Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 19:02   #481
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Very funny Gadagirl!
Old 05-03-2014, 19:22   #482

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Well since we're waiting for his next heading, and speculations from us spectators, and it has been a slow day on the thread.............
Old 05-03-2014, 19:38   #483
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
They had to show me.
If you can get here then you can get there -> SPOT Shared Page
I'm in China for another few weeks, and I guess the central government thinks that boatman is a subversive. They are blocking his spot page. In fact, I googled the word subversive to check the spelling and that was blocked too.
Old 05-03-2014, 19:55   #484
cruiser

Hurry back Neo!
Old 05-03-2014, 19:55   #485
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Well since we're waiting for his next heading, and speculations from us spectators, and it has been a slow day on the thread.............
Gave me a smile too. I have to send that youtube to a friend
Old 05-03-2014, 20:34   #486
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

I can't look at funny youtube videos either. But the people are wonderful and the food is great here in sunny Hainan.
Old 05-03-2014, 21:05   #487

re inter-continental thread drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I thought it was strictly bi-coastal
Pent-up-coastal?
Old 05-03-2014, 21:14   #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Gosh, Gadagirl, I wish I'd remembered that perky wee, infinitely and craftily recursive, but strangely compelling Muzakal loop, the time I played the organ when my Mum remarried.

She was somewhat more than fashionably late, and I'd pretty much exhausted everything Bach ever wrote (OK, I exaggerate, but my fingerprints were pretty much history) by the time she swanned in unexpectedly, and swept down the aisle looking infuriatingly unabashed.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:37   #489

Actually, Gada, your posting name reminds me of another tune which I could have bent to my purpose.

I'm thinking of the pipe-organ arrangement of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by the famous transcriber Bart Simpson.

I seem to remember it was at least as interminable as the original (and just about as gr8)

ON EDIT
Here ya go (stills only, for copyright reasons)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29   #490

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I'm in China for another few weeks, and I guess the central government thinks that boatman is a subversive. They are blocking his spot page. In fact, I googled the word subversive to check the spelling and that was blocked too.
Is there really a General Tso? Or is it like "Col" Sanders?

How many CFers listened to the intermission to the end? You know I did. I may have thrown in a move or two as I skipped over to the Thermos for a coffee refill.

As so often the case, Gadagirl, your posts are so perfectly pertinent. A Tip O the Tilley to your wonderful sense of humor.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43   #491

Boat: Catalina 470

It is Thursday, 6 March 2014....and Phil's position as of a few hours ago was 31* 17' N x 39* 52' W
And, he's been heading ENE'erly for days now...although a tiny bit more NE'erly in the past 24hours...

And, just a cursory look at the weather charts this morning, shows weather looking good for him, for the next couple days...as a couple Highs build in to his NW and SW (and a ridge may form), he should still have good winds thru Saturday...
And, he'll probably continue on the same / similar course...

Sun/Mon is a bit complicated (depending on exactly where he is by then), he could have some northerly winds or he could have head winds...
The further he can get by Sunday the more likely he'll have favorable winds...(but he doesn't want to fly too fast, as there is a Low predicted to be quite strong near 35*N/20*W, with some 40kts NNW and 16'-20' seas predicted near 35*N/23*W on Sunday, and he wouldn't want to be close to that..)
So, here again it's needle threading time!!

Maybe he'll get near 33*-34*N by 30*W, by Sunday...and he'd certainly try to be east of 29*W by Monday.....let's look again tomorrow to see exact how the weather looks for Monday...

I hope this helps those of you who don't have access to "subversive" sites like the US NWS/NOAA...

Fair winds, Phil!

John
s/v Annie Laurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Ann,
He's actually he's in a pretty good place today...
Quote:
My baro's dropped 7 mb since this a.m. Wonder what Boatie's is doing?
He should be seeing 1018mb to 1020mb....as he is still just south of 30* and staying east of the front...(as of 8 hours ago)

Which is just where I predicted (4 - 5 days ago) he'd be by Monday and Tuesday...

Dave, I'm not using Grib's...as I use the NWS/NOAA synoptic charts...
And, Phil has been taking the exact same route that I would (using these synoptic wefax charts), and I suspect that is what he's been using.???
Quote:
looking at the GRIBs, Id say he risking getting headed later in the week. Id be surprised if he can keep that course
He appears to be threading the needle between the current High to his starboard bow, and the advancing front to his port side...(just as I've been predicting..)

Looking into the future, he'll probably get above 30*N - 31*N, possibly to 32*N by Thursday as he gets east of 40*W (certainly by 38* W) ....and this should keep him in SW'erlies (or close to it) for the next 2 days...

And further out, the High building just west of the Azores later in the week will cause some issues...but..
But, he may have N'erly winds by Sat AM...(north of 30*N, around 30* W +/-)...so, if he heads NE'erly this week, and gets some northing in before the end of the week AND can still stay east of the front, he may find himself on the opposite tack by the weekend, but still making good progress toward Gib....
(again 4 - 5 days out, it's a crap-shoot...but a possibility to shoot for!!)

Forecasts looking out 4 - 5 days aren't 100%...
And, this time of year....yep, it's tricky!!
(This time of year in the N. Atlantic, making plans 48 hours out is good....72 hours is okay....but 4 - 5 days can be a crap-shoot...)

But, so far so good...

Now, if I can blow my own horn a bit....except for Phil needing to stay further south (due to more "active" weather above 30*) than I would've guessed a few weeks ago, he's been progressing along the route that I predicted...

Fair winds Phil!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 06-03-2014, 08:52   #492

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Well............hummm.............they got the subversive part right.

Good old China. Just love em' don't we?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09   #493
cruiser

Yeha. Boaty will do just fine. I predict he'll skim that bad stuff.

Will he keep going or will he stop to take a pee @ Madeira?

any bets?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15   #494

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Aside from the fact that this thread is excellent advertising for Boatman's services, I hope he does not end up mortified by all this attention. Any body here care to give an informed multi hull opinion on how this particular Lagoon is faring? What would likely be Boatman's current equipment travails?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:25   #495

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Looks as Phil was headed at least, as he is going NEN now.
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery