He's actually he's in a pretty good place today...
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate
My baro's dropped 7 mb since this a.m. Wonder what Boatie's is doing?
He should be seeing 1018mb to 1020mb....as he is still just south of 30* and staying east of the front...(as of 8 hours ago)
Which is just where I predicted (4 - 5 days ago) he'd be by Monday and Tuesday...
Dave, I'm not using Grib's...as I use the NWS/NOAA synoptic charts
And, Phil has been taking the exact same route
that I would (using these synoptic wefax charts), and I suspect that is what he's been using.???
Originally Posted by goboatingnow
looking at the GRIBs, Id say he risking getting headed later in the week. Id be surprised if he can keep that course
He appears to be threading the needle between the current
High to his starboard bow, and the advancing front to his port side...(just as I've been predicting..)
Looking into the future, he'll probably get above 30*N - 31*N, possibly to 32*N by Thursday as he gets east of 40*W (certainly by 38* W) ....and this should keep him in SW'erlies (or close to it) for the next 2 days...
And further out, the High building just west of the Azores
later in the week will cause some issues...but..
But, he may
have N'erly winds by Sat AM...(north of 30*N, around 30* W +/-)...so, if he heads NE'erly this week, and gets some northing in before the end of the week AND can still stay east of the front, he may find himself on the opposite tack by the weekend, but still making good progress toward Gib....
(again 4 - 5 days out, it's a crap-shoot...but a possibility to shoot for!!)
Forecasts looking out 4 - 5 days aren't 100%...
And, this time of year....yep, it's tricky!!
(This time of year in the N. Atlantic, making plans 48 hours out is good....72 hours is okay
....but 4 - 5 days can be a crap-shoot...)
But, so far so good...
Now, 5+ days from now, Sunday, etc. near 25*W, etc it gets trickier....
But, by Friday, we'll have a better idea...
Now, if I can blow my own horn a bit....except for Phil needing to stay further south (due to more "active" weather
above 30*) than I would've guessed a few weeks ago, he's been progressing along the route
that I predicted...
Fair winds Phil!!
s/v Annie Laurie