Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 02:26   #1

Best Value V's Liveaboard-ability!

OK opinion time. I'd like to buy a new cat, have had a smaller monohull for a number of years & yeah I'm sick of heeling & want something to cruise in. I'd like to do extended SE Asia cruising from Australia. The new purchase must have "everything" - extended tanks, 100 ltr/hr water maker, big genset, lotsa batteries, air-con, 55hp motors, decent sailing performance (but remember I'm cruising not racing so it doesn't matter to me if it takes another 3 days to get to where-ever), 2 sets of sails, 3 cabins (owner), blah blah....... the best equipment. My budget is AUD$750k (for everything) which is roughly US$782,000 or EUR$600,000 (including shipping to Oz). I like the Lagoon 450 or the Fontaine Pajot 48 for layout, quality & robustness (they haven't sold 100's around the world because they are crap). Anyway can anyone point me in a better direction please? & are their any dealers out there listening that need to sell one (if so I'd expect it to be shipped to Oz within the price). Opinions please or if you think so, tell me I'm dreaming! Thanks.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 05:58   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Best Value V's Liveaboard-ability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
OK opinion time. I'd like to buy a new cat, have had a smaller monohull for a number of years & yeah I'm sick of heeling & want something to cruise in. I'd like to do extended SE Asia cruising from Australia. The new purchase must have "everything" - extended tanks, 100 ltr/hr water maker, big genset, lotsa batteries, air-con, 55hp motors, decent sailing performance (but remember I'm cruising not racing so it doesn't matter to me if it takes another 3 days to get to where-ever), 2 sets of sails, 3 cabins (owner), blah blah....... the best equipment. My budget is AUD$750k (for everything) which is roughly US$782,000 or EUR$600,000 (including shipping to Oz). I like the Lagoon 450 or the Fontaine Pajot 48 for layout, quality & robustness (they haven't sold 100's around the world because they are crap). Anyway can anyone point me in a better direction please? & are their any dealers out there listening that need to sell one (if so I'd expect it to be shipped to Oz within the price). Opinions please or if you think so, tell me I'm dreaming! Thanks.
You could get a slightly used Outremer 49 for that. Shipping and duties would be extra. Maybe.
Old 18-09-2012, 05:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wario.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:40   #4

Boat: Outremer 5X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You could get a slightly used Outremer 49 for that. Shipping and duties would be extra. Maybe.
2011 Outremer 49 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Ask is spot on your budget

Much better under sail than an FP or a Lagoon. You do trade some space for that, but IMO only in the spaces you don't really use much - where you sleep rather than where you live. Plus they are very seldom charter vessels so you don't have 4 heads which you don't need and take up valuable space. Owners version has 3 cabins and a large head/shower in the port hull - the one I linked is a 4 cabin version. There are several more for sale.

I really recommend sailing on a few different cats. I'd chartered several FPs and lovely as they are to live on IMHO they don't sail too well after a monohull. An Outremer will give you plenty of sailing joy as well.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 04:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Wario,
Welcome to the CF, this area is a great place to source info and help through the choices out there.
Good luck, we have chosen the new FP He'lia 44, and for the mid 500's Au$ you can pick her up in La Rochelle France and have the adventure of a lifetime.

Catamarans Fountaine Pajot

Multihull Solutions in Mooloolaba are the people to speak to in Aus, they can also help you negotiate an overseas purchase, no extra cost to you, and you then have their support bringing the boat home and sort any problems out for you.

Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote