Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2017, 17:46   #16

Re: Balance 526 SV Ondine

...and, if Ondine is already snatched up, there's always:

Catamaran 2015 ALIBI 54 Catamaran For Sale

What would you all have to say about their relative merits? "Enquiring minds want to know"...
Nowhere-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 20:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
History of this forum refusing to acknowledge the world outside it.
LOL )))

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Apparently the problem with Hugh Howey (a rumor heard second or third hand for what it's worth) is there was a a substantial change in currency values that favored St Francis Marine and there was no consideration for a price adjustment. Take that for what you paid for it. I know if I were in the situation I would be protecting myself with a currency broker to prevent fluctuations from raising the cost.
I've heard that too, but still, it's just a rumor.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 01:49   #18

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Ok call me stupid but how would they fall out over currency changes?
If he was buying in Rand and the currency moves, why would he expect the seller to reduce the bill? The seller still has most of his bills to pay in Rand so his costs don't change.
The only complication as I see it would be if they agreed to deal in a 3rd currency (not Rand or USD) but then that's the risk both take and then you'd use a broker?
I'm not sure that is true.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 03:13   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

For what the boat is and the material used + inventory the boat is definately worth the price.
I just want to stress that the length of many catmarans are foolishly misleading; with a few exceptions many manufacturers extending the sugarscoop adding nothing to the real volume of the boat. Sure, this is giving some extra buoyancy and a bit more water length but these shouldn't be considered as real 56, 58 ft or whatever.
Examples: Outremer 51 is in reality the 49 with extended sugarscoop, the last meter of my Catana 47 in engine room is a wasted area. Watch now the Balance with this in mind, you are not buying a 52,5 ft but barely 50 ft cat...
The new designs of Lagoon and FP have made big progress in this respect and there are very little space that are not useable.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 04:51   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
For what the boat is and the material used + inventory the boat is definately worth the price.
I just want to stress that the length of many catmarans are foolishly misleading; with a few exceptions many manufacturers extending the sugarscoop adding nothing to the real volume of the boat. Sure, this is giving some extra buoyancy and a bit more water length but these shouldn't be considered as real 56, 58 ft or whatever.
Examples: Outremer 51 is in reality the 49 with extended sugarscoop, the last meter of my Catana 47 in engine room is a wasted area. Watch now the Balance with this in mind, you are not buying a 52,5 ft but barely 50 ft cat...
The new designs of Lagoon and FP have made big progress in this respect and there are very little space that are not useable.

Cheers

Yeloya

I think you hit the nail on the head if you look at the examples you gave. The three examples of the cats you gave with the extended sterns and no extra accommodation are designed with performance in mind. The two examples you gave that have very little unusable space are designed more on the livability side, giving away some performance to achieve this. Neither is wrong, just boats built for different purposes or tastes.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 07:23   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The three examples of the cats you gave with the extended sterns and no extra accommodation are designed with performance in mind.

Would you consider this a performance cat ?

Cheers

Yeloya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170721_162338_resized.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	152367  
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 07:34   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Balance 526 SV Ondine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Would you consider this a performance cat ?

Cheers

Yeloya

No. But, additional length on the stern of a cat kept light without cramming interior space into it is beneficial to any catamaran. Keeping the ends light reduces pitching and will in all, benefit both motion and performance.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote