Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 08:08   #1261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Boaty's trip was not all that abnormal, **** bends and **** breaks sometimes and its not really all that uncommon on offshore trips. If you can cobble things back together and make it into port your good to go.
His weather reading also is normal but only for the crowd that were trained on reading clouds/barometer/sea state. Yes today's sailors raised on weather fax/grib files/sat phones and weather routers see this as magic but its just good seamanship.
For those of you that felt that reading this thread was really teaching you something then read Boaty's last post and I'll agree with you.
Atol's common sense kicked in at the last minute and his desire to delay the tow was a proper move contrary to many posters but unfortunately the owner had been caught up in all the drama and now our friend Boaty has been more than inconvenienced and the owner's pocket book will be lighter as well, not the best outcome in what was really just another normal delivery trip. It would surprise me if we see any more Spots used on public forums in the future.
i think phils biggest concern was his lack of drinkable water had he not been able to stop a ship that gave him 12 liters,300 odd miles from resupply,coupled with the calms in the area,things could have gone south quite quickly,regardless of all the other issues,hardly a"NOT ABNORMAL"trip.

.....i think our concerns were justified.had he not had the spot we would probably be reporting him as overdue in the near future.
Old 18-03-2014, 08:12   #1262

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
wow, there's a reversal I didn't expect. The whistling tower and the clown of a habour master are now turning into Horta sand crabs.
Don't bring my family into this.
Old 18-03-2014, 08:12   #1263
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops

He probably will never tell us again when his next delivery is.

Coops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Totally agree… I doubt Boatie will ever make that mistake again.

Putting an internet spotlight on your delivery with a transmitting positioning tool yet without the ability to communicate reassuring updates is the perfect Lovecraft recipe.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
― H.P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature

Feel your pain Boatie! I think we would call this a "modern" problem
Old 18-03-2014, 08:16   #1264
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Don't bring my family into this.
With or without your permission.... Your reputation proceeds you...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 18-03-2014, 08:25   #1265

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
With or without your permission.... Your reputation proceeds you...
Ouch! And I thought SA was a rough neighborhood.
Old 18-03-2014, 08:41   #1266
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Ouch! And I thought SA was a rough neighborhood.
HA!!!

It's the Monkey's and Azul Crab's fault... They got me all spunked up and punchy...

Old 18-03-2014, 08:41   #1267

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm loathe to respond here...as I really don't wish to drift this thread, nor get involved in a no-win discussion....
But, I feel the need to say something!!!
(so, sorry Boaty...)

Robert,
While I mostly agree with your penultimate sentence here...aside from the lack of adequate fresh water...
Quote:
in what was really just another normal delivery trip.
In my opinion, reading the rest of what your write (here in this post and earlier in post #912) you are sort of "missing-the-boat" here..

In my experience (and in my opinion) on the internet, as in life, there will always be folks who understand/interpret things differently than you do (and even if they're VERY different, it does not necessarily make them wrong), but my feeling is that, most reading this thread did learn some things (as I wrote earlier in post # 956)...

Now we all know that I was incorrect in my assumption that Phil was using wefax charts (and I have congratulated him on his abilities to read the sky, baro, etc.)...but this does not discount the facts that many here did learn from this thread....

Please read what I wrote 2 days ago....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1493843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Robert,
I may be incorrect in my assumption here, but I understood the many folks who posted that they've learned a lot here in this thread were referring to:
a) the way weather systems play such an important role in ocean sailing, particularly on NON-tradewind routes, such as an eastbound passage across the N. Atlantic...(especially on "off-season" passages)...
b) the ways offshore weather info/forecasts are disseminated and used by sailors offshore/at sea...(many find synoptic charts much better than the raw computer model data from Grib's)
c) how to better use the weather info/forecasts, such as synoptic charts, etc. (using upper air charts to better understand the weather patterns and longer term forecasts, etc..)
d) The vagaries of ocean sailing...(especially off-season)
e) The ways that constant 24/7 use of systems, for weeks straight, for 1000's of miles continuously, can take their toll on them, and how this would probably never occur in 20 years of coastal sailing...(whether rigging, sails, mechanics, electrical, steering, fuel systems, etc....they are all seriously put to test on a long ocean passage...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor
I have read so many accounts of how people have learned so much from this thread. It has been interesting to be sure, almost like a live reality show in some ways but in the end its all speculation, no one knows for sure exactly what is happening.
I never interpreted anyone here as saying that they "learned a lot" from watching a reality show experience, discussing sailor's pride, when/if to offer assistance, nor looking at the Spot website, etc...

Again, maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions....but in my postings I've been clear in the details of the weather info / forecasts and my choice/prediction of route (which was accurate and I based it on the US NWS/NOAA Ocean Prediction Center's synoptic charts, surface charts, wind/wave forecasts, and 500mb upper air charts...)
And, with some others following along and adding their thoughts/predictions, I assumed that this is primarily what had given such new insight for those reading this thread...

And, while I briefly added in my personal thoughts about "not being to proud to crawl", etc...the ancillary comments on sailors pride, etc. are, in my opinion, not what most here are learning from...

Fair winds to 'ya Phil!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie

Again, I was incorrect in my assumption that Boaty was using wefax charts, but other than that I stand by my words/thoughts....
And further, now that we all know most of the situation on-board, everyone here can learn more!!!

Perhaps if you were a bit more optimistic of your fellow sailors' (and Cruiser's Forum brethren) ability to ignore the BS and learn some things, your curmudgeonlyattitude would wane???
Just a friendly nudge....no insult intended...

Finally, as regards "Spot" and other "toys", etc...certainly not something I'd have on my boat....But....
Quote:
It would surprise me if we see any more Spots used on public forums in the future.
Just my opinion, but I think you may be underestimating the hype that these things get, as well as many modern consumers being influenced by "peer pressure", "facebook status", the "coolness factor", etc...
Unfortunately, I suspect we'll see more of this, rather than less....

So, fair winds to all....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 18-03-2014, 08:44   #1268
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post

Ann is allowed to say "I told you so", but I suspect she has the good graces not to.
+! Anne would have saved the owner a chuck of change and saved boatman a little time. And the weather looks pretty good today, so it looks like boatman would have made it in to Horta without any trouble.

But life is messy and shi#t happens, so no regrets either way.

It was a great thread for someone like me who's never been to the rodeo. It's as close as I'll ever get to a crossing. Many, many thanks Boatman.
Old 18-03-2014, 09:01   #1269

Hi John,
I agree with your comments on learning and some of your threads about weather were good. I also know opinions including mine are not fact, not right or wrong, simply opinions. Like you I have been sailing offshore for many years and I have seen all kinds of different things happen to boats and people but by and large people make it to where they are going. My wife and I hand steered 24 hours a day for over two weeks when our 2 autopilots gave up the ghost (under bought and never made that mistake again) Electronics and sea water environments have always been an issue.
And finally, yes your right John, from time to time I can be a pain in the ass, guess I'm getting old!
Fair Winds...R
Old 18-03-2014, 09:12   #1270
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
+! Anne would have saved the owner a chuck of change and ......

It was a great thread for someone like me who's never been to the rodeo. It's as close as I'll ever get to a crossing. Many, many thanks Boatman.
How much change can a woodchuck chuck.....????
(couldn't help myself)

Pssshaw!!!! Neo... never say never man....

PS: re learning here.... I try to help a ton of people every day on CF with what to us is... "every day common knowledge" .... To them it's gold... And they fall all over themselves with gratitude....

BUT.....

I try and learn something every day.... and I usually do....
Food for thought....

Old 18-03-2014, 09:55   #1271

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Once again I realised how much the point of view depends on point of sitting

From the beginning I was somehow quite convinced Boatman had not weather forecasting available.
I was sitting at the computer, checking weather maps, making my own assesments.
SPOT was showing the Boatman analysis is quite close to mine.
It made me feel good of course
AND it make me think he has na access to weather info

Sitting at the screen i didn't think for a moment, that HE REALLY WAS THERE ! ! ! SITTING AT THE HELM AND AT THE NAV TABLE, LOOKING AT THE WAVE PATTERNS, AT THE WIND, CLOUDS AND BAROMETER AND ADJUSTING HIS DECISIONS TO REAL REALITY, NOT VIRTUAL ONE ! ! !

Yes, the point of view depends on point of sitting, heavily !!!

Silly me, really
Old 18-03-2014, 10:05   #1272
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

You're right, never say never.

And that is one thing about this thread that some people may be underestimating. The value of inspiration and attitude. As much as anything, I've learned by observing the thought processes that the members of this forum have gone through. The learning is not all about the nuts and bolts.

I have put a lot of perspiration into the systems on our boat and done a fair amount of coastal cruising over the past 5-6 years, but would never have considered a crossing. But looking at that "SPOT" inch across the Atlantic and "knowing" the guy doing the inching. It makes me think, yeah, maybe someday this could happen.

Ha! In fact, maybe boatman will take me on as crew in a couple of years to teach me the ropes.
Old 18-03-2014, 10:08   #1273
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
You're right, never say never.

And that is one thing about this thread that some people may be underestimating. The value of inspiration and attitude. As much as anything, I've learned by observing the thought processes that the members of this forum have gone through. The learning is not all about the nuts and bolts.

I have put a lot of perspiration into the systems on our boat and done a fair amount of coastal cruising over the past 5-6 years, but would never have considered a crossing. But looking at that "SPOT" inch across the Atlantic and "knowing" the guy doing the inching. It makes me think, yeah, maybe someday this could happen.

Ha! In fact, maybe boatman will take me on as crew in a couple of years to teach me the ropes.
THIS MADE ME SMILE

Old 18-03-2014, 11:09   #1274

Boat: Hunter 450

Where are the pictures of the crew?
Old 18-03-2014, 11:22   #1275
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Repeat: