Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 20:38   #16

Re: Bali 4.8 vs Leopard 50

I love the living space of the smaller Bali's. I've never been aboard the 4.8 but the island beds look awesome. The Bali drop down salon windows are a cool feature but the Leopard trumps that with a pass through door. However, I think the Leopard 50 was my favorite cat at the boat show">Miami boat show overall. My target boat is a 2 handed live aboard so one of my requirements is the aft bulkhead helm to maintain communication and protection from the elements. The Bali with the garage door feature is pretty much limited to a flybridge helm if I'm not mistaken.

Additionally, I've heard several people complain about the build quality of the Bali's. Conversely, I think the Bali's use more expensive foam cored hulls and I think the Leopards use balsa. Many on this forum complain about the seaworthiness of the Bali due to the lack of a trampoline but if you are only doing coastal or island hopping I don't think it's an issue because the bridge deck clearance is so high.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 15:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Wish I had some experience with the Bali. I have heard they will sail faster,
Not while the laws of physics hold !!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 10:41   #18

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I was in Cape Town in January with Happy Together Randy and Lennie taking a look at their new performance Leopard 50. Have a look at their last few videos sailing this new boat in Cape Town. It’s a big boat for sure and they test sailed it in rough conditions. I’m a Leopard 40 owner and sailer.

I know nothing about about the Bali
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:56   #19

Boat: Leopard, 44

Can't really contrast with Bali, but owned a Leopard 44 and 48 and recently moved to the 50 in the Moorings config. The new boat sails significantly better than either of the others. Points better with a slightly deeper keel even with increased height of the cabins. They reshaped the hulls a bit which may account for this, but I was amazed at the difference. We lost our 48 in Irma, but was happy to move up as the water maker, extra fridge, owners cabin were big draws for us. I can still single hand the boat when the wife wants to chill with the help of the electric winches and autopilot. We have only be in the carribbean, but have island hopped through open ocean and got much less pitching and rolling than with the other boats even in the Christmas winds/waves. I haven't been on the 45, but I would happily recommend the 50.
saildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:01   #20

Boat: Leopard 50L

Thanks for the information!! We are very close to closing the deal on the 50. Just checking out finance options, locations etc.
Dan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 16:49   #21

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I believe that at one point South African boats were duty free, but that this changed. I do know that when I first brought my Leopard 45 into the US, in 2004, both the US Customs and the broker told me me it was duty free, and it had never been to the US before.
I talked to a FL customs agent just a few weeks ago, about importing a custom SA boat, and he said very clearly that it's duty free and that they file a few of these a week with customs. This duty free allowance is under an economic development program that does expire, and the current one (unless renewed) will expire in 2020 or something.
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 17:24   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

My Saona 47 has a duty of 1.5%. Certainly not a deal killer. The L50 is a lot bigger than the L48. I decided to get a cat after sailing 750 miles in my Beneteau Sense 50 against Happy Together and was impressed (with their downwind speed). Get the one you like best and like the better looking one best.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:31   #23

Boat: Looking now!

Not sure if you mean the forward door to the forward cockpit, but if you do, the current Bali 5.4, soon to premiere Bali 4.8, and next year's Bali 4.6 all have the same thing. Forward door to forward cockpit. They just don't have a covered forward cockpit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
I love the living space of the smaller Bali's. I've never been aboard the 4.8 but the island beds look awesome. The Bali drop down salon windows are a cool feature but the Leopard trumps that with a pass through door. However, I think the Leopard 50 was my favorite cat at the Miami boat show overall. My target boat is a 2 handed live aboard so one of my requirements is the aft bulkhead helm to maintain communication and protection from the elements. The Bali with the garage door feature is pretty much limited to a flybridge helm if I'm not mistaken.

Additionally, I've heard several people complain about the build quality of the Bali's. Conversely, I think the Bali's use more expensive foam cored hulls and I think the Leopards use balsa. Many on this forum complain about the seaworthiness of the Bali due to the lack of a trampoline but if you are only doing coastal or island hopping I don't think it's an issue because the bridge deck clearance is so high.
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 21:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2011 View Post
Hello everyone!
I’m looking at a purchasing a cat and was looking for feedback on the Bali 4.8 by Chantier Catana vs the Robertson & Cain Leopard 50. Eventually will be used for live-aboard and extended cruising but will probably be in charter fleet for about 5 years first.
Thanks for the input!!!
Dan
Which one did you end up getting? The L50 or L45 …
mo chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 22:15   #25

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Check the tankage of the Leopard 45 and 50. You will see that there is no difference in water, fuel and waste tankage between the 45 and 50. Also, the 45 has a forward facing galley, which my wife really likes. I am an extensive charterer of the L50, and am looking to purchase an L45. No real life experience on a Bali.
The L50 also has a forward facing galley
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:28   #26

We went with the L50. We love the boat! The biggest negative is that it is hard if not impossible to see the port side when tying up to a dock etc. Make sure you put some camera's to monitor the port side both forward and aft on the Port side.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:11   #27

Just a note, we got the 50 since we plan on some long haul sailing with our triplets and friends when we finally take the boat out of the moorings fleet. Hence the need for 5 cabins. If it was just us the two of us we would probably go with the 45. The 50 is a big boat!
Eventually we are thinking of sailing for a few years in the South Pacific, head to New Zealand or Australia. Sell the 50 and pick up something smaller in the Caribbean and sail their for awhile.
Just a plan always subject to change!! If we love the South Pacific who knows, may never leave! ;-)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:03   #28

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2011 View Post
Just a note, we got the 50 since we plan on some long haul sailing with our triplets and friends when we finally take the boat out of the moorings fleet. Hence the need for 5 cabins. If it was just us the two of us we would probably go with the 45. The 50 is a big boat!
Eventually we are thinking of sailing for a few years in the South Pacific, head to New Zealand or Australia. Sell the 50 and pick up something smaller in the Caribbean and sail their for awhile.
Just a plan always subject to change!! If we love the South Pacific who knows, may never leave! ;-)
Awesome choice! So jealous! My dream boat but out of our budget!

The issue about not been able to see the port side when docking is universal to the 40/44/45/48 or any other cat with a single helm position on one side or the other. It a trade off/compromise. With all boats there are compromises, you just pick the one that best fits your requirements. You will get used to it!

ENJOY!!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard