Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 01:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Bali 4.1, 4,3 and 5.4

The dealer of Bali has presented yesterday three Bali's in Marmaris and I had a chance to visit all of them and chat with him. Here are my notes for those who are interested with these cats:

-I am pleasantly surprised to see that Bali has inhereted some positive aspects of Catana; well built, relatively lighter than FP or Lagoons, cleats, turnblocks, jammers, etc are of good quality and not undersized as thye are in some production cats.
-the furnitures are part of the structure like they are on Catana and Outremer. This is not the case for many others where the furnitures are just pushed in the finished boat. As a matter of fact the boat seemed to be very rigid which I believe is very important for any cat.
-I couldn't check carefully but the hulls are pretty slim and the bridge deck clearance is fair.
-Overall the finish is pretty good and the galley and the cabins are larger that I would have thought (still not like Lagoons..).
-5.4 is huge..She reminded me Sunreef 60 loft with huge fly bridge. With a basic equipment, the price tag is around a 1-1,1 million euro. The rigging is very conservative; 90 sqm of main and a self tacking gib for such a big boat.. The dealer said the light displacement is 21 tons which is significantly lighter than other comparable cats, if this number is correct.
-she has full island beds in all of the 4 cabins + 2 forepeak cabins that can be used either for the crew or putting in yr staff. There is enough storage volume but not too much for this size of boat.
-4.3 is not much different than 4.1 and to me is not the worth the extra 100 € price over 4.1. She has a kind of flybridge like the ones on Helia, gas levers and the helm is not hydrolic but with wires.
-4.1 isa good value for money, the front cabins are quite larger than Lipari 41 and aft cabins is about the same. The "famous" huge stand up fridge is also there but slightly shorter than those of 5.4 and 4.3.

Overall; we didn't have a chance to sail with any of them. As you know, Bali's do not a have a trampoline in front and I find this very dangereous IMHO. The dealer said that the net on other cats is there to ensure the balance of the boat, thus avoid hobby horsing. According to him, the balance is ensured by other means on Bali's hence no need for the net. Having surfed on a cat on 6-7 meters waves at 23 kts on North Atlantic, dived at the buttom of them discharging tons of water from the net, I don't buy this idea..But anyway..
Pricewise, they are slightly more expensive than Lagoons and Nauthitec's and parity to FP's.
The 4.1 's are manufactured in Tunisia , the rest in Catana's yard in the south of France in the Med. They are launching next year a 4.8 to fill the gap between 4.3 and 5.4. They said last year Bali has sold 156 cats (which seemed to me a lot..) mostly to charter companies.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote