Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 13:27   #1

Boat: Fontaine Pagot Helia Evolution 44
BEST SOFT FURLER FOR THE MONEY (singlehanding Cat)?

BEST SOFT FURLER FOR THE MONEY? (code zero on Cat bowsprit)

Hello my amazing Forum brothers and sisters--the only ones I actually trust, and I freakin love each and every one of you, no lie.
Trying to full-time deep blue nasty weather cruise my FP Helia 44, flying code zero off bowsprit, often single handed. What I know about soft furlers (manual not power assist) comes from talk or
https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/cho...furling-system

You ALL know what I mean when I say I'm willing to spend to get something that's really better, but not throwing lots of cash without reason, like to get the product line that says "racing" on the box.....which is why I so appreciate your input.
Harken, Profurl, Facnor, Reckmann, Seldén/Furlex, CDI?

Fairly old & fairly incompetent & having like maybe one of these in me this lifetime, knowing they seem to UNWRAP/lock/break/wrap at bad times, I really really could use ANY real info. Even like what you thought you heard once about somebody liking one over the other is very appreciated!

So far I just have someone I trust who loves their Facnor, but even then no idea if LX is worth extra dough vs. LS...and some Profurl people seem to have relatively few problems...

Any ideas about how to best stop undesired loosening in the leech when the wind picks up is appreciated--have seen accidental opening and it freaks me out, and I just know I'll feel a lot better knowing what you folks do. And just because it seems obvious to you, please feel free to say it like I'm 10 years old...it took me 2 years to realize the top shelf in the FP freezer isn't meant to freeze. 2.......years.....

Thanks again to this really special community for your informative posts, great stuff!
Catamaranbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 16:46   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: BEST SOFT FURLER FOR THE MONEY (singlehanding Cat)?

I went through a similar exercise some years ago.

I went to the Southampton Boat show on the last day, late on when everybody was packing up, I questioned them about why their boats had the furlers that they had.

I was surprised. Most said that the furler came as part of the mast suppliers package. If you had a particular mast you ended up with a particular furler because someone in the supply chain had done a deal.

But, almost without exception when asked what they would have chosen they virtually all said Profurl. The one exception said Harken.

I have both Profurl fixed and loose furlers and they have both performed superbly and have been totally reliable. The bearings if you need to change them are off the shelf commercial products.

My loose furler has a drum and a single line so the lead needs to be well controlled as there is lots of line but it can be demounted easily by disconnecting at the drum and leaving the furling line in place. A continuous furler may or may not be better depending on your particular setup.

Do not undersize it, the stresses, on a cat, are huge and an under speced furler will not perform well. The halyard tension needs to be really tight especially when bringing the wind forward. Anything other than a Dyneema/Spectra halyard just wont cut it. Some sail makers will try to maximise area, meaning the leech ends up being too long. Having a shorter leech and a slightly higher clew will result in a much more stable shape and at the same time prevent wraps. Have it cut so that the foot clears the forward cross beam wires when sheeted in.

I have had 4 screechers one with twin luff lines "rubbish" and three with torque rope luffs that are significantly better.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 04:14   #3

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

We are in the midst of looking at/possibly purchasing our first cat/final vessel. My previous boats were all tris from 31-40’ with sprits. On our last one we used a continuous furler similar to this Ronstan Gen 2:

I’ve also heard good things about Profurl and Harken. We’ll be adding a sprit to our cat and will def go with a continuous line furler for the Code 0.

Talk to your local sailmaker and rigger; they’ll tell you about breakage, repairs, etc...
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 05:45   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I replaced my 20 YO Profurl with Harken and am very happy.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 12:05   #5

Thank you Tupaia--great details helpful to many especially sail shape, in past did use code zero that rubbed cross beam wires close hauled. LeeV--hope the Ronstan works well for you. Tetepare thank you for adding to emerging consensus below.

I am getting some back channel info from some other cruising brothers and sisters, and in keeping with my trying to translate these folks (who know rigging) into rigging stupid (me) I'm getting the rough idea that:

overall folks really like their Harken, and people keep saying 'installed by someone who knows what they're doing,' definitely yes to a continuous furler line, a halyard restrainer and torque rope luff.

Is this about right?

Some pointed out posts on the Sailing Anarchy site, which I never knew existed, says pretty much exactly that. My desire is always regret avoidance, and ONCE AGAIN this community has been coming to the rescue!!
Old 29-09-2019, 19:16   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have an 1100 ft2 spinnaker on a Harken Furlex 2 top down furler. Works well. And easy to attach, and rolls up in a relatively tight roll.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 19:30   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have owned 3 of the endless line Facnor FX furlers for our screechers. Loved all of them and made furling the large screecher easier than furling a self tacking jib on a standard furler. The larger the furler the easier it furled.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 20:04   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I use the Harken Reflex 2, although I'm using it on an asymmetric. You can get code 0 versions, and you can use the same furler for multiple sails. I just have the one but it works fine for me single handing. Got it down ok when the wind suddenly blew up over 20kts, and that's when you need it to work as a single hander -- coming up into the wind is not an option.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:25   #9

Hi-
Anyone have thoughts on MAIOR FURLER?
SEEMS KINDA REVOLUTIONARY?
its made by Ubi Maior Italia, and of course like its always cool new thing vs. more time tested....
https://www.sail-world.com/news/2149...Furling-System
Since probably very few have actually used it, I'd be interested in what my brothers and sisters theoretically think might be wrong about this definitely lighter system
Old 30-09-2019, 14:24   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaranbliss View Post
Hi-
its made by Ubi Maior Italia, and of course like its always cool new thing vs. more time tested....
Since probably very few have actually used it, I'd be interested in what my brothers and sisters theoretically think might be wrong about this definitely lighter system
Interesting but is sort neither one thing or the other.

A soft furler as we have been discussing here allows the furled sail to be dropped as a rolled sausage and is flexible enough to be coiled into a locker.

The Maior appears to be a new take on a fixed furler. You can furl the sail but it relies on hanks so has to be unfurled to strike the sail. Great replacement for a fixed furler where the light wind sails stay up.

Or have I got this wrong?

Personally in a strong blow or when beating to windward I would rather have a sausage in a locker or even lashed to the trampoline. Also to maximise the performance I never have UV protection on my light weather sails as they are only ever up when the conditions are right.

Just my 2p's worth.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 19:02   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaranbliss View Post
Hi-
Just ordered my 1100 square foot Code 0 from North Sails. They loved the Ubi Maior. A lot more expensive than many that do the job. Talked to two riggers and North and their recommendations for the dollar were Facnor (I went with Facnor with rachet to help control unwinding); Profurl; two were fine with Selden with one not liking it. Karver and some of the premium brands were well liked, but no one really thought worth the premium unless weight aloft was an issue as some are lighter than others but my Facnor top furler barely ways anything.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 19:00   #12

Very good points--I've now gotten more consensus--Both the Facnor LS line and the Harken Reflex 2 lines do get top marks from real cruisers seems like beating the rest and are priced similarly. Facnor LX line costs almost double, people freakin love it--(for us would be LX200)--still interested if anyone thinks it could be $2000 better? Seems crazy unless I told you how much more I think I appropriately spent on the better water maker!

Still holding up are yesses on:continuous furler line, a halyard restrainer, and now they are pointing out the ratcheting it great as singlehander preventing unwinding--its apparently an option on the Facnor and will find out on the Harken, unless someone already knows.

Tupaia makes a really important point on this Ubia Maior--though I will get UV protection sacrificing performance as said, the old salts say nasty weather sneaks up as you see if the forecast was right and with increasingly nasty weather, didn't plan on it but find yourself wanting to drop the furled code zero, and in the case of the cool looking Ubi Maior we would be singlehanded wrangling a vertically collapsed but still scary long kite on the foredeck? Is that all correct--or would the salts say its okay to leave that one up or somehow that the stowing would be less difficult than I think?

SO glad this is getting responses, pretty darn complex so I'm increasingly sure this will definitely help other folks--as usual dissent desired and appreciated.
Old 01-10-2019, 19:50   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The Facnor LX series is for genoas, not code 0. The FX4500 I think is the right one for you if you are looking for a code furler. Don't know where you are getting your Facnor prices but try mauriprosailing. I got my FX4500 for less than $3,000. The LX200 jib furler is $3381. The quote I got for the Ubi Maior was almost $8,000.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 20:11   #14

$8K YIKES!!! Thanks Zzmeyer, choice just got easier.
By the way, taking the strain I'm hearing a 2:1 system is best for the haliard--good idea?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09   #15

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I have an 1100 ft2 spinnaker on a Harken Furlex 2 top down furler. Works well. And easy to attach, and rolls up in a relatively tight roll.
Oops, I mean a Harkren Reflex 2
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, money, single, singlehanding