Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 15:16   #31

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hmmmm never heard of a cat 5 hurricane of the Grand Banks..... ever. Maybe I'm wrong.

MAJOR DRIFT
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:16   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hoskins
Upwind, Blue water and Catamaran are not words that should be used in the same sentence.

I once owned a 42ft cat, took it out on the ocean in some very rough weather and it the the s**t out of me. And this from a delivery skipper who has crossed the Atlantic over 30 times in everything from 22ft to 90ft solo and with crew. The last big blow was 4 days of a hurricane off the Grand Banks. 150 knots of wind, 60ft waves. If I had been in a catamaran I wouldn't be typing this today
And you know this because you have firsthand experience of being on a cat in 150 mile an hour winds and 60 foot seas? Oh that's right your still typing so I take it you don't have that experience.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:36   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Catamarans can be very good at sailing upwind. Often, what they lose on pointing, they gain in speed. Since sailing a wider angle can be more comfortable, the overall balance will be positive to VERY positive.

I am not sure there is BEST as best is many things: fastest, most comfortable, most efficient?

Anyways, some Catanas are very good upwind (yes: daggerboards, no spreaders, foil carbon masts, etc.). They also tend to be quite strong built - with carbon and twaron structural reinforcement.

Alas, as I said, there are plenty others that can be at least this good and still others that will be better.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:40   #34

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Catamarans can be very good at sailing upwind. Often, what they lose on pointing, they gain in speed. Since sailing a wider angle can be more comfortable, the overall balance will be positive to VERY positive.

I am not sure there is BEST as best is many things: fastest, most comfortable, most efficient?

Anyways, some Catanas are very good upwind (yes: daggerboards, no spreaders, foil carbon masts, etc.). They also tend to be quite strong built - with carbon and twaron structural reinforcement.

Alas, as I said, there are plenty others that can be at least this good and still others that will be better.

Cheers,
b.
The Chris White cats come to mind.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:45   #35
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Going ..... Going ..... Gone LOL

VMG. Got it. Apparently, this is my husband concern for having a cat that can sail upwing, as he wants to wants to circumnavigate just as his parents did for 11 years.

Thanks guys!
Darby

Sorry Darby, I'll try to stay focused.

You might not know this but almost all circumnavagations are done downwind. Typically only sailors who want to go "against the grain" go the otherway. Maybe 2% (that's a pure guess).

My take on it is you personally will love being on a cat with all the comforts it brings. Your husband may not. Though he may develop a liking with the ease it gives of handling. Twin motors, stable ride, etc.

I love the feeling of mono's. I haven't been able to get the same thrill from cats. But for long journeys and how much you will spend at anchor, they are really a great option.
Old 02-02-2012, 15:46   #36

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here's that Crowther. Might be able to get it for $200K
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=22624&url=
Old 02-02-2012, 15:49   #37

Boat: Catana, Tennant "Dakota 33", C-Dory 19, X-Cat, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
They're great, but the OP is on a budget. Even the used ones on yachtworld aren't close; they command a high resale value.

The OP might also want to consider slightly smaller cats. For example, the KatieKat crew did the Pacific Rim on their 36' Seawind 1000.
[ Welcome to Siudzinski KatieKat ]

One poster mentioned the helm position of the Catana; I am in total agreement. You will ROAST out there. My wife and I saw a 50' Catana a few years back at a show, and joked that a paid captain would be cooking in the sun while a chef made us daiquiris
myosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:49   #38
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Ok Downunder - now stay focused
No way are you going to get one for under $200k max. Also, did you read that Avada blog? They had a ton of problems with their CW cat. It seemed to me that something was always broke.
Old 02-02-2012, 16:00   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

But why circumnavigate upwind AND in a cat?

For upwind circumnavigation I would go for a long sleek mono.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Ok Downwind - now stay focused
No way are you going to get one for under $200k max. Also, did you read that Avada blog? They had a ton of problems with their CW cat. It seemed to me that something was always broke.
I recall story in USA sailing mags someone with a brand new Catana 50 with heaps of problems. Can happen in many makes.

Perhaps there is a CW 42 about somewhere in their budget not an Awoplast built one.
Old 02-02-2012, 16:11   #41

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Cheapest Chris White Atlantic is this one at almost $400K.
Chris White Designs (S. Dartmouth, MA)&
or this non Atlantic at $369K
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&ywo=cwdesigns&
No way it's a 200K boat. Moving on.
Old 02-02-2012, 16:50   #42

I got caught in the hurricane on the tail of the grand banks in September after I was becalmed on the George Banks for 6 weeks with a broken down engine on a 30ft sailboat attempting a solo Northern crossing.

For those who don't think that the Grand Banks doesn't get hurricanes in September, read 'The Perfect Storm' or watch the film. I was 10 miles away from the last reported position of the Andrea Gail but 10 years later!

But the story did have an upside!

I got towed in to Newfoundland by the Canadian Coastguard, stayed for the winter and met and married my wife who, although had never been on a sailboat before, loves the life!

George
George Hoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 17:02   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hoskins View Post
I
But the story did have an upside!

I got towed in to Newfoundland by the Canadian Coastguard, stayed for the winter and met and married my wife who, although had never been on a sailboat before, loves the life!

George
Now thats more unbeliable

Great.
Old 02-02-2012, 17:05   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Here's that Crowther. Might be able to get it for $200K
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=22624&url=
Nice find sand crab. Looks like a crowther 44 (deign 85) with 10 foot stern extensions. Stern extensions are a sign that the vessel is overloaded. This particular boat is around 40% heavier than the designer intended ( displacement advertised at 25000 lb ,designed 18000 lb) . Be wary of multihulls displacing more than the designer intended. The extra weight erodes or even cancels out structural design safety factors among other things.
Regards
Old 02-02-2012, 17:06   #45
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Going ..... Going ..... Gone LOL

VMG. Got it. Apparently, this is my husband concern for having a cat that can sail upwing, as he wants to wants to circumnavigate just as his parents did for 11 years.

Thanks guys!
Darby
Time for me to weigh in. First, your husband is correct, monos are better going to weather. Not as much as you'd think, though they are better at it....But.... (you knew there'd be a 'but'..)

First, gentlemen don't go to weather as it will beat the cr*p out of you no matter what kind of boat you have in the GRP pleasure boat category. When I was 25 years old, I loved it ...now that I'm 60, not so much.

2nd, your husband should know that circumnavigations are done with the trade winds ... not against them. A point of sail catamarans were bred for.

3rd, I'd argue that catamarans are safer ... yes I've been through a hurricane in my Catalac (story on my website) and been struck by lightning and... oh never mind, you get the point. 2 hulls, 2 engines, a stable platform and unsinkable hulls.

Lastly, circumnavigations aside, in the lifespan of any boat 99% of it's life is spend at anchor or on the hook. Catamarans can not be beat in this area, and make the absolute best live aboards available.

And this is just the "short list"

On the negative side. The motion is different. Boat motion on a mono is attenuated by their heavy lead keels. They move through the water as opposed to a catamaran which travels "on" the water. On a run, or a reach, I prefer the motion of a catamaran. Going to weather, I prefer the motion of a mono. This is an honest assessment.

Remember...all boats are a compromise...
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water