Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2007, 08:50   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Best boat show for ~40 foot catamarans?

Hi folks!

I'm trying to figure out which boat show is the best place to see/touch/poke/prod offshore capable cruising cats in the 40 foot range. I figure it's probably either Annapolis or Miami, but was uncertain if either was more geared towards cats (maybe Miami because it's closer to areas where chartering is common?).

We're located in Chicago and have only attended the local Strictly Sail. We won't have enough vacation time to attend multiple shows, so we want to make sure we hit the best one.

Any feedback or advice is welcome.

Thanks-

Matt
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 09:49   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, Matt, and welcome.

I would say either Annapolis or Miami, really a toss-up. Miami usually has better weather (especially for escaping from winter), but have to put up with the Miami "attitude", hotels are expensive, and the traffic is horrible.

This year, we found that staying in S. Beach was actually quite convenient. The show runs a free shuttle over to Strictly Sail that was prompt, clean and convenient. Some of the little art deco hotels are somewhat reasonable (for Miami) and within easy walking distance to a variety of restaurants, etc. We paired the show with a trip down to the Keys for scuba training after the show. Made for a very pleasant vacation away from the cold and the rain.

Annapolis is also crowded during the show, but the hotels are slightly less expensive and being close to all the history makes for a nice vacation, too.

The other shows just don't have the concentration of cruising cats to make them worthwhile

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 07:49   #3

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I live in Annapolis and have been going to the boat show here for around 10 years. Miami is better, no question. Many of the boat builders who build great boats designed more for owners than charter companies only do Miami. African Cats, Admiral, St Francis, Dean, Outremer, Privilege, Dolphin, don't go to Annapolis, but do Florida. From people who've travelled to both, while Annapolis is big, Florida is absolutely huge. I really wish they had more cats here obviously, but I've even thought of going down to Florida for the boat shows to see the catamarans. IF you are interested in PDQ, Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Gunboat, Moorings, than Annapolis would be good, but get a rental car and get hotel reservations a bit removed from town in some place like Bowie. It gets real expensive around here during those two weeks.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 07:25   #4

Boat: Privilege 482
Thanks for the advice. I'm still up in the air. Annapolis is an easier drive, but I like the thought of combining the show with a bit of vacation/diving down in the Keys. Guess I'll wait and see how the next few months play out.....

Matt
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 22:54   #5

Boat: Ovni 445
Since I missed Miami this year, I might head over to Annapolis ... or make the over 10 month tough wait until Miami hosts again.

Does anybody know which boat shows in Europe or Asia are good?

I'm mainly interested in seeing: Manta, Broadblue, Fountaine-Pajot, Privilege and Lagoon ... though the more the merrier!
Old 14-04-2007, 00:06   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009
Since I missed Miami this year, I might head over to Annapolis ... or make the over 10 month tough wait until Miami hosts again.

Does anybody know which boat shows in Europe or Asia are good?

I'm mainly interested in seeing: Manta, Broadblue, Fountaine-Pajot, Privilege and Lagoon ... though the more the merrier!
Southampton in September always seems to have Privilege, Fountaine Pajot, Lagoon and Broadblue. This year also had Nautitech and in previous years Catana was a regular although not last year. Get a cheap flight to London Gatwick and then you are less than an hour to Southampton. Paris in December is usually good for cats as well but Southampton is best as its on the water. You can also get on a ferry and go on over to Cowes.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 04:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Visit down under, the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show runs from 24th May thru 27th May , located near the Gold Coast and just one hours drive south from Brisbane.This would be one of the largest boat shows in the southern hemisphere. I know F.P. will have 6 boats there 4 sail and 2 power.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show