Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 08:24   #946
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts on JP! That cat is hurt.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The cat is rigged with a Cunningham.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:27   #947

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I certainly hope not. Perhaps a little reminder of the Alpha 42 is in order. Stuff breaks, not just for the owner. Boatman has done a fine job getting the boat in a position where assistance is reasonable. He didnt hitch a ride leaving the boat to float as it wished. I hope the owner counts his blessings.

I feel like he will just by his reactions to the situation so far. He sent costly assistance earlier than he really needed to, even after atoll told him boaty could get it much closer with an extra day. That sounds like an owner who wants his boat AND crew in safely.
Agreed. Re-reading the owner's posts, I have the feeling he is an inexperienced sailor judging by the questions asked. However, in one post, he says he'd have sailed the boat himself but some family situation was in the way.

Un-huh.

Yepper.

Me too.

You guys want to bet on something: A case o brew says he's real happy Boaty's doing the adventuring along about now.

Too bad we can't ask NSA to zoom in from on high. They could probably tell us if Boaty has any smokes left. We all know he's outta beer.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:36   #948
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Happy, I like your style.

I think your positive attitude will serve you well during your crossing, especially when everything breaks.
Thanks Neo...
You're on my "routinely quote +1 to his posts" guys! (ie we agree a lot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Time will tell won't it? When everyone gets to know the full story and precise details of the condition of the boat I'm sure that there will be some valuable lessons in there for everyone.

It will also be interesting to hear if Boatie, with the benefit of hindsight, would do anything differently if he was now restarting the delivery.
Isn't this the greatest thing though?

I replied to a newb recently to his statement "I hope one day to be master mariners like you guys". My reply was "We are all still learning... no matter the years or miles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
This thread has been interesting to read. It will be good to hear from boaty when he finally gets to land an checks in here.

I am very unimpressed by Spot. The web tracking site is terrible It might be good for the safety aspects that it offers, but the way you don't get any course and speed information and that you see only the last 50 positions and not the whole journey is bad.

For family, friends and forum stalkers watching from the comfort of home, the yellowbrick tracker is much better and as it is iridium, the coverage is global.
Yea... Spot blows in many regards when it could be great... I still have one though... I think yellowbrick is SERIOUSLY LACKING in marketing and product exposure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
My prediction:

Boaty will refuse the tow.
The wind will pick up.
JP and Boaty will have a race to port!!!!

Any bets on winner?

This is the most likely scenario...

Phil will insist for a fair fight that JP:
Deploy the mainsail cover...
Battery switch to all off...
Lock on the beer cooler...

Game on...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 16-03-2014, 08:36   #949

Boat: Tayana 47

I don't understand the rational behind so many of you thinking it's some kind of shadow on his manhood or ability as a sailor if he accepts a tow because it's not, even a little bit. I'd be amazed if Boaty was so insecure that he felt that way or was afraid of what someone might think if he accepted a tow, especially since he has a disabled boat on his hands and hasn't made much progress towards his destination in a week. Something serious is obviously wrong with the boat and the owner has paid for and sent someone out to tow you in, and at that point, if you want to keep the job or get hired for future deliveries, you have very little choice in the matter. If I had half a million tied up in a boat and had hired a tow and the guy I had hired to deliver it refused to take advantage of every tool now available to him, especially with gale force winds headed his way, he'd very quickly be the EX-delivery skipper and I'd hire a rational, competent skipper to take his place. With bad weather headed his way, and currents around his destination that equal or exceed the speed that his boat will make, it's a no brainer and to refuse it would be to put the boat at unnecessary additional risk. That's NOT what he's being paid to do. Boaty, and every other skipper, needs to permanently have what is best for his vessel and his crew at the very top of his priority list, and what might be best for his ego, much further down that list of priorities. As a seasoned delivery skipper, I'm betting that Boaty instinctively understands this but I'm surprised that so many posters on here don't seem to get it. There's NO shame in accepting a tow in a situation like this, especially when the boats owner has already authorized and paid for it. If Boaty owned the boat, then it would be his decision and I'd completely respect his right to remain at sea and do everything his own way no matter what the dangers might be, but it's not his boat and he's obligated to use every tool available to complete the mission successfully. The owner (with Atoll's assistance) has just given him another tool to help him do his job.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:37   #950
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
My prediction:

Boaty will refuse the tow.
The wind will pick up.
JP and Boaty will have a race to port!!!!

Any bets on winner?

they should just about be at the point of estimated convergence now.

i asked JP to take some fuel in cans,incase a tow was unnessacary,and only fuel needed,
so you might be right salty,either way i hope they can find him before dark,which might be tough as boatys course and speed is quite erratic!

unfortunately JP was unable to validate the sat phone,so i will not be able to update phils position untill JP returns to cell phone range,about 25 miles in his area.

i did however ask him to get phil to leave the spot on tranmit once they make contact.........

otherwise weather is fine,light south wind with good vis till about 1930 utc or another 4 hours from now.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:39   #951

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Boaty will take the tow. He is bored shitless by now.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:39   #952
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
The owner (with Atoll's assistance) has just given him another tool to help him do his job.
BINGO

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 16-03-2014, 08:46   #953
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Well he's almost in radar limit if they have that aboard. Search pattern?

Hopefully they can jump start that ngin. That would be a nice compromise.

I hope the owner isn't flaky and will continue to trust him on this delivery. It would be extremely unfair and it would be bad to piss off a monkey. He came 999,999 miles with say 30 to go. Credit due. Lets not forget.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:54   #954
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I hope the owner isn't flaky and will continue to trust him on this delivery. It would be extremely unfair and it would be bad to piss off a monkey. He came 999,999 miles with say 30 to go. Credit due. Lets not forget.
yes he has radar,and a couple of crew,who are no doubt skinning the horizon at this moment.

visibility coudnt be better with the azores high located over the island group.

full moon tonight as well.

fingers crossed,we will see the spot start trans mitting soon.
Old 16-03-2014, 09:14   #955

Quote:

Right Salty, here is a quote from Boatman. "I think I'd have done what I could till the last minute after putting a call out to the CG stating the situation and asking them to stand by in case of her breaking up and sinking.. progress report times (4hrs) would be set up along with position updates as we went" he is not there yet !!! He may be moving slow, but he is moving and he is not sending distress signals with position updates every 4 hours is he ? IMO, based on only facts thus far, it was unnecessary contacting the owner to say "based on his speed, we need to interact". I remember reading a post from Boatman not to long ago, he was telling us about a crossing he did. He stated he had spent 5 or so days sitting on the bow of his boat baking in the sun with Zero wind, hadn't moved a foot ! He is now 50 ish mile from land and we have convinced the owner to send a possy out to rescue him. With 450 liters of fuel and food for 4, for a week lol. OH THE DRAMA
Old 16-03-2014, 09:21   #956

Boat: Catalina 470

Robert,
I may be incorrect in my assumption here, but I understood the many folks who posted that they've learned a lot here in this thread were referring to:
a) the way weather systems play such an important role in ocean sailing, particularly on NON-tradewind routes, such as an eastbound passage across the N. Atlantic...(especially on "off-season" passages)...
b) the ways offshore weather info/forecasts are disseminated and used by sailors offshore/at sea...(many find synoptic charts much better than the raw computer model data from Grib's)
c) how to better use the weather info/forecasts, such as synoptic charts, etc. (using upper air charts to better understand the weather patterns and longer term forecasts, etc..)
d) The vagaries of ocean sailing...(especially off-season)
e) The ways that constant 24/7 use of systems, for weeks straight, for 1000's of miles continuously, can take their toll on them, and how this would probably never occur in 20 years of coastal sailing...(whether rigging, sails, mechanics, electrical, steering, fuel systems, etc....they are all seriously put to test on a long ocean passage...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I have read so many accounts of how people have learned so much from this thread. It has been interesting to be sure, almost like a live reality show in some ways but in the end its all speculation, no one knows for sure exactly what is happening.
I never interpreted anyone here as saying that they "learned a lot" from watching a reality show experience, discussing sailor's pride, when/if to offer assistance, nor looking at the Spot website, etc...

Again, maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions....but in my postings I've been clear in the details of the weather info / forecasts and my choice/prediction of route (which was accurate and I based it on the US NWS/NOAA Ocean Prediction Center's synoptic charts, surface charts, wind/wave forecasts, and 500mb upper air charts...)
And, with some others following along and adding their thoughts/predictions, I assumed that this is primarily what had given such new insight for those reading this thread...

And, while I briefly added in my personal thoughts about "not being to proud to crawl", etc...the ancillary comments on sailors pride, etc. are, in my opinion, not what most here are learning from...

Fair winds to 'ya Phil!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 16-03-2014, 09:27   #957

Boat: Skookum 53'

Atoll, thanks for all the good, relevant information, and taking the initiative to help boatman out. You are one of the good ones.
Old 16-03-2014, 11:03   #958
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FOUND THEM ,ALL WELL ONBOARD!
Old 16-03-2014, 11:05   #959

wow, that didnt take long. what else did you hear ?
Old 16-03-2014, 11:08   #960

Boat: Union 36

Awesome!
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery