Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2007, 05:12   #1

Best Cat's for Ocean Passages?

I am just wondering what everyone thinks to be the best Cat for Ocean Passages. I don't know much about Cat's yet, hence the reason I am asking. Also, why the paticular Cat would be an excellent Passagemaker. All based on the strength, stability, durability and reliability. However if you like one because of comfort, I would love to hear about that also.

I am a very new Sailor with very little experience and even though I have no plan to attempt anything like an ocean passage until I am extremely comfortable. At this point in time, I would like to plan and make sure that the Cat I would be in would be fully capable of making the trip ahead of time. Thanks.

Lundy
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 07:00   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
There are actually many different cats that are good or great bluewater cruisers. Some fall into the light and fast like the Gunboats, others are heavy and slow like the older prouts, and many in between. Our cat Makai is a maixm/voyage 380 and is a great cruiser. We have put many miles under the keels.

The issue is not which one is best, almost everyone has an opinion on that, but which is the best for your given tastes and circumstances. Some like light and fast, boards or mini keels, etc.... We happen to like the quality and sailing abilty of the Voyage line.

You say you don't have experience of ocean passages. I would recommend getting the experince by sailing on as many different boats as possible to determine what you like and want. I have been sailing for over 30 years but Makai is my first cruising cat. Although it is a great boat and we love it, but we decided we want something bigger (other than that we love the layout and setup). This is a direct result of our experinces. The point is if you are looking to buy the end all as your first boat the learning curve may show you that it wasn't your best choice and something different (our case bigger) would have been better. Most peoples budget can't take a second boat purchase and re-outfit.

Though if we decide we can't handle shoreside to much longer we will load Makai and head out again.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 14:15   #3

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
You need to provide a price bracket to get a sensible answer.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 15:08   #4

Fountaine Pajot Catamarans from America's #1 dealer, Bay Yacht Agency Page Bay Yacht Agency Group..

Fountaine Pajot Catamarans from America's #1 dealer, Bay Yacht Agency Page Bay Yacht Agency Group..

Lundy: Te recomiendo que leas: Good Cat, Bad Cat?

Te puede servir de orientación.

Un saludo. César.
Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote