Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 01:09   #916
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Please, I mean no offense, but I'm concerned that we are overreacting to our own ideas of how to "make it right", and we want to know now everything's going to be okay. One can really feel the momentum on the thread.

For what it's worth, Atoll, I say wait. You have good wx till Thursday. All the ducks are lined up for assistance. I think (suppose maybe a better word?) he's just doing his best, with only small sail, to keep that heavy cat moving. He has been slowly grinding down the miles. Who, at this point, would deprive him of the opportunity to bring it in on its own bottom?

It is only one possibility, but it could bring him a sense of compensatory competence, if he feels now that what happened to the boat is his "fault"[it happened while he was skippering]. Remember, it's his lifetime job to take as good care as possible of the ship and crew. I felt guilty when we were dismasted, like i had failed the boat; and I still remember how important it was to bring her in ourselves, even though damaged.

Remember from the original notice to mariners, the Portuguese word "varias" was used to describe the situation with the motor. "Varias" means a lot of things, but it does not mean totally broken down, it means more like unreliable, if my translation via Google is right.

Suppose, as suggested above, he's been wrenching, and comes the time, will be able to motor 5 min or so and get into the marina on his own. Another landing he shall have walked away from, I mean, a good one.

The closer to the island he gets, the more traffic there will be, a possible blessing, or curse, when you think of them out there unlit. However whoever's out there will be on the lookout for him, if they pay attention to the Securites.

Atoll, I get the feeling you'd like to put the brakes on. Just sit tight till Tuesday or Wednesday, as the weather develops. And he may be in by then!
He may catch a favorable windshift, and be back to being able to use the set to help him, as he gets closer.

Salty's right again. It IS a time for patience. Patience is just in short supply right now on my boat.

Ann
Your posts are part of what has made this a great thread, and it seems that you and atoll would probably agree on the main points.

1. Should atoll have alerted the owner to the situation with at least a week of sea time remaining and the weather, as always, unpredictable?
Yes

2. Should the tow boat wait another 24 hours with an eye on the weather.
Yes

3. Will boatman be vexed that a group of nanny's fretted over him for a good week now.
Most likely.

I think the difference is that for some, the idea of a tow upsets the sensibilities. You and boatman are probably included in that group, and if I was the captain of that boat, I might include myself.

There is, however, one problem with that. It is not your dismasted boat limping into harbor and it is not boatman's. So your perspective, however informative and valuable, should not be a factor in the owners decision regarding a tow, nor should it affect the advise that one gives the owner. I don't think pride should be a factor in the decision making. Not a factor in the owners decision and not a factor in the decision a concerned friend makes.
With much respect and appreciation of your knowledge and perspective.

Don't hate us boatman, it's only because we care.
Old 16-03-2014, 01:10   #917

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
I took that filter out and just let the pretentions flow out the through-hull.
The waste discharge through-hull.
Old 16-03-2014, 01:16   #918
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I have read so many accounts of how people have learned so much from this thread. It has been interesting to be sure, almost like a live reality show in some ways but in the end its all speculation, no one knows for sure exactly what is happening. Yes we can see his position daily and we have had a little glimpse of problems via a notice to mariners but other than that bit of known the rest of the "information" has been made up by members on this site.
Just imagine if we were in the same space 15 years ago, none of this would be happening. There is better than an even chance that Boaty would have arrived late and there would be some stories pass at the local bar after his arrival, other than that, no drama.
So true.

I sometimes wish we could go back. The vast amounts of information we have these days is a bit overwhelming and has made decision making just a tad more complicated. I prefer to have fewer choices.
Old 16-03-2014, 01:43   #919
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

He probably will never tell us again when his next delivery is.

Coops.
Totally agree… I doubt Boatie will ever make that mistake again.

Putting an internet spotlight on your delivery with a transmitting positioning tool yet without the ability to communicate reassuring updates is the perfect Lovecraft recipe.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
― H.P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature
Old 16-03-2014, 02:00   #920
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

When the tow hoves into view and Phil is appraised of the owner's concern, I reckon he will be grateful that the owner cares enough to go out and make sure he is OK and to render assistance if required.

Phil has always insisted he has the con while under way, not the owner nor anyone else. If he feels he doesn't need any assistance, he will advise JP accordingly. If he needs partial assistance, he will accept it (say fuel). If he decides he needs a tow, he will be happy to accept one.

Some other owners have not been so caring .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-03-2014, 02:11   #921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Atoll, well done on getting hold of the owner. And in picking up the issues quickly.

Always going to be owner's decision on when/if to go - his boat, his money and potentially a crew at risk if weather turns bad too soon. A good outcome that the tow is heading out.

Sure boatie is very capable, but he is also pragmatic. I cant see him being too proud for a tow when the owner asked for it. If I was paying for a delivery those qualities are what I would want in the skipper.
Just to expand on this a little.
In the past, Phil has always insisted prior to taking on the job, he (and only him) will be the one making the decisions while underway.

If he needs a tow, he will accept it, if he doesn't, he will reject it. If he needs partial assistance, he will accept that but whatever the situation, he will be the one calling the shots until the job is completed (or he relieved of the command - highly unlikely).

As previously posted, he will be grateful that the owner cares
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-03-2014, 02:34   #922

Hey Boatie, if you ever read this far, this thread has to have the largest number of posts between your last post and your next one ; especially given you are the OP.

Now get off that ocean and back where you belong - at the keyboard with a small brandy in hand
Old 16-03-2014, 02:35   #923

Boat: WorkingOnTheWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just to expand on this a little.
In the past, Phil has always insisted prior to taking on the job, he (and only him) will be the one making the decisions while underway.

If he needs a tow, he will accept it, if he doesn't, he will reject it. If he needs partial assistance, he will accept that but whatever the situation, he will be the one calling the shots until the job is completed (or he relieved of the command - highly unlikely).

As previously posted, he will be grateful that the owner cares
Totally Agree.
Old 16-03-2014, 02:55   #924

Boaty is not unique, a captain decides whats happening with the boat, end of conversation. For those of you that think its the owner, well you should go along on a trip when the owner signs up as crew when he hires a delivery skipper. The owners often get frustrated when they have ideas that the captain will not entertain.
Old 16-03-2014, 03:01   #925
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

+1000

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 16-03-2014, 03:05   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Boaty is not unique, a captain decides whats happening with the boat, end of conversation. For those of you that think its the owner, well you should go along on a trip when the owner signs up as crew when he hires a delivery skipper. The owners often get frustrated when they have ideas that the captain will not entertain.
It is surprising to many how little this concept is understood .
Old 16-03-2014, 03:11   #927
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

If it was me, and i think boaty would be thinking the same...I woulld be thinking...
"what the hell!!???Ive been drifting at 1knot for a week, at this rate Horta is 3 days drift IF conditions don't deteriorate...I paid $300 for a f&%&%kn spot ....AND posted a thread on *^&^$ CF .so those #%## could follow my progress....Where the hell is my tow! The thread must have slipped off the bottom of the page...
B^$$ST&^RDS!!!!"

NB Palarran...as far as the what went wrong poll...I'm going for 'wrong anchor'
Old 16-03-2014, 03:23   #928
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It is surprising to many how little this concept is understood .
Not sure that I noticed anyone suggesting that the owner controls the boat, only the that owner decides whether or not to send out a tow.
Old 16-03-2014, 03:28   #929
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

JP under way with phils latest position,and rate of drift.
phil,doing less than a knot now, he only made 7 miles in the last 12hrs in a NE direction.

weather is calm ,visibility is good,jp is making 6.5 knots to last known position.
fingers crossed he should be in the search area about 3.30 utc,or 9hours time
Old 16-03-2014, 03:29   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Not sure that I noticed anyone suggesting that the owner controls the boat, only the that owner decides whether or not to send out a tow.
+1
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery