Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 09:09   #1141
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
He had electricity during the day from the solar panels.
fairly erratically as the batteries look like they are totally shot,and it was overcast most of the time.
but enough to run the autopilot for a few hours a day according to phil
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now  
Old 17-03-2014, 09:14   #1142
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Hope it improved lately, but some 15 years ago the police there was sometime more Orwell - like than in Eastern Europe...
portugal and its islands have a rugged coastline,exposed to the atlantic,consequently ALL vessell movements require reporting and clearance from the marine police.
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now  
Old 17-03-2014, 09:35   #1143
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
did JP know about the message sent out ? He would for sure have had his radio on
I used this comment cuz I didn't want to go looking for your previous critical ones. Your criticism wasn't all far out of left field but then I checked your CF sign on date. What you don't realize is that many of us have "known" and followed Boaty's exploits for years. He's a friendly, funny guy and as you've read by now a couple of posters actually do know him personally.

You could be a longtime lurker but with so many posts in a couple of months max, I figure you to be just as gabby as many of us; possibly more so.

Just never hurts to be polite, Cap. Ya never get a second chance to make a first impression.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 09:59   #1144
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sanibel, FL
Boat: currently a power boat :(
Posts: 251
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I used this comment cuz I didn't want to go looking for your previous critical ones. Your criticism wasn't all far out of left field but then I checked your CF sign on date. What you don't realize is that many of us have "known" and followed Boaty's exploits for years. He's a friendly, funny guy and as you've read by now a couple of posters actually do know him personally.

You could be a longtime lurker but with so many posts in a couple of months max, I figure you to be just as gabby as many of us; possibly more so.

Just never hurts to be polite, Cap. Ya never get a second chance to make a first impression.
__________________
Regards,
Skye
Blue Skye is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 10:34   #1145
Registered User
 
Tx J's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Texas
Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Posts: 363
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Great that there has been a safe landfall to this segment of Boatie's 'adventure' (danged if we all haven't had a cruise turn out to be an 'adventure' at least once, eh?).

Now for a question about something 'in the picture' before: Y'all remember that three masted schooner that was in the early Horta harbor webcam images? It's been gone for a while now, anybody know anything about it, and where it might be bound now?
It looked big enought to be a maritime training vessel to me.

(and an old technophile like me is still impressed with our modern tech stuff, like streaming almost live images worldwide, which became generally possible back in the mid '90's; and I've been an 'inside the belly of the beast' tech guru since the '60's)
__________________
Tx J is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 10:49   #1146
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Great that there has been a safe landfall to this segment of Boatie's 'adventure' (danged if we all haven't had a cruise turn out to be an 'adventure' at least once, eh?).

Now for a question about something 'in the picture' before: Y'all remember that three masted schooner that was in the early Horta harbor webcam images? It's been gone for a while now, anybody know anything about it, and where it might be bound now?
It looked big enought to be a maritime training vessel to me.

(and an old technophile like me is still impressed with our modern tech stuff, like streaming almost live images worldwide, which became generally possible back in the mid '90's; and I've been an 'inside the belly of the beast' tech guru since the '60's)
not sure about the schooner,will ask jp.

meanwhile will have to get phill to move the catamaran back about 30 ft,so we can see what they are cooking for dinner,and let him know how the repairs are going
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now  
Old 17-03-2014, 11:17   #1147
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not sure about the schooner,will ask jp.

meanwhile will have to get phill to move the catamaran back about 30 ft,so we can see what they are cooking for dinner,and let him know how the repairs are going
atoll,

You’re too funny. You must have read my mind. I was thinking the same thing. We need a better view of Boaty’s boat projects.

Maybe we can talk Horta Harbor into changing the camera lens to one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boaty.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	77722  
__________________
Cotemar is online now  
Old 17-03-2014, 11:42   #1148
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Oh, crap. We are all in big trouble now. Boaty just logged in.
Everyone run for cover.
We are all screwed when Boaty starts reading this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boaty 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	77723  
__________________
Cotemar is online now  
Old 17-03-2014, 12:03   #1149
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Laboe - Germany
Posts: 443
Re: Atlantic Delivery

... would be interested to know what Boaty's strategy is to read this thread ;-)

Might take a while reading ...

Carsten
__________________
CarstenWL is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 12:06   #1150
Senior Cruiser
 
fjwiley1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Posts: 463
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Time to chime in Boatman......if you could charge a fee, all this crowd would gladly pay up......you've been missed by all....
__________________
enjoy the winds for they are free

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 12:21   #1151
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Atlantic Delivery

I would say skip reading the thread and just jump in and tell his story. I'm sure he can fairly guess what we've been talking about over the last few weeks.

I.e. the dot moved, how's the weather where he is? oh look the dot moved some more, he went really far today, major thread drift, thread back on topic, oh the dot stopped moving, ok its still not moving, and atoll to the rescue.....although this was interesting for us to read over the past few weeks I'm sure he may get a little bored going through 1000 posts about a dot and the weather.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 12:44   #1152
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,441
Re: Atlantic Delivery

I struggle with the notion of a sailboat which cannot raise the main sail without the engine running.

To me, that's not a sailboat. That's a motor boat with auxiliary sails.


But wait, it gets worse: the engine cannot be started without lots and lots of DC amps.

So it's not even strictly a motor boat: it's an electric boat with an auxiliary motor.

I guess that might be OK for crossing oceans, provided you had about three completely independent ways of providing lots and lots of DC amps.
__________________
Andrew Troup is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 12:52   #1153
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I struggle with the notion of a sailboat which cannot raise the main sail without the engine running.

To me, that's not a sailboat. That's a motor boat with auxiliary sails.
Maybe I read it wrong but I believe that the sail jammed not that you need the engine to raise it. What I would say is at this point lets let Phil tell his story as he will be able to give a much better account at this point then all of our speculation.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 12:55   #1154
Registered User
 
Flamingo1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Boat: Macgregor 21
Posts: 54
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
JP found him at 48 miles from horta,currently towing him in,the bugger has 2 female crew on board!

eta in horta about 11pm utc.

has a problem with the main and unable to raise it,or torn not sure.
only using half the genoa so probably torn as well

had a problem with the alternators on the engines,
batteries are shot,
generator stopped working about a week ago

was surprised to see JP(untill he mentioned me) but sounds like he is a happy man to be finally making port, he might even make it to cafe sport before closing time.

will phone phil later once they get in

Note that it said "problem with the main and unable to raise it, or torn..." Did a subsequent post state that he was unable to raise the main without engines? I may have missed it, but I thought the main was damaged in some manner.
__________________
Flamingo1 is offline  
Old 17-03-2014, 13:00   #1155
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Maybe I read it wrong but I believe that the sail jammed not that you need the engine to raise it. What I would say is at this point lets let Phil tell his story as he will be able to give a much better account at this point then all of our speculation.
you are correct on both points,being unable to come up to windward the sail was jamming on the lazy jacks he explained to me last night,and i guess once phil has had his steak and chips he will be online in the next few hours,with lots of good things to say about boats .
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Buddy Boat - Block Island to Norfolk or Atlantic City Weehappy Atlantic & the Caribbean 16 10-10-2016 18:07
Atlantic 48 vs Switch 51 Catastroff Multihull Sailboats 33 25-04-2013 13:38
For Sale: Atlantic 44 in Greece ionionsails Classifieds Archive 0 11-02-2013 14:15
Quick Release Dinghy for MOB shorebird General Sailing Forum 13 26-01-2012 08:00
Crew Wanted: Delivery Required - Phuket to Brisbane Donkey Crew Archives 4 25-11-2011 20:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.