Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 14:20   #1

AUD/USD

Hey folks,

This message is for you Yanks mainly out there cat shopping....

If you have not already, do check out what is in australia if you are ready to buy now. The AUD dropped to a low of .72 this morning! It was floating in the 9's few months back and if you can believe or understand the forex thing news is projecting a low-end drop of .64 or so. For the last year or so the AUD has been so strong it made this market much more expensive.

Personally, I don't have a clue on forex and don't play that game, but know enough to watch it and shop where it works to our advantage. Good stating point if you've not checked out Oz yet is Multihulls ...great guys there.....

that's all!
- J
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 14:33   #2

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Um, in case you didn't catch this, home equity value has dropped by 20% in the US, people are turtled in their houses and no one can get a home loan, for boat loans they'd laugh their heads off. Oh, and 60% of the population thinks we're heading for another depression. So, don't expect tooo many yanks coming down there. The only reason the dollar is stronger is because they think every place else is going down too, and they may be right...
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 15:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Clearly the answer is to sell up and come to Aus and buy a boat and sail round the south pacific for a few years.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:16   #4
DtM

Nah, don't encourage that !!
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 18:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
In light of recent events, speculation on various currency values would be better directed to a forum more attune to currency values.

We don't really do financial topics very well here. After all the years here I've found the financial quality of the responses to be less than adequate.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 18:19   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

We don't really do financial topics very well here. After all the years here I've found the financial quality of the responses to be less than adequate.

I don't know. They are about as good as the service I got from my Merrill guy before I fired him...

That site is interesting but it has lots of boats I am not familiar with in the below 40 class. Also it seems there is a penchant for outboard power in Australia.

I am definitely a twin inboard kinda person.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 18:29   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
In times like this is when the wealthy really profit. They buy up the assets of the needy and sell it off when the economy recovers.

But actually the AUD was down around .55 back in early 2001. Ya'll doing good right now!
Old 06-10-2008, 19:00   #8

Hey gents,

Schoonerdog...you sure you're not my pop ghosting in the boatie forums?! ;-) I keep telling him to turn off CNN & Fox!

Really, not picking a fight with anyone...certainly (Paul) not giving forex advice in a yachtie forum!! Wall Street, forex...all voodoo/white noise to me, mate! Just giving a head's up to someone, much like me in 2001, that it's a big world with values to be had if you look outside the box. For anyone with that cash in hand that was already ready to buy SOMETHING I'm merely saying australia is sweeter now then it's been for awhile. Tons of cats here, too. ain't that what a forum is all about? Sharing something you see? If one is NOT shopping right now it doesn't really matter, eh?

Let me soapbox for a moment...it is not only the rich that get wealthy when times are hard somewhere....it's the prudent worldly consumer. i'd bet my better kidney that there are at least a couple dozen individuals in the usa right now that could, possibly, benefit from shopping overseas. Like anything volatile, time is of the essence. Turtles usually miss it and wonder why (me thinks satellite tv is in that shell!)?

Sincerely,
Jay
Old 07-10-2008, 06:32   #9

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I was actually pretty impressed that someone back at the beginning of the year posted a statement that the financial markets were going to implode starting in September. I, for one, was very impressed. I wouldn't say this is a place for financial advice, more like a dark tunnel that everyone can scream into and vent their frustrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
In light of recent events, speculation on various currency values would be better directed to a forum more attune to currency values.

schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydh View Post

If you have not already, do check out what is in australia if you are ready to buy now. The AUD dropped to a low of .72 this morning! It was floating in the 9's few months back and if you can believe or understand the forex thing news is projecting a low-end drop of .64 or so. For the last year or so the AUD has been so strong it made this market much more expensive.
Not to make any enemies but it would be nice if this held through boxing day. We'll be down under visiting rellies in Sydney and Melbourne.

If the rate holds and it's any consolation, I'll buy the stubbies if I meet any CFers...
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Not to make any enemies but it would be nice if this held through boxing day. We'll be down under visiting rellies in Sydney and Melbourne.If the rate holds and it's any consolation, I'll buy the stubbies if I meet any CFers...
My thoughts exactly. I will be visiting rellies in Perth.
Old 07-10-2008, 14:40   #12

Hey Dan & Talbot,

Have you thought of wiring cash to your family or friends over in Oz when the x-rate is at some level you like? For us, we did hold off and it added thousands from a week or two prior. Dumb luck, but nice to have 'free' spending money. We would of received more if waiting over the weekend, but were fine with it as it was the 'ok' point in our minds. Anyway, have a great trip!
-J
Old 07-10-2008, 16:13   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydh View Post
Hey Dan & Talbot,

Have you thought of wiring cash to your family or friends over in Oz when the x-rate is at some level you like?
You don't know my degenerate friends and family

Actually that's not a bad idea...
Old 07-10-2008, 17:18   #14

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
My thoughts exactly. I will be visiting rellies in Perth.
If you have the time and desire feel free to stop in and see my build. I will even buy you a beer.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 18:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
If you have the time and desire feel free to stop in and see my build. I will even buy you a beer.

Mike
You're talking about your boat, right?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote