Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29   #601

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...I always considered squalls & gusts "everyday" occurences during our cruises...but again, this was anecdotal evidence & what do I know...
& "monos sunk by squalls"? this is exceedingly rare, I'd say!
It's exceedingly rare with cats, too.

You shouldn't equate "everyday occurrence" squalls and gust, with flipped catamarans. "Everyday" squalls and gusts normally don't flip catamarans.

That being said, however, this and another event involving an A57 put me off that particular boat, which I was seriously considering for my next boat. I think the rig is a little oversized for all-weather cruising, especially in the higher latitudes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03   #602
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Dockhead, thanks for the rational response to a typical effort by some members on CF to turn an issue for one brand of high performance cruising cat into an indictment of all catamarans. As i recall, several years ago one popular brand of monohull (Hunter?) had a number of instances of rudder stocks breaking offshore in boisterous conditions. A similar ‘analysis’ could have been used by someone with an anti-monohull bias to suggest that because monohulls in general are at significant risk of losing a rudder, they are inherently unsafe in comparison to catamarans with their redundant rudders.

At first I wonderd why this year old thread had been reactivated when there was no new, or additional information on the subject; then I realized that there had not been many new threads that permitted cat-bashing. The games continue.....
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:18   #603
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Dockhead, thanks for the rational response to a typical effort by some members on CF to turn an issue for one brand of high performance cruising cat into an indictment of all catamarans. As i recall, several years ago one popular brand of monohull (Hunter?) had a number of instances of rudder stocks breaking offshore in boisterous conditions. A similar ‘analysis’ could have been used by someone with an anti-monohull bias to suggest that because monohulls in general are at significant risk of losing a rudder, they are inherently unsafe in comparison to catamarans with their redundant rudders.

At first I wonderd why this year old thread had been reactivated when there was no new, or additional information on the subject; then I realized that there had not been many new threads that permitted cat-bashing. The games continue.....

Funny you bring up the rudders as I was just thinking about the many production monos that have been losing their keels lately. I wonder if it would be good practice in those monos to have a man on watch 24 hrs. a day with wrench in hand standing over the keel bolts. This is of course in humor.......[emoji16]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:21   #604
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's exceedingly rare with cats, too.

You shouldn't equate "everyday occurrence" squalls and gust, with flipped catamarans. "Everyday" squalls and gusts normally don't flip catamarans.

That being said, however, this and another event involving an A57 put me off that particular boat, which I was seriously considering for my next boat. I think the rig is a little oversized for all-weather cruising, especially in the higher latitudes.

If it's the cat you really like why couldn't you sail with a full time reef in the main and working jib? Or possibly cut the mast and sails down to gain extra stability?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...I always considered squalls & gusts "everyday" occurences during our cruises...but again, this was anecdotal evidence & what do I know...
& "monos sunk by squalls"? this is exceedingly rare, I'd say!

An equally everyday occurrence would be the keel falling off a monohull.

What would be the consequences of this happening to a catamaran?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 13:21   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If it's the cat you really like why couldn't you sail with a full time reef in the main and working jib? ?

Maybe not after reading this from last months Cruising World....

https://www.cruisingworld.com/microburst-mayhem

"A cruising catamaran capsized at anchor, trapping an unfortunate woman inside."
Old 04-12-2017, 13:34   #607
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post

"A cruising catamaran capsized at anchor, trapping an unfortunate woman inside."

Sounds like all the boats had problems. No doubt Slug, if you want to buy a boat and go sailing you have to put your big boy panties on. The world can be a dangerous place!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-12-2017, 13:57   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sounds like all the boats had problems. No doubt Slug, if you want to buy a boat and go sailing you have to put your big boy panties on. The world can be a dangerous place!

Hey SMJ whats with the personal attacks.

IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE NEWS NO POINT SHOOTING THE MESSENGER.

Why the interest in my choice of panties?

Have you considered posting some of the PROBLEMS with this boat (which you appear so certain about) that we can learn from or is my choice of underwear more important to you?
Old 04-12-2017, 14:12   #609
smj

Quote:
Hey SMJ whats with the personal attacks.

IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE NEWS NO POINT SHOOTING THE MESSENGER.

Why the interest in my choice of panties?

Have you considered posting some of the PROBLEMS with this boat (which you appear so certain about) that we can learn from or is my choice of underwear more important to you?

Come on Slugger, have a sense of humor! All you post is doom and gloom about catamarans, yet have no firsthand experience?

Old 04-12-2017, 14:15   #610

Quote:

The woman was unharmed. However a sailor died after falling from his boat, which obviously wasn't a catamaran since it didn't capsize.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 15:54   #611

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Talk about cherry picking from an article!

Funny you didn't also mention:

more than 30 boats laid up ashore were bowled over, while those afloat almost all dragged or broke free from their moorings
Tragically, a French sailor fell from his boat and drowned.
American couple who were about to sail their sturdy Westsail to Corfu for repairs. They had been laid flat by the wind and held there for some minutes while water poured in through ports and hatches. There was little structural damage, but their electrical system and instruments had been destroyed.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 15:58   #612

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Hmm... I wonder if it was old news from the storm that hit in September 2011, or another more recent microburst with the same results.

Its a landlocked bay that looks really secure, but we missed a similar storm by two days in 2006.

Just keep in mind that the cat capsized under bare poles--pretty sporty conditions, but it happens.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 21:22   #613

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

I spent decades driving Porsche 911's, and driving them hard. My favorites, not excluding the Turbo, were the ultralight early 2.2 liter 911S's, of which I had 3, one of which I only sold recently (to buy sails). Those cars, as everyone knows, especially the early ones, had a tendency to vicious oversteer, if you overcooked a corner. But that same dangerous property was linked with the gorgeous responsiveness and agility of the car. You could make it dance like Nuryev on a twisty road. For me, it was worth the dangerous risk 100 times over, and in a few hundred thousand miles of driving them hard (including a 10 minute lap of the Nordschleife), I never spun one.

High performance cats, as I see it, are the same kind of thing. If you want the speed, the acceleration, the responsiveness of that kind of vessel, then you need to be careful with sail area and weather and keep a hand near the sheets. That just goes with the territory. If I were sailing in lower latitudes, I would totally have an Atlantic 57.

Like an early 911S, these boats are not for everyone. I don't know why that bothers some people.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 21:57   #614

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This video shows the storm that capsized the cat at anchor.

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 22:21   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
these boats are not for everyone. I don't know why that bothers some people.
It is bothersome to have to read between the lines. The Atlantic 57 seems like a race boat sold as a cruiser. There clearly are pitfalls in cruising on a racer. Not my cup of tea given the extra danger, but I couldn't tell that from the brochures.

There is a 2011 Atlantic 55 for sale in North Carolina for $590K. Fine boat. The owner echos the builder's claim of "extended cruising range" due to its high performance, in addition to high luxury. Apparently this refers to the ability to speed to those far away islands before all the caviar runs out.

One could argue that a heavier cat might make a more relaxing long range cruiser, as you are likely very far from the hairy edge. Daggerboards and large sails don't make sense at night to me anyway.

Cruising across the US in a Porsche at 100 MPH would be constantly exciting, but how many hours of adrenaline per day will fit into your extended travel plans?
Doing the same trip in a Winnebago at 65 MPH would get you there, while the driver can enjoy the scenery too.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, leopard, size