Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09   #61
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Ok Darby, go with the Catana. You'll join that group of purist Franco-sailors who like to run around their boat in the buff. Ok, so you'll sail faster, closer to the wind, etc. then me but --- oh - I don't have a point, my thoughts where just drifting.

I do want to applaud you for taking the time to investigate this though. I wish my wife would have had some interest in in the planning stages of your boating experience. You'll make a good first mate.

Now, since I didn't start this thread, I can sign out - good luck.
David.
__________________

__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:50   #62
Registered User
 
Jeannius's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcester U.K.
Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Posts: 840
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Palarran .... I am sailing this ship to it's final destination! As long as you all are here to naviagte the passage with me However, I might get some crap about what I'm getting ready to say. I think I am just in love with the Catanas. Maybe it's just a woman thing and yes they are pricey, but they are just made well and have a nice flow for living aboard.

Sailing and life aboard? I know nothing about other than what others tell me. Budget? Wheew, but I like the older ones very much and Sand Crab says the older ones are built well. Apparently, their (Catana) assymetric hulls, high bridgebeck, daggerboards, and trampoline make them ideal for blue water. So, I can either A. Keep savng. B. Win the Florida Powerball C. Take $5 from each poster who drifts of hijacks a thread, in which case I will be buying my Catana in VERY short order.

I vote C and the question them, what to name her.

Darby
Catana are almost perfect catamarans with one enormous fault - in my opinion - The helm position.

I seriously considered buying a new 431 back in 2002 but eventually just couldn't contemplate sitting at the helm and being fried by the sun if the weather is good or sitting totally exposed to wind and wave if the weather is bad. I even asked Catana if the helm could be moved but was told no.

Never once regretted not buying one in the last 9 years and 38000nm aboard my Privilege.
__________________

__________________
Mike

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18   #63
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

+1.... Catanas are the perfect cat if you can live with the helm position. They are well built with Twaron (kevlar) in key places in the hulls and the interiors are way better than most. They can carry a good load without complaining and have great bridgedeck clearance. And there were few issues on boats built before 2000. Even after that I would say they are about even or ahead of Lagoon in the bitchin dept. And that's just some boats. (I read the threads) They won boat of the year for the 471 and the 50, I think. Both of those boats rock. I'd take one of those over just about any comparable sized boat by just about anybody. Some have built awnings or little biminis over the helms so there you go. My 2 cents
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48   #64
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Ok Darby, go with the Catana. You'll join that group of purist Franco-sailors who like to run around their boat in the buff. Ok, so you'll sail faster, closer to the wind, etc. then me but --- oh - I don't have a point, my thoughts where just drifting.

I do want to applaud you for taking the time to investigate this though. I wish my wife would have had some interest in in the planning stages of your boating experience. You'll make a good first mate.

Now, since I didn't start this thread, I can sign out - good luck.
David.
Funny David .... Don't leave yet. I found a boat. But I have to take up a collection now. LOL
__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52   #65
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
+1.... Catanas are the perfect cat if you can live with the helm position. They are well built with Twaron (kevlar) in key places in the hulls and the interiors are way better than most. They can carry a good load without complaining and have great bridgedeck clearance. And there were few issues on boats built before 2000. Even after that I would say they are about even or ahead of Lagoon in the bitchin dept. And that's just some boats. (I read the threads) They won boat of the year for the 471 and the 50, I think. Both of those boats rock. I'd take one of those over just about any comparable sized boat by just about anybody. Some have built awnings or little biminis over the helms so there you go. My 2 cents
SandCrab ..... I agree with you and Jeannius .... there will have to be a bimini over the helm! We have a bimini and a dodger on our Tartan and in Florida, the bimini stays up all the time.

But look .... I found her guys! Send Money, Please. In fact, I think I'll post her on the Dream Boat thread.

Thanks,
Darby
__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53   #66
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Here she is:

EYB – Second hand boats - powerboats and sailing boats - Ads[d]=1&d[p]=1#tab6

And while I would prefer a white hull, I think I can suffer through.

We can all fit on this one!

WOW!
Darby
__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:07   #67
Registered User
 
Multihull's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 158
Yellow ?

It reminds me of a pink submarine. Or was that yellow too?
__________________
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:14   #68
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Get the Powerball ticket. LOL
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:15   #69
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
Yellow ?

It reminds me of a pink submarine. Or was that yellow too?
That was yellow too!

__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:17   #70
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Get the Powerball ticket. LOL
I know, right?! And then, who cares about headwinds. If we win, you are all invited aboard for the celebration!
__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:33   #71
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Here she is:

EYB – Second hand boats - powerboats and sailing boats - Ads[d]=1&d[p]=1#tab6

And while I would prefer a white hull, I think I can suffer through.

We can all fit on this one!

WOW!
Darby
Yes, that is a LaRouge design - one of the designers I mentioned earlier that make fast boats that are not well known in the US. You can get smaller models. That one has fixed keels. LaRouge designs both fixed and daggers versions and manages to get fantastic upwind performance out of both.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:46   #72
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, that is a LaRouge design - one of the designers I mentioned earlier that make fast boats that are not well known in the US. You can get smaller models. That one has fixed keels. LaRouge designs both fixed and daggers versions and manages to get fantastic upwind performance out of both.

Mark
I love the LaRouge design, and since I am dreaming anyway, I would just prefer it on a white hull. What a beauty she is! Certainly, I would never spend that much money on a boat -- even if I had the money, but she is good to look at. Thanks for the information, maybe I will include the smaller and older models in my search and research them too. Can you tell I am a researcher by profession?! LOL

Darby
__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:02   #73
Registered User
 
Cruising Couple's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 187
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Mark unless there is a Hot Wheels version of the Amber Cat .... it isn't going to happen. That didn't take much research to discover they don't make them small enough and they haven't been making them long enough for us to be able to purchase one. LOL

It appears there are two for sale worldwide, both ~$2M US.

Well, it's fun to window show anyway.
__________________
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:28   #74
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
I know, right?! And then, who cares about headwinds. If we win, you are all invited aboard for the celebration!
And you know what? You'll fit every one of us on board that monster. Each of us can probably have our own stateroom
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:30   #75
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,172
Images: 15
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

While you're dreaming, check out the Gunboat. Faster than all of 'em.
__________________

__________________
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Water Cruiser - Walkabout Questions axel614 Commercial Posts 0 31-01-2012 11:56
Refilling Water Tanks ironhorserider2 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 19 29-09-2011 07:01
Blue Water Boat for ~$30k USD ? jlstanch Dollars & Cents 22 26-07-2011 20:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.