Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 05:23   #1

Boat: looking for catamaran after monohull was sold recently.
Best Country to Buy a Cat?

If one would be interested in buying a smaller cat (38' to 40') new, what would be the best place to buy? Are they less expensive in the land of origin (South Africa, France, Australia , to name some)?
Also instead of ordering more or less outfitted, would it make sense to order the basic model (they are really stripped down these days) and install all the add-ons (instrumentation, autopilot, watermaker, and more) myself?
I believe I should fully know and understand every system on board. By installing myself I would gain this knowledge an would really know the quality of the installtion.
The objective is to get a cat and start a fulltime cruising live (starting summer 2011), perhaps doing a circumnavivation. While im in the US (Eastcoast) I don't need a US base (home, condo ) to come back to.
Has anybody done anything like it? I read a post about someone buying his cat in SA just to sell it for much more what he paid for, just to do it over again.
While I am less concerned about gaining money through re-selling, it might be an alternative to buying used.

Thanks for any input.
Volkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 05:31   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I would think that a lot would depend on the state of exchange between the currency where you earn your money and the currency where you spend it.

But buying a cat at the source and sailing it home yourself should at least save you the transport costs and all the profits the middlemen in the process get out of the final purchase price in your home country..
Old 17-01-2010, 06:14   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Australia & the Philippines deserve a good look........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 12:26   #4

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Besides the already mentioned exchange rate and your capital base factor I think you should first of all decide on which model of a cat you want.

If it is a production boat your choices are basically limited to dealing directly with the yard or through their foreign agent.

If it is not a production boat but a one-design / one-off build then you can look into various countries and their boatyards. Check on the yard's reputation and that country's legal system as to buyer protection. Employ an independent surveyor reporting directly to you. Check out all tax issues and possible refund issues / refund timings thereof - I have heard of VAT refunds of VAT taking more than 12 months after physical exportation here in South Africa. Also important are that country's temporary importation laws and handling of shipments for all the equipment you might be bringing in - large handling fees / bribes to clear a shipment can play havoc with your budget in third-world countries. Make a "professional" cash-flow analysis!

It will of course always be good to know the intricacies and workings of your boat as best as you can, provided you have that technical knowledge / understanding (which I don't have!) and the installation "finesse" to do a proper job yourself.
Old 17-01-2010, 17:01   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
US and West Indies (because of charter bases), Europe (because of supply from French boatyards).

If you are willing to fly you may find a good cat where others decided the dream was just too boring.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:27   #6

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Philipines

Mate of mine is getting a boat built in the Philipines now (Link below). It's built in plywood about 40 or 45 ft (not sure). I think it is almost complete with yanmar engines and saildrive. He's hoping to get it done for about
A$200 000. Philipine labor but supervised by an English Builder. Boat is modified design with finer bows.

Seems happy with the job. One problem, sometimes you order expensive gear from overseas and it gets "lost" in the mail system.

http://www.tongo-sail-inn.netfirms.com/catamaran_builder.html

Lot of boat for the money

Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 19:00   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Got an email from a broker today trying to list my cat and he said the last 10 of 12 boats his company sold were shipped to other countries and that sales were hot.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 15:16   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Google up boat builders Philippines, and it will give you a wide choice. I have seen this company, and I am going to give them a look see. So far Cebu is on my hotlist........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote