Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 18:00   #736

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p
Re: Atlantic Delivery

From memory of timing and posts Boaty was doing 2.5 k for a day or two when the gribs were reporting 10-15k SE, pretty much on the beam to Horta, hence the thoughts expressed that he had lost sail power.

You would have to guess that wasn't the wind at the time. Were the gribs wrong? Is this just expected to have perhaps 10-15k over a large area but locally have different conditions?

Oh, and good job Atoll I imagine Boaty will want to buy you a beer for that !
Old 14-03-2014, 18:00   #737

Boat: PETERSON 44

I am not sure how I would feel. If I were making way and under control of my boat. I Had satellite comms and someone decided that I needed more help because of the conditions as explained in the forum. It's odd that the owner did not know of this yes? Or the condition. If it is a condition.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:05   #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the owner phoned me 10 minutes ago,just got back from work...so i guess he has been busy!

.........but my email got his attention!

i have put him in contact with j.p. in horta so hopefull they will arrange a tow tomorrow before the weather picks up again.
you know, that is a real slap in the face, He (Boaty) (Phil) had already stated he did not (DID NOT) request help. This man is a die hard sailor and can manage himself with out you jumping to conclusions and contacting the owner of the said boat stating some emergency. Hope you get stuck with the bill.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:15   #739
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I am not sure how I would feel. If I were making way and under control of my boat. I Had satellite comms and someone decided that I needed more help because of the conditions as explained in the forum. It's odd that the owner did not know of this yes? Or the condition. If it is a condition.

this has crossed my mind........ but trying to hand steer a boat 24 hours a day doing 1-2 knots,as they have done for the last 6 days,with potentially no wind untill next thursday convinced me and i hope the owner that the best course of action was to get the boat in safe so repairs can be effected.

there is no satellite phone on the boat,only the spot.

plus knowing phil personally,and he is a resourceful guy he would not have put out a securite message unless he was a a tad concerned.

at the end of the day it is the owners decision wheter he arranges a tow or not,but im my experince it is better to arrange a price beforehand than be forced to take a tow at a later date,over a barrel from a passing fishing vessel.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:19   #740
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
you know, that is a real slap in the face, He (Boaty) (Phil) had already stated he did not (DID NOT) request help. This man is a die hard sailor and can manage himself with out you jumping to conclusions and contacting the owner of the said boat stating some emergency. Hope you get stuck with the bill.
have you met him ? i have

have you saild around the azores at this time of year? i have

,it may be like a mill pond at the moment,but by friday they could be in a 60 knot gale on a lee shore.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:22   #741
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
Palarran,
Now you can get a job at the Psychic Hotline.

We have no idea what the cause is my guess is it has nothing to do with the “time of year” and more to do with maintenance on a vessel that just changed hands. don't sprain a wrist patting yourself on the back just yet.

Atoll,
Please proceed with patting yourself on the back! You might have just saved him a boring week
Geek,
Welcome to the forum. I haven't needed a job for a while but will keep the hotline suggestion because you never know (well, I do actually).

Your right that I shouldn't pat myself on the back for making a joke, of a joke, that was so poor that you didn't get it. Sorry.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:41   #742

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
this has crossed my mind........ but trying to hand steer a boat 24 hours a day doing 1-2 knots,as they have done for the last 6 days,with potentially no wind untill next thursday convinced me and i hope the owner that the best course of action was to get the boat in safe so repairs can be effected.

plus knowing phil personally,and he is a resourceful guy he would not have put out a securite message unless he was a a tad concerned.

at the end of the day it is the owners decision wheter he arranges a tow or not,but im my experince it is better to arrange a price beforehand than be forced to take a tow at a later date,over a barrel from a passing fishing vessel.

"Better to render assistance when not needed than to wish you had when it was."

Good job, Atoll.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:43   #743

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Whether Boatie asked for help yet or not, it seems as if a plan is being executed to help him in. I'm sure he's aware Atoll's there, and would eventually pick up the notice to mariners. Knowing the changeability of the weather there, it would seem that it is in the owner's best interest to get the boat to safety before it gets caught in storm conditions, and with Boatie also aware of the changeability, I'm pretty sure he'd forgive Atoll, even if it were a matter of pride to get it in under its own steam.

Suppositions:
1) He's figured away around the solenoid, so they're still having hot drinks and meals.
2) He may have rigged some form of sheet to tiller steering, so that they only have to tweak it, rather than actually hand steering, which is a drag, and usually leads to shortened watch schedules.

Safe arrival to you, Boatie.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:44   #744

Quote:

I have little idea of what comms they have. The spot should be able to send messages. I was only saying I might not be real happy if someone intervened given what we know. I may also be delighted that their was all kinds of support. Why I said not sure how I would feel. Having done some crossings without all this tech stuff. Their is a sense of disengagement. Perhaps a pointless sense of achievement with out intervention. I think I would be happy someone had me covered but I am unsure how I would feel about it.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:47   #745

Quote:
have you met him ? i have

have you saild around the azores at this time of year? i have

,it may be like a mill pond at the moment,but by friday they could be in a 60 knot gale on a lee shore.
today is Friday, for two more hours, glad to see your really on top of things. No, i dont know him, you jump the gun !
Old 14-03-2014, 18:57   #746
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
today is Friday, for two more hours, glad to see your really on top of things. No, i dont know him, you jump the gun !
it is saturday here,and the forcast for the next 6 days is 0-5 knot of wind from the east, that is till next thursday.
friday NEXT week the wind comes back with gales,in the meantime it will be a mill pond,with less than 2 foot of ground swell.

today he was 5 miles further away from his destination after 12 hours of sailing/drifting with much the same till thursday NEXT WEEK..

i think you might have jumped the gun
Old 14-03-2014, 19:01   #747

He has a working spot that can send messages . Yes?
Old 14-03-2014, 19:03   #748

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I can see this opening up a can of worms.
Old 14-03-2014, 19:04   #749
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
He has a working spot that can send messages . Yes?
no,only if has been pre programmed which the owner says it has not

so no messages
Old 14-03-2014, 19:05   #750
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Atoll is doing what he thinks is the right thing and as he is also a very experienced sailor himself I back his judgement.

Better to risk a bit of a red face than to sit and do nothing and watch somebody get into serious trouble. We all know that Phil is extremely capable, but you help mates, not ignore them.

Coops.

Tags
delivery