Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 08:09   #1141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
He had electricity during the day from the solar panels.
fairly erratically as the batteries look like they are totally shot,and it was overcast most of the time.
but enough to run the autopilot for a few hours a day according to phil
Old 17-03-2014, 08:14   #1142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Hope it improved lately, but some 15 years ago the police there was sometime more Orwell - like than in Eastern Europe...
portugal and its islands have a rugged coastline,exposed to the atlantic,consequently ALL vessell movements require reporting and clearance from the marine police.
Old 17-03-2014, 08:35   #1143

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
did JP know about the message sent out ? He would for sure have had his radio on
I used this comment cuz I didn't want to go looking for your previous critical ones. Your criticism wasn't all far out of left field but then I checked your CF sign on date. What you don't realize is that many of us have "known" and followed Boaty's exploits for years. He's a friendly, funny guy and as you've read by now a couple of posters actually do know him personally.

You could be a longtime lurker but with so many posts in a couple of months max, I figure you to be just as gabby as many of us; possibly more so.

Just never hurts to be polite, Cap. Ya never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Old 17-03-2014, 08:59   #1144

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I used this comment cuz I didn't want to go looking for your previous critical ones. Your criticism wasn't all far out of left field but then I checked your CF sign on date. What you don't realize is that many of us have "known" and followed Boaty's exploits for years. He's a friendly, funny guy and as you've read by now a couple of posters actually do know him personally.

You could be a longtime lurker but with so many posts in a couple of months max, I figure you to be just as gabby as many of us; possibly more so.

Just never hurts to be polite, Cap. Ya never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Old 17-03-2014, 09:34   #1145

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Great that there has been a safe landfall to this segment of Boatie's 'adventure' (danged if we all haven't had a cruise turn out to be an 'adventure' at least once, eh?).

Now for a question about something 'in the picture' before: Y'all remember that three masted schooner that was in the early Horta harbor webcam images? It's been gone for a while now, anybody know anything about it, and where it might be bound now?
It looked big enought to be a maritime training vessel to me.

(and an old technophile like me is still impressed with our modern tech stuff, like streaming almost live images worldwide, which became generally possible back in the mid '90's; and I've been an 'inside the belly of the beast' tech guru since the '60's)
Old 17-03-2014, 09:49   #1146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Great that there has been a safe landfall to this segment of Boatie's 'adventure' (danged if we all haven't had a cruise turn out to be an 'adventure' at least once, eh?).

Now for a question about something 'in the picture' before: Y'all remember that three masted schooner that was in the early Horta harbor webcam images? It's been gone for a while now, anybody know anything about it, and where it might be bound now?
It looked big enought to be a maritime training vessel to me.

(and an old technophile like me is still impressed with our modern tech stuff, like streaming almost live images worldwide, which became generally possible back in the mid '90's; and I've been an 'inside the belly of the beast' tech guru since the '60's)
not sure about the schooner,will ask jp.

meanwhile will have to get phill to move the catamaran back about 30 ft,so we can see what they are cooking for dinner,and let him know how the repairs are going
Old 17-03-2014, 10:17   #1147

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not sure about the schooner,will ask jp.

meanwhile will have to get phill to move the catamaran back about 30 ft,so we can see what they are cooking for dinner,and let him know how the repairs are going
atoll,

You’re too funny. You must have read my mind. I was thinking the same thing. We need a better view of Boaty’s boat projects.

Maybe we can talk Horta Harbor into changing the camera lens to one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boaty.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	77722  
Old 17-03-2014, 10:42   #1148

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Oh, crap. We are all in big trouble now. Boaty just logged in.
Everyone run for cover.
We are all screwed when Boaty starts reading this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boaty 1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	77723  
Old 17-03-2014, 11:03   #1149

... would be interested to know what Boaty's strategy is to read this thread ;-)

Might take a while reading ...

Carsten
Old 17-03-2014, 11:06   #1150

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Time to chime in Boatman......if you could charge a fee, all this crowd would gladly pay up......you've been missed by all....

S/V Water Wings
Old 17-03-2014, 11:21   #1151

Boat: Catalina 30

I would say skip reading the thread and just jump in and tell his story. I'm sure he can fairly guess what we've been talking about over the last few weeks.

I.e. the dot moved, how's the weather where he is? oh look the dot moved some more, he went really far today, major thread drift, thread back on topic, oh the dot stopped moving, ok its still not moving, and atoll to the rescue.....although this was interesting for us to read over the past few weeks I'm sure he may get a little bored going through 1000 posts about a dot and the weather.
Old 17-03-2014, 11:44   #1152

I struggle with the notion of a sailboat which cannot raise the main sail without the engine running.

To me, that's not a sailboat. That's a motor boat with auxiliary sails.

But wait, it gets worse: the engine cannot be started without lots and lots of DC amps.

So it's not even strictly a motor boat: it's an electric boat with an auxiliary motor.

I guess that might be OK for crossing oceans, provided you had about three completely independent ways of providing lots and lots of DC amps.
Old 17-03-2014, 11:52   #1153

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I struggle with the notion of a sailboat which cannot raise the main sail without the engine running.

To me, that's not a sailboat. That's a motor boat with auxiliary sails.
Maybe I read it wrong but I believe that the sail jammed not that you need the engine to raise it. What I would say is at this point lets let Phil tell his story as he will be able to give a much better account at this point then all of our speculation.
Old 17-03-2014, 11:55   #1154

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
JP found him at 48 miles from horta,currently towing him in,the bugger has 2 female crew on board!

eta in horta about 11pm utc.

has a problem with the main and unable to raise it,or torn not sure.
only using half the genoa so probably torn as well

had a problem with the alternators on the engines,
batteries are shot,
generator stopped working about a week ago

was surprised to see JP(untill he mentioned me) but sounds like he is a happy man to be finally making port, he might even make it to cafe sport before closing time.

will phone phil later once they get in

Note that it said "problem with the main and unable to raise it, or torn..." Did a subsequent post state that he was unable to raise the main without engines? I may have missed it, but I thought the main was damaged in some manner.
Old 17-03-2014, 12:00   #1155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Maybe I read it wrong but I believe that the sail jammed not that you need the engine to raise it. What I would say is at this point lets let Phil tell his story as he will be able to give a much better account at this point then all of our speculation.
you are correct on both points,being unable to come up to windward the sail was jamming on the lazy jacks he explained to me last night,and i guess once phil has had his steak and chips he will be online in the next few hours,with lots of good things to say about boats .
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery