Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 02:19   #16
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Aussies Don't Complain Boats Are Too Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Gosh! Gee! ONLY US$700K plus shipping. Sticking my neck out here, but I can't see Korea's export sales of Fusion 40s eclipsing those of Hyundai automobiles in the foreseeable future.

Even with a free trade agreement with the EU I can't see "la crue productiene" at Lagoon and Fountain Pajot hanging up their work berets just yet.
Well said tuskie. We reckon your neck is pretty safe on that call.

Good luck with YOUR building plans!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 03:05   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Now I'm confused - I could have sworn Fusion cats were made in Australia which kind of turns this thread full circle
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 04:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

I'm going to post some pics from my trip out today at Southport on the Gold Coast of Australia when I get proper internet access back.

There were a LOT of cats there, most impressive. Almost zero of them for sale, mostly cruisers passing through.

Still waiting for Australian sellers to re-align their expectations.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 05:30   #19

Interesting choice of electric propulsion - 24 volt Minn Kota trolling motors. I have never seen anything like that proposed for a boat that size.

Can't find the Minn Kota KW spec, but I am guessing their largest motor is in the 1.5 KW range, around 2 HP. The original Lagoon 420 ES were fitted out with two 9 KW motors. I suspect the new owner will find those trolling motors to be a bit underpowered for any kind of motoring in the open ocean.
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 15:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Now I'm confused - I could have sworn Fusion cats were made in Australia which kind of turns this thread full circle
They used to be.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 15:55   #21
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I could have sworn Fusion cats were made in Australia
To our understanding (as of a year ago anyway, when we were keen cat buyers...and we give no guarantees of accuracy!) Fusion was an Aussie company pomoting kits made in SE Asia, and then constructed wherever. There was one group in West Australia who were promoted as builders of 'custom' cats and basically used Fusion kits. There were also a couple of builders on the Aussie east coast who built from Fusion kits...and one in NZ as well as we recall.
Old 21-08-2011, 21:00   #22

Quote:
Now I'm confused
Very understandably!

"Fusion International" is an Australian owned company marketing a New Zealand designed catamaran moulded in a Multi-nationally (Cobra/CMI)owned factory in Thailand. These are then exported from Thailand and assembled by owner/builders or professional builders anywhere in the world. As stated, once upon a time the kits were moulded in Queensland. The GEL outfit in Korea now proposes to assemble and export finished Fusions to (presumably) anyone wishing to pay for one. I hope for everyones sake that this mob do a better job than the Farong (white fella) operated Thai company called "Yachting Siam" that have assembled Fusions in the past. Some sad stories here.

IMHO, none of the assembled Fusion 40s are what I call "affordable". Builders and some owners argue that they are good value, given the customised fitout and construction quality. The Korean offerring is definitely at the top end of the Fusion 40 price range, but may be good value. Gold plated fittings? Carbon fibre lightweight racing toilets? Permanently installed hostess? Who knows?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 22:17   #23
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The Korean offerring is definitely at the top end of the Fusion 40 price range
You may be sticking your neck out a bit on that call tuskie. Check out the prices suggested for Fusion 40 builds by a certain factory in Western Australia. The last time we looked, the Perth builder (admittedly promoting a very custom build, but still...) would not consider proceeding at much (if anything) under $800K.

...gold-plated fittings, carbon fibre toilets and living furniture indeed!
Old 21-08-2011, 22:51   #24

I met a guy in Brisbane Australia, who bought one of these kits for a Fusion 40 and it ended up costing him AUD $1.2million, not a bad fitout but they used laminate instead of real timber and it just didn't look right. Not for that sort of money.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 23:04   #25

7 or 8 big ones will buy a lot in the Caribbean these days, near new, longer than 40' and with at least some equipment required for cruising. To spend 12 and end up with a boat that 'didn't look right' is as crazy as installing 1-2 HP electric trolling motors on a Lagoon....
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 23:20   #26
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
7 or 8 big ones will buy a lot in the Caribbean these days
...and perhaps even more (or at least as much) in the Med! An OZ buyer is also now hugely comforted by the relative currency values.

Beau, can you recall the name of the $1.2M Fusion 40? Curiousity would probably even push us past our normal privacy preferences to go out on our dinghy for a peek if we saw her on an anchorage somewhere...
Old 22-08-2011, 00:32   #27

I can't remember exactly, they built it for the sanctuary cove boat show but at that price they realised that they had no way of getting their money back.
Not a bad boat they just spent too much money trying to impress??
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 00:53   #28

[QUOTE=D&D;756261]The last time we looked, the Perth builder (admittedly promoting a very custom build, but still...) would not consider proceeding at much (if anything) under $800K.
QUOTE]

Wow! A$800K. And who said catamaran prices in Australia aren't exorbitant?

Mind you, the Korean assembled Fusion 40 at US$700K ex Korea would probably be more expensive to anyone wishing to import to Australia after shipping, insurance, import duty and GST is added.

The WA assembled Fusions, from the pictures I have seen seem to be nicely fitted out and are no doubt a quality product. But they're no Gunboat or Outremer either. And not worth $800K IMHO. Hats (or berets) off to the French, particularly Lagoon and FP who can turn out quality (yes, I believe so) cruising cats of similiar size, in a first world country for less than half the price. They represent good VALUE, a Fusion 40 for $800K does not.

The over $1.2mill Fusion (if correct) "home build" would definitely be possible if costs (especially trades labour, shed hire and component sourcing ) were not managed competently. Just as it is possible for owner builders to spend three times the "going rate" when building a house. Gold plated fittings, etc?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 01:19   #29
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hats (or berets) off to the French, particularly Lagoon and FP who can turn out quality (yes, I believe so) cruising cats of similiar size, in a first world country for less than half the price. They represent good VALUE, a Fusion 40 for $800K does not.
Hear him/her!

...altho we feel some sympathy for the quality OZ catamaran builders like Seawind and Lightwave who must struggle against both the French efficiencies and now the relative currencies as well...
Old 22-08-2011, 01:29   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Hats (or berets) off to the French, particularly Lagoon and FP who can turn out quality (yes, I believe so) cruising cats of similiar size, in a first world country for less than half the price. They represent good VALUE, a Fusion 40 for $800K does not.?
I too think that a Fusion 40 at 1.2 is a bit over the top, indeed at 800K its a bit over the top.

But I am a bit sick of - Australian boats are exorbitant - French boats are cheap, with the implied - Australian builders rip you off sub txt.

As I have indicated before - a couple of years ago a boat at 300K euro ex france was $ 620 K Aus $ (- dearer than equivalent Australian boat eg Lightwave 38 plus any relevant GST duty freight etc), the same boat now at 300K euro is $400K australian (-cheaper than the Lightwave 38). The boats haven't changed its just the french boat is A$220K cheaper thanks to currency movement, not because the Australian manufacturers are gouging anyone or the french are being magnanimous.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote