Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 11:25   #1276

Boat: Macgregor 21
Re: Atlantic Delivery

First, I've made no passages and took up sailing only very recently at relatively late age. With that context in mind, one thing that I find very interesting about this thread and Mr. Boatman's journey is the patience that it must take in these circumstances.

Initially, as I recall, Boatman was making 140-170nm days. He was making good time. Then, suddenly, things came to a crawl for almost an entire week. I don't have the specifics leading up to the tow, but it appeared painfully slow from my chair here in Phoenix, Arizona.

With (a) water running thin, (2) speeds at 2-3kts, (III) hundreds of miles to go and pure tedium of sitting still for days on a small boat in a very large ocean - how do you not go batshit crazy?

I get frustrated and irritated sitting at a traffic light that seems to last forever - I cannot imagine being becalmed with broken equipmenet and dwindling supplies - for several days on end. That alone requires a level of mental strength that I find amazing.

That is one of many items I took away from this discussion.
Old 18-03-2014, 11:33   #1277
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo1 View Post
With (a) water running thin, (2) speeds at 2-3kts, (III) hundreds of miles to go and pure tedium of sitting still for days on a small boat in a very large ocean - how do you not go batshit crazy?

I get frustrated and irritated sitting at a traffic light that seems to last forever - I cannot imagine being becalmed with broken equipmenet and dwindling supplies - for several days on end. That alone requires a level of mental strength that I find amazing.

This is because you are still in a rat race and live in a government-programmed culture

Once you break free and discover the real/natural world, you'll be happy to just be healthy, have fun, catch your dinner and explore nature

For now, watch the Matrix movies again
Old 18-03-2014, 11:33   #1278

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine1218 View Post
Where are the pictures of the crew?
And who was that lady on the monohull pages back? Boaty's crew?
Old 18-03-2014, 11:38   #1279

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Well, it took some doing but I dug up boaty's crew from an old post a few years back. Eat your heart out boys.

Old 18-03-2014, 11:49   #1280

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
And who was that lady on the monohull pages back? Boaty's crew?

Sand crab, I believe you meant this photo from page 74.

That is actually Laura Dekker, the teenaged circumnavigator.
Old 18-03-2014, 11:55   #1281
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
First, I've made no passages and took up sailing only very recently at relatively late age. With that context in mind, one thing that I find very interesting about this thread and Mr. Boatman's journey is the patience that it must take in these circumstances.

Initially, as I recall, Boatman was making 140-170nm days. He was making good time. Then, suddenly, things came to a crawl for almost an entire week. I don't have the specifics leading up to the tow, but it appeared painfully slow from my chair here in Phoenix, Arizona.

how can you go bat **** crazy when you already are?
Old 18-03-2014, 12:00   #1282

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

OutofControl .... you are definitely Out of Control!!!

ROTFLMAO
Old 18-03-2014, 12:10   #1283
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
ROFL!!!@!@!@ +1
Old 18-03-2014, 12:14   #1284

Now that was funny!
Old 18-03-2014, 12:27   #1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This is because you are still in a rat race and live in a government-programmed culture

Once you break free and discover the real/natural world, you'll be happy to just be healthy, have fun, catch your dinner and explore nature

For now, watch the Matrix movies again
So, do I take the blue pill or the red pill? I can never remember.

Also - only the first Matrix movie is worth watching. #2 was created only so that they could completely disappoint you with #3. I refuse to acknowledge the Matrix as a trilogy.

While it may be true that being in the real/natural world would remove some of these "First World Problems" that many of us face - there is still the reality of having 5+ days (120+ hours) to contemplate the challenges. How do you not end up like Lieutenant Dan at the top of the mast screaming challenges to the skies?

I have now completely ruined any chance that any of you would invite me to crew for you...
Old 18-03-2014, 12:30   #1286

Regarding alternative energy source starter motors
(spring/hydraulic/compressed air)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I've used these , but not on a marine engine. Very expensive and realistically you need a dual starter bell housing which is not commonly available

It's not really a solution

Dave
I guess the swap option is limited, eg to people with opposable thumbs and a toolkit
Old 18-03-2014, 12:31   #1287

Naw, all of us have been in the rat race just like you but it sure feels good to get as far away as possible. Only problem is after a few years of cruising you are almost unemployable!
Old 18-03-2014, 12:35   #1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Have we met - or have you been talking to my wife?
Old 18-03-2014, 12:41   #1289

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
How do you not end up like Lieutenant Dan at the top of the mast screaming challenges to the skies?
I haven't done it at the top of a mast.

*Edited to add*... yet

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-03-2014, 12:48   #1290

Boat: Tayana 47

With the exception of JP going out sooner than needed, "dinging" the cat, and then hitting Boatie up for more money (really inappropriate since the owner hired him, not Boatie), I think everyone did just as they should have here. First, why should any of us have any great concern about the owners pocketbook, other than the owner and maybe not even him? He's (presumably) a big boy and he made the decision to have HIS boat towed in, something he's entitled to do......and pay for. All Atoll did was put him in touch with someone he could (or not) hire and he even recommended that IF a tow were to occur, that it should wait until Boatie was much closer to the harbor. That seems to me to have been the best possible course of action. It's not his fault that JP chose to not follow his advice to the letter. Also, if Boatie REALLY didn't want a tow in, he could have refused. It might have pissed off the owner and I personally think that once offered, it would have been silly and even irresponsible to refuse it as he was approaching an area likely to have other boats around and with no nav lights in the condition the boat and his stores of water were in, but the bottom line is that he DID (properly, in my view) accept the tow.

This was NOT anything close to an emergency and of course Boatie could have made it to at least spitting distance of terra firma Horta without a tow, but with no engine, and having never before docked this cat, if I were the owner I wouldn't really want his first attempt at docking to be under sail, so he would have needed either a tow or a jump start anyway. I also would have been dying of curiosity to know exactly what was wrong with my boat ASAP.

Now that the port captain is involved, there's a small downside in that Boatie will have to wait a while longer for proper repairs to be made than jury rigged repairs would have taken. But based on the way the boat was moving over the past week, Boatie isn't in a huge hurry anyway, and if he does need to be somewhere else soon, he can always quit and let somebody else finish the delivery once the boat is once again shipshape, or come back and pick it up later. So, for now he gets to hang out at Cafe Sport by night and tinker with the boat by day and otherwise enjoy life while the owner makes arrangements and writes some checks that will get the boat into the condition it should have been in before this trans Atlantic delivery was ever contemplated. Either now or sometime soon the owner would have needed to have the repairs done anyway so he's only out the difference in costs between Europe and Azores prices. It seems to me that it was he who was in a big hurry to have his boat delivered when he knew about the "dubious" condition of the alternators. Hopefully there's a lesson to be learned here about the long term costs involved in deferring maintenance on critical systems, especially before attempting an ocean crossing. I think most of us would have fixed everything we had any doubts about before we either allowed someone else to deliver it across the Atlantic or delivered it ourselves. But, his boat is getting delivered and no real harm done except to his wallet and of course none of the rest of us have ever taken a surprise hit to the bank account due to our boats, right?
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery