Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-12-2015, 08:32   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Berth Positions - Access

Daves option sounds like a good plan. Hopefully they are at least queen size so you can do that. You may also be able to extend the berth a bit more inboard and rotate the mattress and add some shelving/storage alongside where the mattress doesn't reach the wall anymore. You may lose a little standing space in the cabin. Any things possible though. Our berths are accessible one side and one end and I works fine for either of us. The side is slightly easier to swing and put your feet down rather than sitting and sliding to the end.
We have around 5' of headroom between the berth and the ceiling. The berths I don't particularly like the look of are the inboard ones with only one side accessible and very little clearance to the ceiling, sometimes only 2-3'. They look claustrophobic and hot to me, especially for the inboard person. Also often they are very high off the cabin sole with inadequate steps to reach, like cutouts in plywood (ouch). Often they're seen in cats where the comfort is less important than the performance, so it's a trade off as always. Narrow hulls might be too narrow to allow a low wide berth, high bridgedeck clearance and low windage might mean minimal headroom from mattress to ceiling, and maybe a thinner mattress Also important is adequate ventilation. A deck hatch over the berth allows for good ventilation usually, as well as a fan for windless nights. If positioned well it's also good for watching the stars. Opening forewards is good for the breeze, but will also wake you whenever it rains and will result in a wetter berth when you forget to close the hatch while ashore or underway ..

Old 25-12-2015, 09:06   #17

Boat: Gemini, 1993 #379 34' Shearwater

My previouis Voyage 430 had side access - it was uncomfortable and inconvenient since I get up during the night to check the anchor and other things.

As to the snoring - get a CPAP, the snoring may be a sign of sleep apnea, if so the CPAP "may" fix it - and at the same time lower your blood pressure, extend your life, and improve your relationships. Best $200 I ever invented in a good night's sleep. Your gp can prescribe it and CPAP.com will help you get one that runs on 115 or 12 volts. Quiet, fairly easy to get used to, and it fixes your snoring.

captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 14:41   #18

I second Monte. A berth too high with poor ventilation is a deal breaker. Add lack of steps and you get a very bad combo. Not mentioning specific models in order to avoid a "cat" fight.

But seriously. If evaluating boats for tropical cruising ventilation should be a much more important factor than what people typical argue on this forum.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-12-2015, 15:45   #19

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

There's been a very educational thread on SN about CPAP and energy requirements .Could save your life if you know as much about it as I did before I flatlined. Then you have to worry about getting your hoses entangled
Old 25-12-2015, 20:28   #20

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Here is the layout we are talking about.

Thanks for all the input

~ Following Cs ~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10408015_10200109122646550_7994215571142370969_n (1).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	115637  
Old 25-12-2015, 20:41   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Oh it's a privilege 51? Heh, I like the tanning net notation. It does look like altering the orientation would be possible for all berths so I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker. Ive had a quick look on one but don't recall the berth space, although I seem to remember that they had decent curved steps rather than simple cutouts in the ply for access.
Drop Tim and Stephy a message. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing their experience and thoughts on the berths. http://catamaranendlesspleasure.com
Old 25-12-2015, 20:46   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Wife sleeps on the inside. She never gets up in the night, I do. Personally, I prefer side access; easier to get in and easier to make the bed.

Another thing to consider is fore/aft vs athwart ships. I prefer cross-wise underway, particularity in a beam sea.

All romance aside, in hot weather we spread out to separate cabins. It's cooler.

As for CPAP, my wife uses one. Just get an extension hose if she sleeps on the inside. No problem.

--

But all minor issues. Pick the boat you like.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 05:41   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
All of the berths are oriented in such a way that one partner will be pinned against a wall, and not able to get out unless climbing over the other.
I see this as a good thing. Who wouldn't want their partner to climb over them? Sounds like a feature!

Perhaps you would prefer something more like a hospital bed?
Old 27-12-2015, 22:07   #24

We have side entry and as long as you aren't claustrophobic, it's really not an issue.

If you made it thru 4 nights, I presume, that's not an issue for you.
Old 28-12-2015, 11:00   #25

Yep, we made it thru 4 nights. I did seem to sleep a bit better the week before when she wasn't aboard yet, but not a real issue. We slept better than on land regardless.

~ Following Cs ~
Old 28-12-2015, 11:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Oh it's a privilege 51? Heh, I like the tanning net notation. It does look like altering the orientation would be possible for all berths so I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker. Ive had a quick look on one but don't recall the berth space, although I seem to remember that they had decent curved steps rather than simple cutouts in the ply for access.
Drop Tim and Stephy a message. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing their experience and thoughts on the berths.
I've tried to contact them a few ways. I have many more Privilege questions, so I'm hoping Tim will be a good sport and indulge a few. I'm sure they will get back to me on Facebook or whatever whenever they get a chance.

~ Following Cs ~

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: