Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 17:01   #31

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
If you can get them in PDF you can read them on almost all devices now. Oh by the way the iPad last just about 10 hours between charges.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 17:11   #32

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My gut feeling is that Google is prime for the taking with a new business model within the next 5 years.
For sure, google will be replaced by something else, eventually. Anyone else been on the internet long enough to remember Alta Vista, Excite, or Webcrawler?

By the way, Time/Life may be bad, but have you tried Reader's Digest? On top of billing you for a subscription you didn't renew, you can receive tons of junk mail too! Thankfully they don't have a search engine.
Old 11-07-2010, 17:21   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-Mystique View Post
WOW - interesting dialog from the technology perspective! I have been in the tech field for over 30 years and the tools we have today have totally changed our world if embraced. I gave up on MS a year ago and have deployed Apple as our technology provider. We both have iPhones, me a MacBook Pro and the wife an iPad. All devices are synced for calendars, schedules and contacts. We have all of our magazines electronic across all devices, we have 1000's of books, charts, cursing guides plus weather information at our finger tips. These are amazing times we live in - embrace it!
Same here, two iPhones and two MacBooks and everything synced (pretty much)! Next is the iPad.

We are big supporters of Dear Leader.
Old 12-07-2010, 16:42   #34

Quote:
WOW - interesting dialog from the technology perspective! I have been in the tech field for over 30 years and the tools we have today have totally changed our world if embraced. I gave up on MS a year ago and have deployed Apple as our technology provider. We both have iPhones, me a MacBook Pro and the wife an iPad. All devices are synced for calendars, schedules and contacts. We have all of our magazines electronic across all devices, we have 1000's of books, charts, cursing guides plus weather information at our finger tips. These are amazing times we live in - embrace it!
I've been in IT for over 30 years and gladly embrace lots of technology that I've used to replace previous methods of doing things. I was also an early Kindle adopter and still use it to read all kinds of things - that I knowingly buy in a digital format. For the "glossy" periodicals, however, I still prefer they be in hardcopy. I also don't like buying something that's promised in a specific format and then isn't delivered in that format - and further that I actually have to contact the seller months later on my own to even find out.

So, it's not a matter of not embracing the technology it's a matter of not being provided with the product that was sold and paid for. That's a major sticking point for me but to each his own.
Karl_in_Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 18:10   #35

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Fair enough, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I guess it comes down to flexibility in a world that is changing quickly and one where everyone is trying to find a way to survive. Think about, you are being provided the same content, just a different media.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 18:59   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
I do love technology. Its a big part of my profession and my personal life. There are some things which will never be replaced by electronics though, things such as a book. No electricity required.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 07:34   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
... There are some things which will never be replaced by electronics though, things such as a book. No electricity required.
Electric lighting (solar) is changing lives. For the first time, reading after sundown, is practical.

Light the Village ➥ Light the Village | The Guatemala Light Project

Light Up The World Foundation ➥ Home :: Light Up The World

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:18   #38

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
WOW! Had no idea the battery life was that good.

Does it have support for photos yet? Looks like some of the books from our nautical libraries are slowly making their way into the format. Saw a few of Calder's books. But still not happening fast enough for my taste.

So, you think I can download the Gem, Westerbeke, and Silette manual to it?
The Gem manual can be made into a Word doc and yes. The Westy is pdf and yes but the font is really, really small and hard to read, though my sister in law found software to convert pdf to MOBI and says it works pretty well. The Sillette I don't know about but I bet the diagrams (have you actually seen those horribly outdated things) would be doubly hard to visualize.

What it does is remove what I saw on a Benni down in Boot Key Harbor - a third of the forward cabin full of, you guessed it, books.

Photos, no. Use your laptop and that power for that.

The Kindle is really just a book that uses very little power, is light weight and easy on the eyes. More of a single use item. It is what it is. If you want to see a movie you will have to go somewhere else.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:26   #39

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
These are amazing times we live in - embrace it!
[quote]
There are some things which will never be replaced by electronics though, [quote/]

The electronic condom is next.
Old 14-07-2010, 17:41   #40

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I do love technology. Its a big part of my profession and my personal life. There are some things which will never be replaced by electronics though, things such as a book. No electricity required.
We use to feel the same until we moved to Thailand. Where we are there are very few English books in the stores or otherwise, and my wife is a big reader of novels. If it wasn't for online books, she would be miserable. Its not the same but it a lot better than none at all. And cheaper.
Old 14-07-2010, 17:49   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The Sillette I don't know about but I bet the diagrams (have you actually seen those horribly outdated things) would be doubly hard to visualize.

What it does is remove what I saw on a Benni down in Boot Key Harbor - a third of the forward cabin full of, you guessed it, books.
Goes great with the outdated design. BAM!!! Don't tell anyone on the group I said that.

Yeah, that's why I've thought about getting one. On the other hand, how many of those books do you really need to keep. Read it once, and ebay t, trade it with another cruiser, etc. With the exception of all Calder, Chapman's, etc. which I'd rather have the actual book anyway.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:52   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The electronic condom is next.
Does it vibrate? Does it have a GPS antenna, so I know where I was when...er nevermind?
Old 14-07-2010, 18:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

On the other hand, how many of those books do you really need to keep. Read it once, and ebay t, trade it with another cruiser, etc. With the exception of all Calder, Chapman's, etc. which I'd rather have the actual book anyway.
None of course but the thing holds like 3000.

Calder etc., absolutley a hard copy on board.

And there are places to get books a lot cheaper. Like in the days of music downloads. Lots of stuff out there.

When you are in a trading place you may not find what you want.

Ahh, wants and needs again eh?
Old 14-07-2010, 19:01   #44
Marine Service Provider

Good point! Damn, I may need to get one of these now. Right after upgrading the iPhone, parts for the compressor. Well maybe I'll wait until I finish with the hard copies I have now.
Old 22-07-2010, 07:48   #45

Multihulls Magazine

In the last 3 issues of Multihulls in 2009 the editorial informed readers that the Print issue was being discontinued and the magazine would only be available online in 2010. The digital issue was always totally seperate and is published by some of the staff of the Printed magazine who lost their jobs when the Printed edition did go bankrupt. They only ever collected subscriptions for digital issues, never for printed issues. However when the printed issue went bankrupt every print subscriber was offered the chance to convert their unexpired print subscription into a digital subscription for FREE so in fact instead of losing the entire subscription subscribers actually got something out of it rather than the alternative.

Numerous attempts have been made to see if there was enough demand for a printed issue at a price that would actually cover the costs but obviously there were not enough people willing to pay for such a product...or maybe I am just getting old and not in touch with today's internet savvy generation!

I personally prefer paper magazines but the economics of 2010 and the current yachting industry simply do not seem to be able to support this option.
weemac is offline   Reply With Quote