Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-12-2008, 17:51   #31

FWIW...I will ditto the notion that there is no memory effect in lead acid or AGM batteries. Someone probably got confused between loss of capacity due to sulfation and loss of capacity due to memory issues with nicads.

Also..the plate thickness issue is no longer valid with the advent of thin plate designs like the Odyssey pure lead plates. Weight however is still a good measure...but not for long as foamed plates are in development that will produce lighter, better batteries. (Firefly)

The only thing I would add to the "what type" of battery discussion is that from an economic point of view, good AGM's really only pay off vs. good flooded if you are in a live aboard, daily cycling mode as the quicker charging and less engine run time, maintenance and fuel begin to make them pay off more quickly. I am a big fan of AGM's personally but would sitck with flooded if just doing casual cruising or spending most of my cruising time at marinas or living aboard at a dock.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 21:00   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The only thing I would add to the "what type" of battery discussion is that from an economic point of view, good AGM's really only pay off vs. good flooded if you are in a live aboard, daily cycling mode as the quicker charging and less engine run time, maintenance and fuel begin to make them pay off more quickly.
Yes, the lower internal Resistance allows faster charging and thus less fuel consumed to recharge fully. The savings in fuel not burned can make up the difference in up front cost. The real issue today is we have volatile fuel prices and it's hard to do the math or predict fuel costs. Batteries are increasing with the global price of lead but the currently falling price of fuel counters to some extent.

There is a special situation here in that lower up front costs have an undeserved bias toward being considered cheaper.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: