Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2019, 03:37   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: B&G autopilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Already tried that multiple times, still cannot get Sail option to light up.
Then see if there is another way to get to the autopilot configuration. On my Triton displays I get an assistant to setup the AP when I select the AP page, but I can also go to the menu, select AP or configuration there and get different setup pages. I once had trouble proceeding because it wanted me to select drive voltage first. It’s a bit confusing.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 05:35   #32

Boat: Island Packet 420

My triton display is not displaying a sail option either when I do the configuration from there.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 05:39   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
My triton display is not displaying a sail option either when I do the configuration from there.
Running out of ideas you have apparent wind data on your network? Power cycle the AP computer? .... call Navico support rt
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 05:43   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Already tried that multiple times, still cannot get Sail option to light up.
The first thing to check is if you have virtual rudder feedback selected.
You cannot select the sail option if this is chosen.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:40   #35

Boat: Island Packet 420

I finally did call Band G. It turns out the problem was which rudder sensor was selected. I did not know I had to manually select the proper one, the wrong sensor had been checked in the boxes. Nowhere in the instructions did it talk about this! At any rate, the technician at B and G helped me along and we got it sorted out, everything is working appropriately now.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 11:09   #36

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I finally did call Band G. It turns out the problem was which rudder sensor was selected. I did not know I had to manually select the proper one, the wrong sensor had been checked in the boxes. Nowhere in the instructions did it talk about this! At any rate, the technician at B and G helped me along and we got it sorted out, everything is working appropriately now.
This is actually good to hear. There are no shortage of threads dissing (post-Navico) B&G, and much of it seems to be based on frustration with manuals and access to tech support, and not necessarily the products themselves. In fact, I recently got a harangue along these lines from a long-time pro installer, but then he's a dealer for Ray & Garmin. In any event, if B&G has improved its access to tech support for end users, I'd be more inclined to consider it when it comes time to replace my aging (pre-Navico) B&G kit which I've been quite happy with.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 11:23   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
I finally did call Band G. It turns out the problem was which rudder sensor was selected.
That makes sense. No rudder sensor means the only option is a virtual rudder sensor and that means no sail option can be selected.

Glad it is sorted.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 11:47   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

I have used what I believe was their Triton series on a Lagoon 450.

It did not seem anything different from same age Ray or Furuno I have used before or after.

The low point was when a wind instrument failure brought the whole thing down. Huge disappointment, mostly in how Simrad managed the whole situation. We were refused to repair on our own (warranty matters) and our trip got delayed beyond repair (some crew had to fly home from a place with no airport).

Overall, their system back in 2017 was as good as any. Their service in the Caribbean is ...

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 11:50   #39

Boat: Valiant 40

For the record I've had very good experiences calling B&G tech support. They are polite, knowledgeable, and seem to really care about helping you out, even with gear that is no longer under warranty.
Old 14-08-2019, 09:43   #40

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Can anyone here comment on "gust response" and "recovery", on the H5000, to me. My imagination explains it quite well, but I'd like to know whether or not they actually work, in real life.

I'm primarily concerned with multihulls for this post. The Zeus3 also has gust response, but it reacts to heel, not sudden gusts as shown on the anemometer. Or, at least, that's what I've just read.

Thanks.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:16   #41

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

I installed a new N2K system last year including a Zeus 2 9" MFD, B&G 508 wind sensor, Vesper AIS, 4K radar, and a NAC 2 Autopilot Core Pack including the NAC 2 computer, rudder sensor and precision 9 compass. The NAC 2 is the same as the NAC 3 but for low current motors.

I have been very pleased with the system. Everything works together perfectly and the AP is fantastic (of course all I can compare it to is my old ST4000). I will note that it will sail to true or apparent wind. In "Auto" it will switch back and forth depending on the angle: apparent wind when the angle is <70 deg, true when the angle is >70. It also has two steering modes depending on your selected transition speed.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:41   #42

Thanks for that report.

I was ordering my H5000 autopilot yesterday, from Chicago Marine Electronics, and, even though he'd be losing money, he said I'd do just as well using the NAC-3 as I would the H5000. Though I find that hard to believe, I'm doing my research... again. The primary differences would be relatively minor, for non-racers, even for a pretty light cat.

Though, if the gust response is more "multihull responsive" on the H5000 and the recovery mode works well, I'd still prefer the H5000.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:48   #43

Thank you to all of you who posted your findings on B&G products, I was really wondering if they were worth the money and it seems indeed they are. You folks are amazing!
Gin-N-Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 18:00   #44

I received my H5000 autopilot yesterday. I'm combining it with a Type II Raymarine Linear Drive, as I didn't want the hydraulic drive, offered by B&G. I'm not a fan of Hydraulics on boats, and have mechanical steering installed.

Lots of parts, but it'll all have to wait. We're rushing to finish many little projects, before we get the boat launched this fall.

Cheers all, and thanks for all your help.

Paul.
Old 19-11-2020, 19:27   #45

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Can anyone here comment on "gust response" and "recovery", on the H5000, to me. My imagination explains it quite well, but I'd like to know whether or not they actually work, in real life.

I'm primarily concerned with multihulls for this post. The Zeus3 also has gust response, but it reacts to heel, not sudden gusts as shown on the anemometer. Or, at least, that's what I've just read.

Thanks.
Paul.
Re using the B&G H5000 with Gust Response, I am also wondering about this for multihull use. Are there any users of the H5000 that use the gust response, and if so, how effective is it for a multihull?

My reading of the H5000 manual pp68 is that it is using heel angle to determine that the boat has been hit by a gust. If so, I'm having a hard time imagining how this would work for a cat that has seas from abeam and the boat is changing heel angle continuously, as it rises and falls with the waves.

Is it smart enough to "tune out" the cyclic heel angle changes from sea state and only respond to the relatively small heel angle increase from a significant gust?

It's a great safety feature for shorthanded crew....and I can see how it would work for a mono....but I'm dubious at this point. My local B&G support drew a blank on this question.

Rabbi, did you find out anything in your investigations on this issue?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot