Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2018, 06:30   #1

Question Bali 4.0 vs Lucia 40

Hi All,

The Admiral and I went to the boat show">Miami Boat show this past week to settle out which Catamaran we liked the best and would proceed forward with. Up until this point, we had been settled on the FP Lucia 40, but we went into the Bali section and checked out the 4.0. Now we're more uncertain about which boat to proceed forward with than ever -- back to square one

Would love to hear from owners of either boat, what you feel are pluses and minus to each one. The biggest minus on the 4.0 to me is the flybridge helm -- particularly during bad weather and overnight passages. Being so disconnected from the rest of the boat seems like a bad idea to me. We do love how open the rest of the 4.0 is, including the forward seating area. Very socially minded.
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:17   #2

Re: Bali 4.0 vs Lucia 40

This fear of disconnection is unfounded. What exactly do you think is going to happen steering from the fly vs 3 ft lower? I would have thought the fly was a big positive for cruising when you spend 90% at anchor. My bigger concern would be lack of nets on the Bali. A Bali salesman once told me nets on other boats were only there to save money.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bali 4.0 vs Lucia 40

Have sailed the Bali 4.5 which is basically the same without the flybridge..
You will find that going to windward in anything 1metre and over you'll be slamming the front a lot..
I to do not like the flybridge cats.. fine for island hopping but did not like having to deal with a sail in F7+ standing up there with a twanging head height boom and nothing to keep you on board if it hits you.
But.. I'm not the buyer.. just my feelings.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 17:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
My bigger concern would be lack of nets on the Bali. A Bali salesman once told me nets on other boats were only there to save money.
He is an idiot
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 04:31   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Again, as with most smart boat purchases (not something we always do!) this decision will come down to usage. If you are staying in Tampa Bay, Chesapeake Bay, or some other protected area, you’ll be fine. I personally would not use the Bali offshore or even near shore coastal if I had the choice to buy the Lucia. imho
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 08:39   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I delivered a new Bali 4.0 >1,000 nm of the North Atlantic.
It is not designed as a bluewater boat.

All boats have design goals for their intended usage. the Bali line is intended for short-distance day sails in benign pleasant weather avoiding rain.
Works very well for that, a real party boat. Great price-point.

there are other threads on CF discussing the Bali 4 and 4.5

I also delivered a FP Lucia and some other FPs. while still a French lightweight, the FP line is many steps above the Bali line in build quality. also more expensive.

the BEST boat all depends on your usage goals
Old 19-02-2018, 09:06   #7

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

We were at the show as well and my wife fell in love with the Bali too. I explained to her that the Trampolines were a safety issue.... and the exposed helm.... durability of interior materials.... “blah blah blah” was all she heard. The galley size, and openness of that boat combined with the front lounging area captivated her. She is in love with that boat but I would never feel safe buying that boat once you actually had to sail it.

Leaving Miami to the Bahamas or Bahamas to DR are passages I would not feel comfortable with on this boat.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 10:11   #8
WWV

I've walked both multiple times. Next time you can, walk both and look at build quality and have them put the garage door up and down on the Bali. When I was in it with door down, you can see large gaps between door and roof line. I also saw multiple rusting components on the one in San Diego when I walked it.

FYI - I was also at Miami show and purposely walked all the 40's multiple times. As far as layout was concerned, the Lucia won hands down for MY intended use and plans. And I went into show thinking Leopard was leader.

Good luck and when you finally decide, just do it and don't look back....point is to be on water and enjoy life, not worry about other people's boats.
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:14   #9

Lagoon.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:17   #10
WWV

Lagoon 42 yes, new 40, I'd pass. The main salon was very small and cramped. Wouldn't work for me.
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 20:54   #11

Boat: Beneteau 343

Funny how I assessed the same boats at the show as well. The Bali seemed so nice but not as practical for handling tough stuff single handed. And the lower helm of the FP gives me more confidence when docking solo than the Bali. But the Bali sure was luxurious for sure. I liked the Seawinds best.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 22:37   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
Funny how I assessed the same boats at the show as well. The Bali seemed so nice but not as practical for handling tough stuff single handed. And the lower helm of the FP gives me more confidence when docking solo than the Bali. But the Bali sure was luxurious for sure. I liked the Seawinds best.

You mention an often overlooked and very important part of single-handing, i.e. docking without assistance. Sales literature is usually centered on such things as "all lines led to helm" and such, which actually is usually unnecessary, but fails to mention the things that can truly be a challenge in single-handing a boat, such as docking, mooring, and raising and dropping the anchor. Check those things out carefully!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 21:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
He is an idiot
I noticed that the Broad Blue line of boats also lack a trampoline (solid decking). Can you expand on trampolines, their purpose, and how necessary they are
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 22:12   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

The Bali is a brilliant design for their intended market, charter fleets. The Lucia is an entry level production cat designed for actual cruising. Both great boats for their intended purpose.

I agree with Factor.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 22:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
The Bali is a brilliant design for their intended market, charter fleets. The Lucia is an entry level production cat designed for actual cruising. Both great boats for their intended purpose.

I agree with Factor.
Can you expand on the use, need and purpose of the trampoline, and how critical (or not) they are. My understanding is that they exist to help prevent a "submarine-type" incident.

I've read that the Broad Blue is well-regarded as a blue-water cruiser, but they have a solid deck w/no trampoline.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote