Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 03:40   #781
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
He has a working spot that can send messages . Yes?
Only if he took the time to prepare jis messages and 4 different email distribution lists and phone contacts... It has been confirmed that he did not... Below is 2 pages earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Oh...

And if he took the time to set up his Spot with email addresses....

All he would have to do is push button 1 to send his prepared message #1 to the recipient list: "This is boaty checking in... all is fine, we are on a reasonable predicted schedule, and we have plenty of beer left"

Button 2 does the same thing, but sends message #2 to the recipient list:
"This is boaty checking in... all is fine with the boat and our passage, but the trip has gone to ***** because we RAN OUT of beer"

Button 3 (help/assist) does the same thing, but sends message #3 to the recipient list:"This is boaty and we are experiencing difficulties beyond our control that makes our passage unsafe. Please notify authorities of our position"

Button 4 SOS is the biggie: The Spot rescue coordination team gets in touch with the local athorities to begin a "rescue operation"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Since no one else has mentioned it, consider this aspect of the situation: the boat's been unable to make progress. Rescue for the next three days: ideal conditions for a tow. Assistance during a gale would be more difficult, more risky.

Maybe they would rather not be rescued: there was no mayday, no pan pan.

But what a shame it would be if the owner lost his vessel, or if someone were injured. Right now they're okay. If the cause of their inability to sail well in the good winds is something they have not or can not fix, the risk factor goes way up.

Now, if I were owner of Bonne Etoile, I'd be so glad that Atoll had clued me in to what was happening: I'd want to protect my investment. I'd want to reward Atoll.

Maybe this "In Reach" gizmo is one of these deals of modern life running into old prejudices of the "Please, Mother, I'd rather do it myself!" variety. With total battery failure, one's normal means of communication would be unavailable.

I expect they have an EPIRB, though, for a "mayday."

Ann
Ann,

I could not have said this better myself... The weather for the next week has been predicted to be:

1. Worthless for for forward progress under current equipment configuration
2. Absolutely ideal to effect a tow
3. One week from now predicted to be absolutely nasty for a vessel under GOOD REPAIR

This is a no brainer for anybody but the insanely cocky and stubborn... Phil possesses the exact opposite qualities

Atoll has only put the owner in touch with a local person willing and capable to effect a tow... It IS the owner's decision....

We should all be so lucky to have a friend like this (Atoll) who has the knowledge, contacts, and compassion that he feels compelled to offer...

Humbled I would be.... Phil will be too...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 15-03-2014, 03:46   #782
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'm surprised gobsmacked the owner was unaware. Great job Atoll!
What are we now???? Lime(y) Crab???

Old 15-03-2014, 04:00   #783

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

Nice work Atoll!

That was the right thing to do, and I hope whoever disagrees never has to be on the other side.

Regarding SPOT, depending on the version, you can (and we do) send custom text messages. It can require some tedious/tricky Bluetooth pairing & config. Since Boatie seems more of a sailor than a techno-geek & he just got the device the day before he left, it's not surprising he is not using that feature. Apparently he has the v3, which has pre-defined custom messages I think. He probably didn't have time to configure those before he left.

Although he's not hitting the OK button, he is in Tracking mode and hasn't hit the SOS button, which is good. Hopefully they have a functional EPIRB too.

We recently had an 'all dead' battery situation. No sat phone, SSB, etc. Only thing working was SPOT and handheld VHF.

SPOT does chew thru the batteries and I'm a little surprised that if the house batteries are shot that SPOT is still going. Maybe he has a bunch of AA batteries.
Old 15-03-2014, 04:01   #784

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Atoll +10 Times a wastein, even Boatie can't sail with no wind, and we know he has major engine-electrial, and posible rigging or sail problems! If it were I, I would love a little help about now !!Well called !

I'm with bobconnie on this -- a very good call Atoll!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 15-03-2014, 04:03   #785

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Stay safe Boaty.

The locals gave us an icon of St Nicholas (patron saint of sailors) to keep us safe. So here is my cyber version for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	77611  
Old 15-03-2014, 04:07   #786

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Atlantic Delivery

There is no doubt that everyone on this thread looks forward to Boaties safe arrival in Horta. With the looming forecast of gales on Friday Atoll's contact with the owner to advise him of the situation and provide details of a contact to tow him in sounds like a good call.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out in the end and hopefully Boatie will appreciate the outside assistance and that his relationship with the owner to complete the passage will not be adversely affected.

Some things surprise me somewhat :-

- The owner was apparently not aware of this thread so I assume that he was only following the Spot track and would have been wondering and also very rightfully concerned why very little progress was being made.

- As a professional delivery skipper and one who is as highly experienced as Boatie is I would have thought that he would make better use of available technology these days and any associated costs would be part of his delivery fees. I would have thought that a Satphone with the ability to obtain weather forecasts via Axcesspoint connected to a laptop would be part of his standard kit. This would also allow him to keep in contact with owners via email or SMS as well as the ability to call safety authorities if the need arose.

- Why only buy the Spot the day before departure and not fully set it up so that it could be used during the passage to its full capability. Maybe this was a last minute request of the owner to enable him to keep track of the passage?

- I assume, maybe incorrectly that the vessel does not have HF radio. So if there was only VHF and no Satphone how would he put out a call for help if he could not raise another vessel and I am not talking about a situation where the EPIRB would be activated.

Yes, I am aware that the vessel does not have power so charging any of the above would probably be impossible at this stage but they would certainly have been very beneficial especially in providing updates to the owners up until power was totally lost.
Old 15-03-2014, 04:26   #787
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thanks for the vote of confidence!

latest position.

Latitude :38.1869Longitude :-30.37506Time :15 March 2014 11:03:06

he managed to sail 16 m in the last,14 hours,but unfortunately made very little distance towards horta with the light easterly winds,currently 89 miles from horta.

forcast is for more of the same,or even less wind......ie millpond out there.
Old 15-03-2014, 04:35   #788

Great work Atoll!

Does one know if he has a (working) EPIRB on the boat?
Not that he has a reason to use it if the cat is still afloat but ...

Regards,

Carsten
Old 15-03-2014, 04:37   #789
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence!..
It's a no brainer... good call

I see winds at 8 knots from the ESE. He changed course to go north so he could tack into Horta. How long would that take???

SailFlow - Search Results

As everyone has already said, no electrical has nothing to do with 1 knot boat speed. There's more to this than electrical failure / no fuel, and if I were him, I'd be hoping someone would be checking my "spot" and realize something is amiss.

You certainly did the right thing and now it's the owner's call.
Old 15-03-2014, 04:40   #790
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
- Why only buy the Spot the day before departure and not fully set it up so that it could be used during the passage to its full capability. Maybe this was a last minute request of the owner to enable him to keep track of the passage?
I think this is the case... He was asking about... right before the delivery was accepted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence!

latest position.

Latitude :38.1869Longitude :-30.37506Time :15 March 2014 11:03:06

he managed to sail 16 m in the last,14 hours,but unfortunately made very little distance towards horta with the light easterly winds,currently 89 miles from horta.

forcast is for more of the same,or even less wind......ie millpond out there.
I think the poll is currently...
All ++++
With one exception...

Old 15-03-2014, 04:51   #791
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Stay safe Boaty.

The locals gave us an icon of St Nicholas (patron saint of sailors) to keep us safe. So here is my cyber version for you.
Nice gesture noelex!

I was brought up to carry one of these in my car... Wondering why it never crossed over into my boats???
Attached Images

Old 15-03-2014, 05:29   #792

St. Christopher metals...Sailors and their superstitions! One would have thought in this day and age they would be behind us.

I can understand Anne, she's been sailing for a long time and self sufficiently was a big deal back then. You didn't have this modern sense of safety or the concept that someone would be out looking if you screwed up, you were on your own period.

I also understand what Atol is organizing and because I do not have a clue what is happening with Boaty (nor does anyone else here) I really don't have a comment other than an 80 mile tow is gotta be real expensive unless someone is doing it strictly as a favor. Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
Old 15-03-2014, 05:36   #793

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Atol,

You are a 10+, if and when I finally start doing longer voyages I hope you are there to help me as you have tried to assist Boaty.

I am sure Boaty would and will thank you especially when he sees the forecast for next weeks weather.

I hope the tow boat brings lots of cold beer and fresh food to revive the crew...LOL, mostly beer...
Old 15-03-2014, 05:56   #794
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
St. Christopher metals...Sailors and their superstitions! One would have thought in this day and age they would be behind us.

I can understand Anne, she's been sailing for a long time and self sufficiently was a big deal back then. You didn't have this modern sense of safety or the concept that someone would be out looking if you screwed up, you were on your own period.

I also understand what Atol is organizing and because I do not have a clue what is happening with Boaty (nor does anyone else here) I really don't have a comment other than an 80 mile tow is gotta be real expensive unless someone is doing it strictly as a favor. Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
Pshaw!!!

I'll bet you boaty's crewmate had a banana on the boat missed by the presail inspection !!!

Old 15-03-2014, 06:01   #795

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Here's what I've found helpful:

On the question of whether Boaty had weather data, even if he did, he wouldn't have it now. I am willing to say he can tell wot's wot today, but how could he know about a nasty gale a few days out? I'd think he is just hoping to get the boat to a repair facility (cat house?) asap without further expense to the owner; particularly an open ocean tow charge.

However, if the scenario were dangerous, say a patch on a holed area as was suggested, surely he would have asked for help rather than risk the boat and lives. Nah, he's just trying to stay the course. Brit sailors wrote the book on tough. I try to humour them when I can.
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery