Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Best berth for sleeping at sea?
Forward Bridgedeck? 2 5.00%
Forward in a Hull? 1 2.50%
Aft? 22 55.00%
In the middle? 14 35.00%
Oriented fore-and-aft? 10 25.00%
Athwartship? 5 12.50%
On an angle? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2008, 18:27   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Which way round are you?

Are you head towards the bow?

FWIW, we make a point of switching our head position during a passage. We put our feet towards the bow and our heads towards the stern. That way if we run into to something at high speed, our feet can absorb the shock rather than having our heads compress into our necks.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
My Master's berth keeps my head next to the mast at the exact center of the boat. I never have a problem sleeping there underway. If we are on an uncomfortable point of sail, and my body moves around, I just tuck some pillows under me.

My wife likes to take the benched wedged under the table. Once again it depends on which point of sail we are on. For her to choose which sette to sleep in.
Old 30-06-2008, 13:17   #17

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I prefer aft, or middle just think "POSH" Port Out, Starboard Home.
Old 30-06-2008, 13:48   #18

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
when my wife and I would do offshore passages, we would either be in the cockpit (which can be incredibly protected if you have a wrap around enclosure) or on the settee (which again is incredibly comfortable). You just don't want to be far enough that a someone yelling over the wind can't get you up. An L shaped settee is great for that. If you've got a big enough crew, then aft cabins are good. But the 99% of the time you are at anchor, forward births have wonderful ventilation, really a positive. Nothing beats a cool breeze flowing over you at anchor, and the shape of most of the decks of cats and the hatches over head act as a wind tunnel so you wouldn't have a need for a wind sock. If you've got young kids, such as toddlers or babies, a birth that is really wide helps because the kids will want to sleep with you, and you with them for security. Also side cupboards next to the births can have the doors removed and be used as small little births for infants. Last with small crawling age kids you can secure the typical bridgedeck births with two sets of stainless hand hold bars and run netting between to prevent them from spilling out at nap time.
Can you tell we brought our new born home from the hospital to the boat ? Oh, if it were teenagers, I'd sleep aft birth opposite the swimladder. That's the side they'd need to board and unboard to go into the dingy. Any attempts to leave ship in the middle of the night and you'll know!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 13:42   #19

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
when my wife and I would do offshore passages, we would either be in the cockpit (which can be incredibly protected if you have a wrap around enclosure) or on the settee (which again is incredibly comfortable). You just don't want to be far enough that a someone yelling over the wind can't get you up. An L shaped settee is great for that. If you've got a big enough crew, then aft cabins are good. But the 99% of the time you are at anchor, forward births have wonderful ventilation, really a positive. Nothing beats a cool breeze flowing over you at anchor, and the shape of most of the decks of cats and the hatches over head act as a wind tunnel so you wouldn't have a need for a wind sock. If you've got young kids, such as toddlers or babies, a birth that is really wide helps because the kids will want to sleep with you, and you with them for security. Also side cupboards next to the births can have the doors removed and be used as small little births for infants. Last with small crawling age kids you can secure the typical bridgedeck births with two sets of stainless hand hold bars and run netting between to prevent them from spilling out at nap time.
Can you tell we brought our new born home from the hospital to the boat ? Oh, if it were teenagers, I'd sleep aft birth opposite the swimladder. That's the side they'd need to board and unboard to go into the dingy. Any attempts to leave ship in the middle of the night and you'll know!
Trapping us!? thats mean, no actually thats a good idea that way we can't get into that much trouble and hurt ourself or somthing=).

Tags
cabin