand. The key is how well a boat is set up. But even more important is how well the guy single handing knows the boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, sail