Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 14:31   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Best Built Midsized Cats

Was trying to think of a 32 foot boat that had similar or even remotely like a smuch room as us, and failed.

We're currently anchored next to a Lagoon 380. They have roomier hulls, but we have a considerably bigger saloon and cockpit.

Just for my info JJB, what 32 footer is bigger than a Lagoon 380?

Old 31-12-2011, 16:21   #47

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

JJB,

First FF 46 is in water now, will have stick on and be sailing by end of Janurary.

Under power did 11 knots with wrong props and these will be changed when set up a full crusing weight by end jan. This gives an indication how she might sail.

hull 2 will start construction in Peru in Feb.

looking good and meating expectations so far.

Old 31-12-2011, 18:26   #48

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I guess the thing to look at in any sized catamaran is the beds, we have thank god a queen sized bed in our Gemini and 2 std double beds in the aft cabins. The one time my wife and I slept in the aft stateroom it was not comfortable ( solo it's ok ) and If we have guests we'll not expect the double beds to be comfortable unless there a smaller couple that are used to double beds. The other thing I always asked was can a 6ft guy can set up straight in the beds without hitting my head, a lot of boats are built for folks 5 ft 2 inch tall and 145 pounds and if you are that size there a lot of boats you can fit in.
Old 31-12-2011, 18:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
JJB,

First FF 46 is in water now, will have stick on and be sailing by end of Janurary.

Under power did 11 knots with wrong props and these will be changed when set up a full crusing weight by end jan. This gives an indication how she might sail.

hull 2 will start construction in Peru in Feb.

looking good and meeting expectations so far.
Just adding a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	best stern view.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	35409  
Old 31-12-2011, 18:47   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Just adding a photo
The bridge deck clearance on that looks awesome!

It is on a lift though right?

Now if they would just (please) put a Manta davit/arch/hammock on it..................
Old 31-12-2011, 18:47   #51

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Nice looking cat where's the mast and rigging ?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21   #52

Check earlier posts

Old 02-01-2012, 13:14   #53

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But as a practical matter, I'm going to buy a boat that's available on the East coast of the USA or in the Carribean from a maufacturer with an authorized U.S. distributor, so that parts are readily available and warranties will be honored. That probably means a volume builder.
Check out the Voyage 450, based on the Voyage 440. that boat won Best Cruiser of the Year sometime back. All the factory has done is improve the boat. They have a wide beam to length ratio and are super stable. The factory takes great care in the build, nothing is rushed and if something is not right it is corrected before it leaves the factory. We just had a new 520 completed and had gone to the factory to see it just before launch, there was an issue with the non skid in the cockpit and it was grinded out and new panels glassed in instead of just patching over it.

Go to the Voyage base(main agent for Voyage) in Tortola and look at the charter fleet, there are some boats there that have been chartered for more than ten years and they look fantastic. That is one reason we are getting a new Voyage because we have really enjoyed our 470 charter version(for sale now, sort of) and want an owner version. We saw how all the boats there have held up to charter use for years, so under an owners use and care it should be even better.

Fair winds and Good luck!!
Old 02-01-2012, 14:50   #54

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37

I have a Privilege 37. It is a VERY well built boat. The systems are well implemented, the finish is outstanding, the constructions is very solid, the cost is outrageous.

I have gone through 2 hurricanes with the boat tied up to the docks via the cleats, no stress issues. I have had occasion to replace the main traveler rope clutches, they where mounted on backing plates. I have gone through the electrical systems, it was well done until a prior owner decided to cut and splice lines. I replaced the entire lines. They were all routed within conduits with VERY annoying regular tie downs. I had a hose fail (Hot water line with a bit too much pressure and temperature I suspect, Turning up the heat at the tank might not have been the brightest idea).

The boat is VERY dry, except for one hatch (Lewmar) that needs the latches replaced. Three hatches are fairly well crazed, but they are 14 years old. I have Lewmar winches.
They are very reliable, no failures. Replaced the anchor winch because of a impending rust failure.

The boat has a water tight collision bulkhead in the bows. Double hulls throughout the underwater sections of the boat. It is a cored hull on the topside, solid fiberglass on the bottom (removed a couple through hulls and reglassed).

The rudders are VERY stout. The bushings for the rudder are Duralon and are subject to swelling. This can be fixed however by removing rudders and dressing them up every 10-15 years or so.

It is a bit under-sailed, or a bit heavy in a cruising configuration. I will say however that it has surprised me how well it sails when I am not loaded down to the waterline however.

I have been trying to figure out how to replace the shower fixture without cutting the nice shower pan. No insight yet. I think the mounted the fixtures into the shower shell then dropped the deck hull on top. Can't see an easy way to get to the back of the fixture to remove the retaining nuts... Annoying, but one of these days I'll figure something out.

No rust on any of the stainless fittings, have to assume they are all 316 stainless. The plastic covered lifelines leave a bit to be desired, but that was the standard then. They are lower down on my list to replace cause I don't see any rust on them at this point.

There are some stress cracks in the gel coat in the corners of the cockpit. This is the only possibly a design flaw I have been able to identify. It is more asthetics than anything, but I suspect there is flexing in the deck that resulted in the cracks. I will probably groove this out, refill and then paint the interior cockpit. Can't imagine getting to the underside and reinforcing with Kevlar or such.

So, Just a few of my musings.

Keith

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: