Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Wich 40ft for full time liveaboard in FL?
Bali 4.0 3 8.11%
FP Lipari 41 3 8.11%
FP Lucia 40 9 24.32%
Lagoon 39 1 2.70%
Lagoon 400 S2 11 29.73%
Leopard 40 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 15:42   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Best 40ft for full time liveaboard in SE Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Yes. You have 65 feet clearance except at Tuttle Bridge between ft Lauderdale and Miami where you must go on outside. only 55ft there.

Try to arrange some demo sails at boat show">Miami boat show so you can get on the water. Recommend water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School in Ft Lauderdale. Like Capt Jaye Melanson

Julia Tuttle is 56'
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 19:28   #32
Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
Lots of options in that price range. Nautitech Open 40, Seawind 1160, Maine Cat 38 or 41. Another option to consider, look for a older Privilege, some of them were built w/ a truly stunning master stateroom between the hulls forward of the mast. so photo 38 here 1997 Privilege 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
My issue with those is the helm. I like the Open 40 overall, but I'm not sold on the dual helm configuration.

As for the Privilege... If I was a millionaire I'd get a Privilege Series 5 brand new and shiny.
Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 19:31   #33
Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Try to arrange some demo sails at Miami boat show so you can get on the water. Recommend Blue Water Sailing School in Ft Lauderdale. Like Capt Jaye Melanson
Yup... that's the school my broker recommended. I'm thinking of booking the week long catamaran course for sometime next year... maybe during early springtime. Thanks!
Old 24-11-2016, 19:35   #34
Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Here's what I found, bigger was easier 😉

Always found slips and haul out.

Great singlehanded.

Yes, costs a bit more 😉
Hehehe... Afloat on a boat, yet sinking in debt. That's my fear.
Old 24-11-2016, 19:44   #35
Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
Check out my link https://buildingmytrimaran.shutterfly.com/ where you can see the pictures of my boat.
Great picture with the glacier in the backdrop. That's a very cool trimaran, indeed. Probably not my cup of tea, but I have yet to step into one. Thanks!
Old 24-11-2016, 20:52   #36

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

If you are single why a cat and not a mono? For me a new Bene 38' would work great. It is a mono built with lots of room in the open cockpit.

But any 40' cat would work. There is no perfect boat. They all have quirks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 13:35   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net View Post
All lines to the helm and self tacking jib should be priority. But that would leave out the 400 S2 and others...

Happy Thanks Giving.
If you've got a decent autohelm, lack of a self tacking jib shouldn't be an issue. And there are several disadvantages to having one.
I'll take a manual tacking, furling genoa everytime over a sel tacking jib.

Here's what I do when singlehanded:

Engage the autohelm if it's not already doing the steering.

Load up the lazy jib sheet winch and make sure the working jib sheet will be free to run once it is released.

Centre the main sheet and harden it on.

Tell the autohelm to tack (press 2 buttons simultaneously).

As you come through the wind, free the working jib sheet, leaving a wrap on the winch for control, move to the new working jib sheet and bring it in.

Disengage autohelm and fine tune the new heading.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 17:43   #38
Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you are single why a cat and not a mono? For me a new Bene 38' would work great. It is a mono built with lots of room in the open cockpit.

But any 40' cat would work. There is no perfect boat. They all have quirks.
I thought about it, but I'm not sure if the rolling will be an issue. I've read somewhere that sea sickness is more common on mono-hulls. The Beneteau are great. I've looked at them too.
Old 25-11-2016, 17:48   #39
Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If you've got a decent autohelm, lack of a self tacking jib shouldn't be an issue. And there are several disadvantages to having one.
I'll take a manual tacking, furling genoa everytime over a sel tacking jib.

Here's what I do when singlehanded:

Engage the autohelm if it's not already doing the steering.

Load up the lazy jib sheet winch and make sure the working jib sheet will be free to run once it is released.

Centre the main sheet and harden it on.

Tell the autohelm to tack (press 2 buttons simultaneously).

As you come through the wind, free the working jib sheet, leaving a wrap on the winch for control, move to the new working jib sheet and bring it in.

Disengage autohelm and fine tune the new heading.
You make it sound easy... I guess it's more rewarding too. What are the disadvantages vs advantages of a self-tacking jib? Because that's when you choose, for example, between a Lagoon 39 and a Lagoon 400 S2...
Old 25-11-2016, 19:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net View Post
You make it sound easy... I guess it's more rewarding too. What are the disadvantages vs advantages of a self-tacking jib? Because that's when you choose, for example, between a Lagoon 39 and a Lagoon 400 S2...
Self tacking jib has to be smaller than the fore-triangle so not so good in lighter winds especially to windward where the lack of overlap makes the sails much less efficient.

Sometimes it is useful to be able to back the headsail (heaving too, tacking a cat in heavier seas), and this is really tricky with a self-tacker

It's difficult to get good headsail trim with a self-tacker, especially when you want to ease it out when off the wind.

If it is a "boomed" self tacker, they can be an real PITA to anyone forward of the mast.

Bottom line is that you are trading off ease of tacking against lesser performance at all other times. How much of the time do you spend tacking?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 21:16   #41

Boat: PDQ 36

Do you get seasick easily? Buy what you want, not what you think your guests will enjoy. The reality is that you will be sailing by yourself most of the time.

I'm in the process of looking for a catamaran too, also will be single handing it. I, also, was knocking back and forth amongst the different ones, until I stepped on them. I knew right away which ones weren't for me. I also saw the problems with boats built for charter. They are carved up into tiny spaces in order to give each person or couple their own suite. It makes them claustrophobic, with a lot of wasted of space for a live aboard. Also the galleys were really lacking, they seem to made for something other than cooking. I imagine that people on a sailing vacation eat and use the galley differently than someone that lives aboard.

Get on board some, you'll soon find out which boat is right for you.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 21:52   #42

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Bottom line is that you are trading off ease of tacking against lesser performance at all other times. How much of the time do you spend tacking?

i owned 2 boats, one self tacking jib and one not. I agree with above.

If you sail rivers, or other narrow paces, then self tacking makes sense. On the ocean, where tacking only once per hour or less, i see no benefit. One still needs to adjust car and has to go in front of the boat.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 11:04   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Whatever boat you buy make sure it has OPENING PORTLIGHTS! For some reason Bene, Jenneau and others have gone to these modern Euro artsy non-opening ports. Add to that no overhead hatches and they are steam bowls.

Better with an older boat that you can vent than a hot box
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 12:38   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Lots of great suggestions for Net. I had somehow missed the solo liveaboard/sailing aspect of his intentions. Given that, I'd definitely go smaller. A Lagoon 380, 3-cabin gives you lots of space, sails pretty good, and has known resale value -- there are reasons why they sold so many of them. I'd also consider a PDQ 36; almost as much space, well built, great sailing boat and easy to handle. Relatively inexpensive, too. If you can find a Seawind 1000XL, that's another excellent sailing boat that would be "big enough", but lots of fun. If you have more money, a Seawind 1160 would be another excellent choice.

I've also noticed the non-opening portlights in recent boats, as well as the escape hatches in the hulls that you have to break with a hammer. That's the manufacturer saving a few bucks at the expense of the owner's comfort and convenience. When at anchor, opening the escape hatch gives wonderful ventilation of cooled air right off the water.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 00:32   #45

This is an excellent and informative thread. Just curious Net, did you decide on a boat yet?.. if not, have you at least narrowed it down a bit?
Cheers.
Vander Woestijn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard