Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 15:21   #31
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Best Cruising Multi - mid 40's - $450,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter Cat View Post
Surely a 2004 L440 having spent its entire life in charter vs. a lightly used privately used 2010 well equiped boat will fetch some very different prices. The latter probably a 50-75% higher price than the old charter boat.

I myself will buy a cat in about 3 months (L440 is on my short list). Figuring out the market price is hard though. Its not like a house where there in most countries is easy to get very solid "sold price" data. I haven't decied if working with a "buying broker" is the right way. They do have access to soldboats.com which I think was is being referred to above, but I'm not sure how reliable that data is.
We agree with all that.

FWIW, we didn't use a buying broker, but only for some very unusual reasons. After struggling with 'traditional' brokers -- Therein also lies the flaw, in our experience, with the "ask your broker" approach to confirm sale prices as they often (not always, but how do you know?!?) either don't know and/or will 'bend' information to their purposes -- we bought our vessel effectively privately, BUT if we have to do it again, we will definitely use a (particular!) buying broker that gave us solid advice; saved us a lot of effort; and prevented us from making some terrible mistakes!

We should add that there will be an exception where you are fortunate enough to have a close relationship with a broker that you know you can trust; that broker should help, a lot! Like any professional service, good brokers are very valuable...and bad ones are very dangerous!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 13:03   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner Porto View Post
Serious question, and not a troll.

For the cruising comfort, living space, sea worthiness and price is there a better Cat in the mid 40 foot range that comes anywhere close to offering what the Lagoon 440 has achieved?

This is a genuine question, we have looked and looked and cannot find another boat that offers all that the Lagoon 440 has to offer.

The wife loves the space on offer and whilst not the fastest multi they are not slouches.

There are things I do not like such as sail drives and height of boom, neither of which is a show stopper, and owners seem to have very positive reports.

So are there other cats that we should be seriously considering, for me as long as it has sails I will be happy, but the Mrs wants creature comforts.

Thanks
Hi , We looked all over the world for 6 months for a 40ft + cruising Cat and after seeing and trying nearly every type of Cat in this bracket found that the 440 was the best all round answer for us, they are exceptional boats in nearly every way , especially liveability and i believe will become a very sort after vessel in the future, try to find a lightly used pre 2008 well looked after model,they have a much nicer cherry interior and better quality fittings, try to stay away from Ex Charter boats as they are all pretty all well worn , like buying an ex Taxi with 300000+ miles say a lot of people , the best buys seem to be in Europe but cost a lot to get them ready to sail to the Caribbean.
If you need any tips let me know, I learnt a lot on our travels.
We have been living aboard for over 3+ years full time and to be honest nothing to complain about as long as you keep up maintenance and use her.
Huggi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53   #33
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Hi, everybody!

IMHO when discussing production cats their owners are to some extend "blind" as they love their boats from the very beginning they started dreaming of their first "P"/"F"/"L"/... built beauty.

Really catamaran skippers' can tell "more truth" about each and every cat they sailed.

My personal experience after trying number of cats is as simple as that:

if I only have a chance to own her I will then build a cat of my specified/chosen architecture, on a small yard, using materials/technology of my own choice, and under my personal supervision.

Have a wind You need for Your sails!
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 00:02   #34

Hi all
Thank you for all of your thoughts
Will keep you posted on how we get on
SD
Sundowner Porto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising