Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 04:36   #16

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Re: Big, Fast, And Available Trimaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinjay1974 View Post
http://www.multisailing.com/EN/listing.php?req=Tri

Hi Skip

Philippe at the above website has an excellent selection of trimarans for sale including a Dragonfly 1200 at a very good price. I would speak to him about your specific requirements.
Nalinjay'74... yes, I know Philippe. As I live in Europe, its a good source in my direct neighbourhood.

Actually there is listed a 40 Foot Trimaran of the Formula 40 series (my most desirably boat type for now). That boat would make my day !! :-)

It fits the prize range, but it only has 1.70 meters head size under deck. As I am 1.83 (without shoes) I suppose "living on board" will produce steadily backbone problems, muscle tensions in neck and shoulds by guarantee. And I am not that Indian guy who does daily two hours Yoga. I can be very lazy on a boat...

Dragonflys are heavily overprized... they can be sailed sportively, no doubts... good boats. But I dont pay for a "European Trend" (I suppose DF in Denmark is the leading seller in Europe of Trimarans).
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 23:19   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's a very interesting, not to mention, strong, & fast, 13m design by John Shuttleworth
2002 13m Performance Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And for a different take on things, you might look at the PT11 Trimaran PT-11 by Performance Multihulls

It's obvious, but much of your search is defined by; your budget, & what you want to do with the boat. Especially as any trimaran on the North side of 40' is going to be a custom boat, & thus designed to fill a niche, as defined by the original owner.

That said, it surely sounds like an interesting endeavor: Fast is Fun...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 03:24   #18

yoh.... "Dirty Harry" aka "uncivilized".... tks.

Yes, of course I know the uniquely Trimaran Strontium Dog :-)

I have found first time the boat on Seaboats...
http://www.seaboats.net/13m-performa...idp652479.html

This vid of 2010 during the Round Britain race with Andrew Fennell and Simon Redding on board shows little bit more in details the potentials of this boat... 2 days nonstop under spinnaker at 16-17 knots.

Looking at the hull painting it always brings a smile onto my face. Maybe remembers me a nemo fish. :-) it has a clean fresh and same modern interior.

Sadly the boat was dismasted in 2011 at the beginning of the Fastnet race (so it got a new Aluminium mast of 18.60m length in 2012). This race in that year was for some other boats a diseaster, too.

I like John Shuttleworth's designs... they can be very progressive and mostly are in a prize range I cannot afford.

Now as you remember me, I ask myself why yet I have not contacted the owners *laugh*.
Maybe because this construction is a mix.... more kind of re-design by Shuttleworth, as the original design was done by Grandel. Does anybody know something more about the person behind this name ?

The centre hull was designed in 2004 by Shuttleworth, and got amas (outriggers) from another boat being produced in Finland in 2001. The boat was lately finished in 2009 by Pro-Composites Ltd. in UK. (No website found... I suppose the address is: Pro-Composites Limited 11 EAST HILL, Colchester Essex).

Maybe because of the design mix the proportions look little bit "Nemo fish funny" :-)

Indeed, by its basic concept its that kind of boat I am looking for...
Old 20-09-2015, 04:52   #19

Trustbuilding curriculum of a new design company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
And for a different take on things, you might look at the PT11 Trimaran PT-11 by Performance Multihulls
Yes, I know them, too.... and I have addressed about this company the seriously question on my blog "WTE - World of Trimaran Enthusiasts":
What happened with the company “Performance multihulls” in Bristol (USA) ?

If I'd give far more than 1/2 million dollar into the hands of some guys I want have the confidence that this huge sum of money is in good hands.

I prefer experienced designers, who fully focus on Multihull productions. At least I would set aside such youngsters an experienced designer as consulter, e.g. a Kurt Hughes or J. Shuttleworth (both designs I like a lot).

I like the PT-11, no doubt... an interesting boat. Otherwise I'd have not addressed this question and put some time into my researches about this company.

Its pitty, that there is only realized one single boat, whatever reasons are behind. Seems these guys have some other projects in mind, too not focussing their energy onto establishing a new design company as brand in the global market. Just a personal opinion...
Old 20-09-2015, 05:03   #20

12 Meter Norman Cross Trimaran (design: 1983-1988) as racing version...

Tks to cavalier for the tip... the image shows the data sheet of a Norma Cross design, which started in 1983 and was optimized till 1988... and as it seems, still sold in 2012.

As we see its a 39 Footer - as cavalier likes to name it - designed as R-version (racing).

Does anybody know where this boat was built ? - Maybe somebody has pics, video links or other web sources of "real boats" which have been realized.

Has this N'Cross been sold shortly (or is for sales) ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plan Cover Sheet 12M.pdf (119.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 20-09-2015, 07:25   #21

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: 12 Meter Norman Cross Trimaran (design: 1983-1988) as racing version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
Tks to cavalier for the tip... the image shows the data sheet of a Norma Cross design, which started in 1983 ----

As we see its a 39 Footer - as cavalier likes to name it - designed as R-version (racing).

Does anybody know where this boat was built ? - Maybe somebody has pics, video links or other web sources of "real boats" which have been realized.

Has this N'Cross been sold shortly (or is for sales) ?
You can click on my avatar for some pictures of mine, which was sold last year. It had been modified by the po. Really liked that boat, but bought a cat for the accommodations.
Old 20-09-2015, 07:49   #22

Re: 12 Meter Norman Cross Trimaran (design: 1983-1988) as racing version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
You can click on my avatar for some pictures of mine, which was sold last year. It had been modified ...
Ah... I see... is it this one ??

Looks nicely... like a Panther waiting for the jump. And sweet name. Are you a Mandolin player ?

It has astern cabin, right ? I love that concept on Trimarans...
Old 22-09-2015, 19:41   #23

Skip JayR -

When I bought her the aft cabin had a flush deck (not much headroom) with two single berths with the head located between them, and a sink. The po slept in the vee berth.
I thought that was a waste of the aft cabin so I moved the head to underneath the vee berth, raised the roof on the aft cabin, and made it one large berth. It was good width wise, but needed a longer cabin. I was thinking about changing the transom to pick up some more room, but my lady "convinced" me that it was wiser to buy a catamaran.
More comfortable, but not as much fun to sail.

I don't play the mandolin. The first mandolin was a 26' double ended gaff rigger, so named because it was "a small well crafted instrument that played beautiful music".

I'm currently on Mandolin IV, the tri was III. I never put the numbers on.
Old 22-09-2015, 21:18   #24

Smartest Cross I've ever seen, please tell me it didn't have a fin keel !
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 02:37   #25

Quote:
I'm currently on Mandolin IV, the tri was III. I never put the numbers on.
Tks giving some insights... :-) Do exist videos of this Norman Cross ??? I havent found sales offers in the market. It seems this boat was not built very often, right ?
Old 23-09-2015, 08:53   #26

Red & Skip -

The boat does have a fin keel, as do most of Norm Cross' designs. I am told she was originally designed to be more of a go-fast than a cruiser. The keel was drawn with two depths, 5' and 3.5'.

The boat had the deep keel when the po bought her. He ripped the keel and rudder off on a bar somewhere, and when he had the boat repaired he went with the shoal draft version. He also greatly thickened up the area where the keel met the hull. That was overbuilt (solid wood!) and added a lot of unnecessary wetted surface and weight. He also replaced the rudder with a flat steel powerboat type rudder, longer than it was deep.

None of those modifications exactly helped the boat's performance lol.
When I purchased her, in addition to the previously mentioned cabin modifications and a paint job, I replaced the rudder with a more typical sailboat foil, built by Steve Brown (one of Jim Brown's sons).
Unfortunately fixing the keel was not in the budget.
The boat still points and tacks acceptably, but doubtless not as well as it would with the original keel. I spend a lot of time in the Bahamas so I would probably keep the shoal draft, perhaps go to 4' deep, but I would get rid of the excess thickness and weight where the keel meets the hull.

Boat could use some new sails, but she still cruised at 6-8 knots easily. I had her up to 10 knots a time or two. She seemed like she wanted to go much faster, but would hit a wall at 9 knots or thereabouts, sort of like a powerboat that was just short of enough power to plane. I blame this on the keel modification. The main hull was hard chine, and I think with the original keel design she would have risen higher out of the water and been much faster. The fastest I ever had her was actually probably a good bit over over 10 knots, but I was too busy sail handling to look at the instruments, caught by a wind increase in the mouth of one of the Georgia sounds.

Had a few seconds of video somewhere taken on board while sailing up the Florida ICW, I'll see if I can find it, not very spectacular though.
Not very many of these boats built, maybe somebody else out there could chime in with more performance info.
Old 25-09-2015, 03:57   #27

Quote:
Boat could use some new sails, but she still cruised at 6-8 knots easily. I had her up to 10 knots a time or two. She seemed like she wanted to go much faster, but would hit a wall at 9 knots or thereabouts, sort of like a powerboat that was just short of enough power to plane. I blame this on the keel modification.
Thats surprising in a negative way, indeed. She looks faster... haven't expected to be sooooooooooooo slow as Trimaran.

I suppose you are right, its because of the keel configuration. Anyhow... this trimaran model is part of multihull history. :-) At least we can enjoy her beautyness.
Old 25-09-2015, 05:48   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Jay Kantola 65' here West System Epoxy Duracore and closed cell foam. I am in Philippines and just rerigged paraw style. Lets talk. If you want to change back to Bermuda you can go back to the 79 ft full bat, or higher. Kantola designed the boat to be Bermuda, Ketch, or Aft-Mast. 20+ under sail and easy on fuel use under the 150hp engine. This is the largest private yacht in Philippines.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:01   #29

Boat: Crowther 150

Virgin Fire
56ft Gold Coast Trimaran
Florida
Been for sale for several years, big, powerful, simple. Looks well built if a bit overpriced.
multihullnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 12:11   #30

Is today Xmas ?? 56 ft, 65 ft... big, bigger.... wowh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Jay Kantola 65' here West System Epoxy Duracore and closed cell foam. I am in Philippines and just rerigged paraw style. Lets talk. If you want to change back to Bermuda you can go back to the 79 ft full bat, or higher. Kantola designed the boat to be Bermuda, Ketch, or Aft-Mast. 20+ under sail and easy on fuel use under the 150hp engine. This is the largest private yacht in Philippines.
Tks.... 40 Foot beam/width ??? Wowh.... Man, you scare me

What is the cruising and maximum speed of this rig ?

Jay Kantola... not lots infos out there about this designer...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Kantola

Who was/is this guy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullnz View Post
Virgin Fire
56ft Gold Coast Trimaran
Florida
Been for sale for several years, big, powerful, simple. Looks well built if a bit overpriced.
hm... 4 berth max, minimum weight 14 tons. Heavy Trimaran for 295 KUS$.

Yes, the "overpriced thing" is a habit we see very often by boat owners
Mostly its impossible to clear their mind that they have followed an illusion to make money with their "beauty".

I just sent a bid to the owner of a 40 Foot Trimaran... first sales prize: 75000, 2nd sales prize by his broker: 55000. After talking with the designer of the 20 year old boat realistically prize: 20000.

Even offering 25000 to the owner by good will, and telling him, that it needs another 65-70000 to invest minimum (plus new rudder + new daggerboard) to make his boat seaworthy = in total at least 90-95000 investment... he keeps stubborn and yeals around.

So it goes day by day in the world of boat sales. And at the end you see boats for years in the market, dropping down, dropping, down, dropping down...

At the end a buyer better takes the 95000 (plus little bit more) and builds a new boat. :-)

Crazy world !

P.S.: I dont want see new pictures of this boat. The vid was done 6 years ago. How it looks today ?

Tags
trimaran