Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Beautiful Catamaran
is an oxmoron 10 25.00%
is not an oxymoron 29 72.50%
what's an oxymoron? 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 06:18   #31

Boat: PDQ32
Snort - love my PDQ - fun to sail - easy to single hand- quite fast - very comfortable to spend time on. I wish someone would expand the design another 10 feet so I could have much the same boat in the Carribean.
Old 26-03-2009, 10:36   #32

Boat: Islander 34
I used to think that catamarans were the most beautiful boats on the water - serene but aggressive, like a predatory animal at rest.

...but then I fell head-over-heels for a trimaran.
farotherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 11:08   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Nick I agree. A sail boat should be designed to sail.
This here I think goes straight to the point of just why one is on the water. If it is for the enjoyment factor of sailing, then I agree with your sentiments. But if one is on the water primarily to explore the world in a reasonably fun and economic fashion - and would like to be comfortable while doing so - then I think that person would make a different choice in vessel as his primary objectives are different.

When I was a teenager in high school, I use to ride a skateboard to school. I had no interest in doing tricks and the like - so the small sporty skateboards were of no use to me. For my intended purpose, a nice long easy ridding skateboard was best. If I had to use the short little sport model boards that the guys who liked to do tricks used - then I likely would have just given up skateboarding all together (as those guys on the little boards suggested I should) Interestingly, those skateboard purists thought my big long board was ugly as well. They said it didn't look like a skateboard should, and would be useless in the skate parks. It sure was good fun watching those kids try to keep up with me on the skate to school on my big ugly improper under-performing board though.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 12:29   #34

I have owned several cats and two tris. I agree completely, the lagoons and particularly the new small ones are not pretty it is a box with a sail on top. That being said your 410 has a better interior than my 48 foot cat. However, I love to sail and I rarely sail below wind speed. The real question is why are more people not honest about the sailing capabilities of these small cats lagoons in particular. There are very few monos of equal length that will not walk away from a lagoon 410 on almost every point of sail.
donphall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 17:55   #35

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I used to have a PDQ too and always kept my eyes out for something that sort of resembled it. The Schionning cosmos 43, the Fusion 40, and the Perry 43 all have that sort of clean finish, cabin overhang, galley down thing that PDQ has, but I've never really seen a bigger catamaran that had the simplicity and easily replaceable outboards of the PDQ except maybe the Kelsall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
Snort - love my PDQ - fun to sail - easy to single hand- quite fast - very comfortable to spend time on. I wish someone would expand the design another 10 feet so I could have much the same boat in the Carribean.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 18:00   #36

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I used to have a PDQ too and always kept my eyes out for something that sort of resembled it. The Schionning cosmos 43, the Fusion 40, and the Perry 43 all have that sort of clean finish, cabin overhang, galley down thing that PDQ has, but I've never really seen a bigger catamaran that had the simplicity and easily replaceable outboards of the PDQ except maybe the Kelsall.
Plenty of the 45 ft down Schionnings have the outboard option, in fact I think all do .

Same for Oram and some others.

Might even find its not so much an outboard option, but a diesel option.

Dave
Old 26-03-2009, 18:02   #37

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Next is that purple thing...
;-))
cheers,
Nick.
Different tastes, I drive a 30 year old Valiant and have a red headed chick as well.

Dave
Old 26-03-2009, 20:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Didn't the pdq start out as pretty blatant Simpson 10.2 clone, before all its transom extensions?.
Old 27-03-2009, 05:23   #39

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Beuty is in the eye of the beholder.
I reckon the visionarrys, Blind Date and Rare Bird are beautiful boats,
regards
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 18:37   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Didn't the pdq start out as pretty blatant Simpson 10.2 clone, before all its transom extensions?.
Which simpson Catty - Andrew or Roger
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Which simpson Catty - Andrew or Roger
Roger.

This is testing my memory Factor, but when Slater introduced the pdq in the late 80's it had no transom extensions and was around 34 feet. The Simpson 10.2 was designed in 85 and also originally had no transom extensions. There was a lot of murmurings in the Oz multi-hull community at the time of the pdq's release. Obviously subtle changes to the Simpson's cabin profile etc could only be an improvement.

Did Slater come from a catamaran design background? What other designs did he produce prior to the pdq. Was his first attempt the pdq? Maybe someone can shed some light on this.
Old 29-03-2009, 17:36   #42

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Um....errrrr

Obviouslythe thread originator has never seen a new Leopard 46.
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 17:57   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think this song says it all

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:14   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Sheer Lines and Indigo

I'll just quote an excerpt from a letter I wrote to Soundings a number of years ago concerning an article about the designs of Ray Hunt:

"with reference to your article about Ray Hunt in the June issue of Soundings, I wanted to write and let you know how much I truly enjoyed the article.

You captured not only the factual history, but more importantly, some of the essence of being involved with yachts and yacht design itself….. “the measure of total understanding of the nature of a boat.”

And most importantly, you included the oft forgotten element, the sheer line. What a terribly important factor! Romantically stated, but oh so true, “it is simply her sheer … sheer beauty that is. She enters the harbor like a beautiful woman entering a room. Her sheer is the line we try to get right when we doodle boats.” So many of today’s boats lack this beauty, and correspondingly, some of the essence of yesteryear’s yachting.

Your article brought some of that feeling back to me…some of that feeling that first inspired me to want to learn of sailing yachts and their design ….that had me (virtually a non-sailor at the time) putting together a scrapbook of designs, both good and poor, for future reference.

Now it so happens that I got quite heavily involved with multihull craft because here is where free thought and innovation abounded, and here it is even tougher to create a pretty sheer line. Probably a couple of the best examples I might reference would be Peter Wormwood’s 60 ‘Indigo’ design and a few of Peter Spronk’s cats. With Spronk’s designs, you would have to invoke your French observation, “you must suffer to be beautiful.”

...more photos here:
RunningTideYachts, Ltd. Photo Album of Design References Page 2
RunningTideYachts, Ltd. Photo Album of Design References Page 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IndigoAlbum-b.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	9513  
Old 22-08-2009, 23:28   #45

In The Eye of the Beholder

Every time I see these of Lagoon windows it puts me off cats ---