Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 09:19   #1456
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Atlantic Delivery

So Boaty how's the repairs going so it will be deemed seaworthy again? When do you expect to be setting off?
__________________

__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 09:28   #1457
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. no bikini clad beauties..
I'm not their type..
Rumor had it you had 1 or 2 on board that you shanghaied in Florida. Then again admitting to that on a public forum would be ill advised so we'll just all secretly believe the rumor
__________________

__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 10:27   #1458
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
CF.....= CRITICS FORUM..LOL..
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 10:33   #1459
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
...
The use of technology for comm, navigation and weather forecasting diminishes brain cells, your nautical skills, and your capacity for reasoning and observation of the world around you. It makes you more dependent and less independent.
...
How many turn off your cockpit stereos, come out of your boat caves and really listen and observe what is around you? How many consistently practice emergency navigation skills (which include the stars) and are able to read the waves and sky for weather? I'd say, hardly anyone.
Yeah but that's an argument long lost around hereabouts. Southern Star's plug and play redundancy boggles my crustacean brain stem. Be a lot cheaper, faster, and far less hassle to just fly somewhere and charter. Skip the scary part in the middle. Most family members'd be happier too.

♫ ... give me the simple life ... ♫

Pal o mine learned the sextant as a boy and when he got his first trans At crew job he asked the captain if he wanted an accurate position. (ca 1960 or so). Cap was said to reply: "kid, if I can't hit Europe from here, I'll turn in my sailor hat."
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 10:42   #1460
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Saltymonkey, I appreciate your concern about my brain cells - and believe me, there is reason for concern apart from the use of some modern technology!

Cheers!

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 11:16   #1461
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,098
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo64 View Post
Glad you're safe and sound Boats. But, boys and girls I think it's time to put this thread to bed.
Hope you're kidding, Boatman's just passed the two thirds mark. The show must go on. Now back to my armchair.

Goat
__________________
goat is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 11:24   #1462
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Atlantic Delivery

@phil

i would be interested to know if you managed to get the 440 to self steer when the auto pilot didnt have enough juice to operate.

part of the cause for concern was you only making 2.5 knots in 20-25 knots of wind,which we now see was you probably drifting overnight with the wind behind you.
leading us to belive that not only had you lost engine power,but all your sails were ripped.

also given that the spot was only coming on twice a day this gave an average speed between two pionts 12 hour apart wich was misleeding as you were probably drifting for half of that period,but going a lot faster once the auto pilot started working,giving a mean speed.

i would reccomend turning on the spot for half an hour, half an hour before going to sleep and drifting,then turn it on again for half an hour once getting underway,as this would give an observer a correct picture of what is actually happening onboard.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 11:41   #1463
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Atlantic Delivery

BlueCrab, its virtually always cheaper to fly somewhere but that is irrelevant. My boat was a relatively inexpensive purchase - in part so that I would have the funds to replalce alll sails, running rigging, standing rigging, thru-hulls/sea cocks, lifelines, hatches, opening ports and to ensure that I had redundancy for all important systems. Frankly, that not only provides me comfort, but it provides comfort to my significant other. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Do you have to agree? No. But it certainly doesn't merit making the insulting suggestion that anyone who believes in redundancy should take a flight and avoid sailing because they want to avoid the 'scarey part in the middle'.

Let's face it, there is always the possibility of thing's getting scarey (or just uncomfortable) in any offshore passage, but unlike you, I prefer to avoid frightening (or uncomfortable) situations that are solely the result of poor planning and poor preparation.

Cheers!

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 11:54   #1464
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
BlueCrab, its virtually always cheaper to fly somewhere but that is irrelevant. My boat was a relatively inexpensive purchase - in part so that I would have the funds to replalce alll sails, running rigging, standing rigging, thru-hulls/sea cocks, lifelines, hatches, opening ports and to ensure that I had redundancy for all important systems. Frankly, that not only provides me comfort, but it provides comfort to my significant other. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Do you have to agree? No. But it certainly doesn't merit making the insulting suggestion that anyone who believes in redundancy should take a flight and avoid sailing because they want to avoid the 'scarey part in the middle'.

Let's face it, there is always the possibility of thing's getting scarey (or just uncomfortable) in any offshore passage, but unlike you, I prefer to avoid frightening (or uncomfortable) situations that are solely the result of poor planning and poor preparation.

Cheers!

Brad
Well said! This was our exact philosophy on our two year Atlantic circle tour.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!"

You have worked and dreamed your whole adult life for the opportunity. Why screw it up with poor preparation.

Clearly, a delivery skipper does not normally have this luxury.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 12:11   #1465
Registered User
 
Fiveslide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Posts: 602
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Fiveslide is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 12:54   #1466
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Agreed LakeSuperior and thanks for getting us back on topic. Delivery skippers do not have the ability to insist upon redundant systems, even if they would chose to do so in their own boats. Again, kudos to Boatie for bringing her in safely in spite of some pre-existing systems issues on the boat he was hired to deliver!

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 13:31   #1467
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yeah but that's an argument long lost around hereabouts. Southern Star's plug and play redundancy boggles my crustacean brain stem. Be a lot cheaper, faster, and far less hassle to just fly somewhere and charter. Skip the scary part in the middle. Most family members'd be happier too."
I seem to remember a three hour tour that didn't end so well
__________________
theaton is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 13:48   #1468
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I'm in Tech$ and a Am. Ex HAM. Yet...

The use of technology for comm, navigation and weather forecasting diminishes brain cells, your nautical skills, and your capacity for reasoning and observation of the world around you. It makes you more dependent and less independent.

Technology should be the backup or confirmation training tool, not the other way. Your brain has infinite technology and its FREE. Why not use it?

How many turn off your cockpit stereos, come out of your boat caves and really listen and observe what is around you? How many consistently practice emergency navigation skills (which include the stars) and are able to read the waves and sky for weather? I'd say, hardly anyone.
With as many posts as you've written on this thread I would guess you haven't left the confines of your computer room in almost three weeks? Some of us just can't admit to their technological addiction.
__________________
smj is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 13:55   #1469
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

i would reccomend turning on the spot for half an hour, half an hour before going to sleep and drifting,then turn it on again for half an hour once getting underway,as this would give an observer a correct picture of what is actually happening onboard.
Which begs the question: Notwithstanding Boatman's original intent for posting SPOT on CF what is his intent, if any, now? The rampant speculation and high anxiety shown in this thread is enough to gag a buzzard. I do not see any good coming from continued SPOT broadcasts which would invite further asinine speculation. This thread has been a real cluster (CF) on CF.
__________________
Richard5 is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 14:02   #1470
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I'm in Tech$ and a Am. Ex HAM. Yet...

The use of technology for comm, navigation and weather forecasting diminishes brain cells, your nautical skills, and your capacity for reasoning and observation of the world around you. It makes you more dependent and less independent.

Technology should be the backup or confirmation training tool, not the other way. Your brain has infinite technology and its FREE. Why not use it?

How many turn off your cockpit stereos, come out of your boat caves and really listen and observe what is around you? How many consistently practice emergency navigation skills (which include the stars) and are able to read the waves and sky for weather? I'd say, hardly anyone.
It's about time someone said something worthwhile.
__________________

__________________
Richard5 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Buddy Boat - Block Island to Norfolk or Atlantic City Weehappy Atlantic & the Caribbean 16 10-10-2016 18:07
Atlantic 48 vs Switch 51 Catastroff Multihull Sailboats 33 25-04-2013 13:38
For Sale: Atlantic 44 in Greece ionionsails Classifieds Archive 0 11-02-2013 14:15
Quick Release Dinghy for MOB shorebird General Sailing Forum 13 26-01-2012 08:00
Crew Wanted: Delivery Required - Phuket to Brisbane Donkey Crew Archives 4 25-11-2011 20:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.