Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 05:34   #1246
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Ohh.. and as for raising the main.. anyone familiar with the 440 will kow the boom is 6ft above deck.. the owner had 3 mast steps fitted just so on can reach the block for the mains up haul.. so its no easy thing to play with..
Also the set up won't stay still in anything less than a mirror sea so the battens tangle in the lazyjacks big time as one cannot close the wind enough for a trouble free hoist without the motors.. and.. I just could not be assed..
Damage to the boat was a blown 2nd reef in a N'ly gale the 1st night I headed for Horta.. the webbing straps cut through and I was not into hand grinding the extra feet.. delivery skippers do not like work...
Apart from that and the power failure there were no other problems.. nav was done on my laptop with the Nimble Navigator program... switch on twice a day for 3 minutes to check COG for any 'maybe' adjustments.. in the day the AP did the work.. at night we rested..
Thanks for all the interest and support from you all and some of the posts to date have had me ROTFLMAO big time.. you guys are awesome... only another 50 pages to read...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-03-2014, 05:34   #1247

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Goodonya Phil.

We managed to entertain ourselves in yer absence by fighting as usual.

I'm reminded of my 2nd favorite moderator, Sarafina, calling herself "Cat Wrangler."

On edit: With the Nimble Navigator reference, are you saying you just sailed across the Atlantic Ocean with a $100 Nav setup, and no weather info?

I love it. Think of all those who think that it can't be done.
Old 18-03-2014, 05:40   #1248

Re: Atlantic Delivery

lol, glad your well Boatman, you have had a interesting crossing, hope things improve for the final. JJ
Old 18-03-2014, 05:55   #1249
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

wow, there's a reversal I didn't expect. The whistling tower and the clown of a habour master are now turning into Horta sand crabs.

Atoll gave the info (prudent me still think), but owner gave the go (from me understanding)

Notice: jeanpierre-repair@sapo.pt.

Boaty, above all, a sincere thank-you for sharing this journey.
Old 18-03-2014, 06:04   #1250
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
just going to cover my arse here before it get roasted here is the email i sent to jp the night BEFORE he left

Alex , the owner wants me to go so I go , I took 450 l of feul involved 2
crews and have food for a week and as you now the weather can change very
quiqly here in the nord atlantic .

cheers JP
----- Original Message -----
To: "jean pierre" <jeanpierre-repair@sapo.pt>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:32 AM
Subject: catamaran "bonne etoille" arriving in horta.

hi jp
sent you a text last night after getting the latest position of bonne
etoille.
given the distance i think it is better that we wait another 36 hours before
you leave,ie monday morning.

the weather is still good with southerlies and he is making slow but steady
progeress towards horta,and in no danger.

plus at 60 miles,by the time you get there you will only have a few hours of
light to find him,and no new fix till after dark.

by monday he should be 20 miles or so away and a lot easier to find as he
should be aiming for horta channel,and will be apperciative of a tow in if
his engines are disabled as reported.
he might also be in range so he can use his cell phone,making assistance
much easier.

sorry to mess you around,but patience at the moment is probably the best
action.

not sure what the owners instructions were to you,as i haven't been able to
contact him this late tonght,but would not like him to get a substantial
bill unnessacarily for a 140 mile round trip,where as 40 miles is
justifiable,and errs on the side of caution.

cheers good job getting the sat phone it will make locating him much easier.

regards alex
Nobody's going to roast you... Lest if they try they are going to have to go through me first... (I btw am a whopping 5'9"/150lb... so look out)

I and others know how people react, and sometimes feel entitled... So be it... It's unfortunate that this has occurred, but everything will sort itself out in time.... Also unfortunate is the PITA that it's going to cause boaty... But... he's been in worse situations!

Was the owners call Alex... Nuff Said...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 18-03-2014, 06:09   #1251

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Seconded

It's unfortunate it has caused boaty such a head ache but like I said earlier, better to have this outcome then doing nothing and having him get porked in a bad storm.

Although boaty may disagree with me. I think he likes getting his adrenaline up when there is a blow and the odds are against him
Old 18-03-2014, 06:23   #1252
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Okay... don't want to piss on any ones parade here..

the aim was to alert vessels as to the fact an unlit boat was in the area and.. should any small vessel in the area be able to provide a jump start.. conditions permitting..
However I'm now starting to get pissed off with the guy constantly in my face for more work... when a guy who did a tow I did not need or ask for knocks on my hull and says he feels I owe him something it f*^king annoys me big time..

he's screwing the owner for near 50% of what I'm getting for the delivery for a daysail and he feels I owe him something.. the guy needs to crawl back out of his frickin ass..

As for help.. I know Horta well and got a big grin and.. 'Hey.. your back..' when I wandered into Mid-Atlantic and Peters yesterday.. I speak the language and even have friends who live here.. I am not a 'once in a lifetime' passer through..
You aren't pissin' on the parade... Just a crappy turn of events... You'll get through it with just one or two more tricks for the "old dog"

My take on the securite was always an unlit boat at night... (restricted maneuverability) Please try not to T-bone me..... that was it...

Quote:
Ohh.. and as for raising the main.. anyone familiar with the 440 will kow the boom is 6ft above deck.. the owner had 3 mast steps fitted just so on can reach the block for the mains up haul.. so its no easy thing to play with..

Thanks for all the interest and support from you all and some of the posts to date have had me ROTFLMAO big time.. you guys are awesome... only another 50 pages to read...
You were making "your progress" on "your accepted schedule" Nobody thinks you need/ed to work harder for more mile-ing if it was a major PITA!

We are a funny lot aren't we???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
wow, there's a reversal I didn't expect. The whistling tower and the clown of a habour master are now turning into Horta sand crabs.

Atoll gave the info (prudent me still think), but owner gave the go (from me understanding)
Notice: jeanpierre-repair@sapo.pt.

Boaty, above all, a sincere thank-you for sharing this journey.
Right - e - o.... *sigh* peckerheads are everywhere...

Quote:
Nobody's going to roast you... Lest if they try they are going to have to go through me first... (I btw am a whopping 5'9"/150lb... so look out)

I and others know how people react, and sometimes feel entitled... So be it... It's unfortunate that this has occurred, but everything will sort itself out in time.... Also unfortunate is the PITA that it's going to cause boaty... But... he's been in worse situations!

I've also been a victim of the undesired and UN NEEDED tow... Guy must have been his twin brother... You would have thought he defeated the Axis powers single handed the way he was chest puffing and boasting.... I know the type....

Pffff....

Old 18-03-2014, 06:30   #1253

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:

+1 Except the 5'9''/150 stuff. Im more like 6'/225...
Old 18-03-2014, 06:37   #1254
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Remember the 999,999 miles vs 30 for credit?

This may turn into some sort of post modern nightmare, an un-needed rescue turning into a needed one, from the ,s of Horta.
Old 18-03-2014, 06:44   #1255

Boat: Catalina 470

Phil,
Good show on everything, mate...
Especially your routing / weather predictions!!!
Quote:
Ran N with the E winds.. no other choice,, got to around 29N before I picked up something to make some E'ing.. did not like the Electric Light Show for the next few nights so ran SW as soon as possible (no weatherfax on board.. just reading the Mare's Tails)
I was all but certain that you were following the same wefax charts that I was using to predict your track...
How foolish do I look now???

But seriously, good show on reading the sky!!

Fair winds and sunny skies, to 'ya!!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 18-03-2014, 06:51   #1256
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
+1 Except the 5'9''/150 stuff. Im more like 6'/225...
EXCELLENT!!! New role... I'm really good at creating diversions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Remember the 999,999 miles vs 30 for credit?

This may turn into some sort of post modern nightmare, an un-needed rescue turning into a needed one, from the ,s of Horta.
*sigh* *again* No doubt... Let's hope this blows over quickly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Phil,
Good show on everything, mate...
Especially your routing / weather predictions!!!
I was all but certain that you were following the same wefax charts that I was using to predict your track...
How foolish do I look now???

But seriously, good show on reading the sky!!

Fair winds and sunny skies, to 'ya!!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Amazing huh???

Old 18-03-2014, 07:18   #1257

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Agreed that stuffed batteries seem to be a fair bit of the problem but Boaty did indicate he was getting some juice (only) from solar. Strikes me that solar was his only method of charging batteries and I note than many similar vessels from that USA/Europe with minimal solar. From my experience so far on French built catamarans they all need more solar than is generally supplied from the factory. Don't you agree.

For a large cat that amount of solar is hardly considered a solar farm
(more like standard). There are heaps of similar cats these days with that amount.

Electric issues strike me as one of the biggest issues for cruisers and as I follow CF the more this issue is reinforced. One of if not the best and cheapest sources of this is solar.

Boaty was coping well with the issues he had and in no way was my observation a criticism of him.
The amount of solar one puts on their boat is a personal choice not a 'standard'. The square footage of deck space required for 1000 watts of solar panels in not insignificant. And from what we know at this point, more solar would not have helped Boaty. The vessel was full of items that were taken care of under a 'deferred maintenance' plan, that is what bit him, not the lack of solar.
Old 18-03-2014, 07:24   #1258
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Boaty, glad to see you safe, sound and suitably grumpy about the 'tow-meister'!

Brad
Old 18-03-2014, 07:41   #1259

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

No roasting of Atoll. Given the available information I'm still of the "better safe than sorry" opinion. Sadly now there is a downside.

Ann is allowed to say "I told you so", but I suspect she has the good graces not to.
Old 18-03-2014, 07:52   #1260

Boaty's trip was not all that abnormal, **** bends and **** breaks sometimes and its not really all that uncommon on offshore trips. If you can cobble things back together and make it into port your good to go.
His weather reading also is normal but only for the crowd that were trained on reading clouds/barometer/sea state. Yes today's sailors raised on weather fax/grib files/sat phones and weather routers see this as magic but its just good seamanship.
For those of you that felt that reading this thread was really teaching you something then read Boaty's last post and I'll agree with you.
Atol's common sense kicked in at the last minute and his desire to delay the tow was a proper move contrary to many posters but unfortunately the owner had been caught up in all the drama and now our friend Boaty has been more than inconvenienced and the owner's pocket book will be lighter as well, not the best outcome in what was really just another normal delivery trip. It would surprise me if we see any more Spots used on public forums in the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery