Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 23:15   #1411

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Atlantic Delivery

As far as water go's, theres no real drinking water anywhere if Fla, or anywhere on the Gulf of mexico!! Most all of it is nasty smelling and not fit even for animals! Everyone I know in any of these areas drink only bottled water!! We filter every bit of tap water we have to use for cooking !! And if there was any left over water in the tanks when they were filled it could have easily messed up the whole water supply after a few days at sea ! Any of the other electric problems just prove that simple is still better in a sailing rig ! Now thats just my opinion! and ya all know the next line of that statement!!
Old 19-03-2014, 23:45   #1412

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
As far as water go's, theres no real drinking water anywhere if Fla, or anywhere on the Gulf of mexico!! Most all of it is nasty smelling and not fit even for animals! Everyone I know in any of these areas drink only bottled water!! We filter every bit of tap water we have to use for cooking !! :
Absolutely.....
Old 20-03-2014, 02:56   #1413
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
letsgetsailing3

I don't think I'm in any position to say what were mistakes, and what were not, but offhand I can think of only two which might fall firmly in that camp:

1) Putting up a SPOT link on a public forum

Why was that a mistake? - Boatys got more advertising for his business than I am sure he would want to pay for!! If I needed that service I would happly let him (or Atoll for that matter) deliver my boat based on what I have seen here! There's also a lot of armchair sailors that I wouldn't want near it.
Old 20-03-2014, 03:21   #1414
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Well, sure, when I'm in my hard shell phase. (Like now, ladies.)

Soft?, I'm more like a bare baby's butt.

Plus, be fair, Capt Sand Crab has the sand to contend with. We've all BTDT, I'd wager.
Ladies Look out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It can go further: the forum could control the auto-pilot remotely
Priceless !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
OMG MONKEY>>>> YOU FRIGGIN' KILL ME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hope... Sarongs play hell with my tan..
Gave up the budgie bidness???

Quote:
As far as water go's, theres no real drinking water anywhere if Fla, or anywhere on the Gulf of mexico!! Most all of it is nasty smelling and not fit even for animals! Everyone I know in any of these areas drink only bottled water!! We filter every bit of tap water we have to use for cooking !! And if there was any left over water in the tanks when they were filled it could have easily messed up the whole water supply after a few days at sea ! Any of the other electric problems just prove that simple is still better in a sailing rig ! Now thats just my opinion! and ya all know the next line of that statement!!
I can picture Bob shakin' his fist...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 20-03-2014, 04:37   #1415

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Why was that a mistake? - Boatys got more advertising for his business than I am sure he would want to pay for!! If I needed that service I would happly let him (or Atoll for that matter) deliver my boat based on what I have seen here! There's also a lot of armchair sailors that I wouldn't want near it.
+1
Old 20-03-2014, 05:09   #1416

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
There isn't a point. Its a vicious circle.

Remember the water, you forget the fuel.
Remember the fuel, you forget the rig.
Remember the rig, you forget the water.
Remember the water, you forget the weather.
Remember the weather, you forget the battery.

"Go light into the field" = the mind.

How about the successes? The striking one I remember is watching his S-curve around the weather heading south. I was convinced he had weather information coming in, but he didn't.
And next time you go for a drive on a rainy night, if you remember to turn on your windshield wipers, you forget to turn on your headlights. Does that make ANY sense at all? I don't think so, and it's not exactly a "vicious circle" to remember to turn both on as needed.

Since you know ahead of time that the successful completion of your delivery will depend on ALL those things you mention, it's a good idea to get the best handle you can on the condition of them all.

I absolutely think that his ability to understand and predict the weather without any electronic means is notable, but it's not something you or I can learn from a few posts about it like we can learn how valuable it is to check water tanks or fuel tanks or alternators or batteries.

I really am having a hard time understanding this idea that people can be only pro Boatie or con Boatie because to me that's not what this is all about. I haven't followed this from the beginning because watching a bunch of dots plotted on a map didn't really interest me, but I became interested about a week ago when he suddenly was making so little progress, and just like the rest of you, I couldn't help but wonder why. As it turns out there was no big collision or catastrophic rig failure and his problems were all common issues that could happen on any of our boats and it might be interesting and educational for all to discuss just how they came about and how they could be avoided, but as long as any honest discussion about how they happened and how they could have been avoided gets painted as "armchair quarterbacking" or attacking the boat's skipper it's not going to happen. Too bad.

One thing I'd really like sorted out is the electrical system. When someone tells me he has 2 "dubious" alternators, the first thing I'm thinking is "or 1 bad battery bank and 2 perfectly fine alternators" or "one loose battery terminal or battery switch connection," and it would be pretty easy to determine that at very little expense before departing on a voyage. It's unusual to have 2 identical alternator failures at the same time. Also, what happened to the genset to stop working? Did it stop running altogether or did it just stop putting out electricity? Diesel engines are so reliable and it's very unusual for one to be running one day and not running the next unless something pretty obvious has broken. That's the sort of answers that this thread "could" offer that might be helpful to others contemplating an offshore voyage.
Old 20-03-2014, 05:36   #1417
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
And next time you go for a drive on a rainy night, if you remember to turn on your windshield wipers, you forget to turn on your headlights. Does that make ANY sense at all? I don't think so, and it's not exactly a "vicious circle" to remember to turn both on as needed.
Its not the same. You have n^256 times more things to remember/have skills to fix or bring on a boat going to sea.
Old 20-03-2014, 05:41   #1418

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

jtsailjt I really agree with you regarding getting real information, the best value of CF for me is getting information on something you haven't done yet.

Boaty (hope he/you doesn't/don't mind that moniker), however possibly doesn't give a flying about what is wrong with the electrics since it's just a delivery, not his boat and I get the feeling he's happy getting to the destination with whatever the hell he can work out.
Old 20-03-2014, 05:48   #1419
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:

I really am having a hard time understanding this.....

One thing I'd really like sorted out is the electrical system. .....

Also, what happened to the genset to stop working? Did it stop running altogether or did it just stop putting out electricity? .....

That's the sort of answers that this thread "could" offer that might be helpful to others contemplating an offshore voyage.
It is not about being pro or anti boatman.

You are asking a reasonable question.

What you don't understand is that what you want to happen, is not likely to happen.

This was a delivery, a job for money, there is an owner is involved. Maybe in 5 years the story can be told and a few lessons learned. My understanding is that what you want to happen, is not going to happen.

If you want to address these issues in a more general way, divorced from this delivery, then you might want to start a new thread. Many kind regards. Sincerely, Neal

Edited
Old 20-03-2014, 05:49   #1420
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

Since you know ahead of time that the successful completion of your delivery will depend on ALL those things you mention, it's a good idea to get the best handle you can on the condition of them all.

I absolutely think that his ability to understand and predict the weather without any electronic means is notable, but it's not something you or I can learn from a few posts about it like we can learn how valuable it is to check water tanks or fuel tanks or alternators or batteries.

I really am having a hard time understanding this idea that people can be only pro Boatie or con Boatie because to me that's not what this is all about. I haven't followed this from the beginning because watching a bunch of dots plotted on a map didn't really interest me, but I became interested about a week ago when he suddenly was making so little progress, and just like the rest of you, I couldn't help but wonder why. As it turns out there was no big collision or catastrophic rig failure and his problems were all common issues that could happen on any of our boats and it might be interesting and educational for all to discuss just how they came about and how they could be avoided, but as long as any honest discussion about how they happened and how they could have been avoided gets painted as "armchair quarterbacking" or attacking the boat's skipper it's not going to happen. Too bad.

One thing I'd really like sorted out is the electrical system. When someone tells me he has 2 "dubious" alternators, the first thing I'm thinking is "or 1 bad battery bank and 2 perfectly fine alternators" or "one loose battery terminal or battery switch connection," and it would be pretty easy to determine that at very little expense before departing on a voyage. It's unusual to have 2 identical alternator failures at the same time. Also, what happened to the genset to stop working? Did it stop running altogether or did it just stop putting out electricity? Diesel engines are so reliable and it's very unusual for one to be running one day and not running the next unless something pretty obvious has broken. That's the sort of answers that this thread "could" offer that might be helpful to others contemplating an offshore voyage.
re the genset,from what phil told me it would startup then die immediatly,leaving a little message on the digital display........."fault #?...contact Kholer sevice agent!" a bit difficult when in the middel of the north atlantic!
Old 20-03-2014, 06:16   #1421
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Its not the same. You have n^256 times more things to remember/have skills to fix or bring on a boat going to sea.
Or is it n^256^n???

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
re the genset,from what phil told me it would startup then die immediatly,leaving a little message on the digital display........."fault #?...contact Kholer sevice agent!" a bit difficult when in the middel of the north atlantic!
That's the crap problem with the sophisticated gensets with their fancy panels... Lot to be said about the old Onan diesel sets with 2 wires coming out of the body... Sure enough... when something was crossed, you were screwed... ... but that darn engine would still run..... er... when they ran...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 20-03-2014, 06:53   #1422

If there is one take away it should be to keep your systems simple, simple to install, simple to operate, simple to repair and simple to use. All this stuff still has to work in a marine environment. Long time offshore cruisers more than often abide by this rule. When you are sailing for years in the outback, you need stuff you can rely on or fix yourself without having a degree in electronics.
Old 20-03-2014, 07:10   #1423

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Errrrr... I beg to differ.

I filled the tanks at Dinner Key marina in Coconut Grove in the new to me boat and brought it to Tampa a couple of weeks ago. I replenished once.

No problems with that water nor the Tampa supply.

In most cases, bottled water is a great marketing ploy which costs more than the expensive diesel we all use.
Old 20-03-2014, 07:19   #1424
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If there is one take away it should be to keep your systems simple, simple to install, simple to operate, simple to repair and simple to use.

Since I asked what a simple boat is in a past thread, what do you suggest in this case? In the end with the systems the boat had and the failures, the end result was a "simple" boat that still sailed along just as it would if not for the systems to start with. So it changes nothing!

In the end all systems can fail and on a sailboat as long as the sails still fly the boat still makes way. And as long as the sun raises you can chose a direction to head in.

This "simple" story always sounds good, but is a meaningless statement that people like to spread.
Old 20-03-2014, 07:23   #1425
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

My philosophy is to have whatever systems you think you would like to make cruising and passage-making as safe, comfortable and enjoyable as is reasonably possible. But also to make plans for how fix them, or ultimately to do without them if they fail.

Tags
delivery