Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:57   #1

Atlantic 47 MastFoil boat of the year 2014

This is a vessel I would realy like to own, the Atlantic 47.
Now Sails's reward this design as best 2014 boat in the category multihull 41-50 feet.
http://www.sailmagaz...014-atlantic-47
Would be very interested if somebody has direct experience with MastFoil,
ciao
Eiasu
eiasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:20   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Atlantic 47 MastFoil boat of the year 2014

Sail mag must be desperate for revenue if they award "best of the year" gongs weeks before the beginning of that year!

Talk about meaningless accolades...

The Atlantic may indeed be a great boat, but these "awards" bestowed by sailing mags are so blatantly biased that for me they have become ridiculous.

Rant over, return to scheduled programming!

Jim
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26   #3

Wow Jim you mean you think mags are bias towards their advertisers? LOL
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:30   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Automobile magazines do the same thing because the next model year's cars are released in the fall. Same with sailboats for the boat shows. Nothing wrong with that - some companies fiscal years are also not aligned with calendar years.

I don't think Chris White does much, if any, advertising with the magazines, nor does he run a production line. His boat designs are purchased by people who have their boats made by other companies. Two of his designs are in custom series productions by at least one yard. I don't think that yard advertises either.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:01   #5

Boat: Lightwave 45

Notwithstanding that Sail magazine gave him the award for innovation and not necessarily practice. This is really an early adopter boat. I am not sure I would want to slap down U$1.2 mill to get an unproven design manufactured in the Southern reaches of Chile at this time.

That is not to say it may not be a fantastic innovation in the fullness of time.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Notwithstanding that Sail magazine gave him the award for innovation and not necessarily practice. This is really an early adopter boat. I am not sure I would want to slap down U$1.2 mill to get an unproven design manufactured in the Southern reaches of Chile at this time.

That is not to say it may not be a fantastic innovation in the fullness of time.
Chris - You make the reference to Chile in a way that suggests that it is a negative. The Alwoplast yard has a very very good reputation and I have seen a few boats from there and was impressed by the fine detail. 25 years of successful production is not easy.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 13:06   #7

Andrew

You misunderstand me. If I ordered one of these I would want to make several visits to the factory. I do business in Chile and Valdivia is not the easiest place to get to. Further you would really have to sail it out and it is a long run to your first stop.

I have no doubt Alwoplast produce a good product, but last time I looked they were only producing their fourth of fifth hull, and just as importantly the accessories for the boat, and had really only being going on this for a year or so.

My point was that I would wait for some time to elapse before committing U$1.2 mill.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:01   #8
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Clearly you would want to test sail one in various conditions and speak to any exisitng owners, but if the performance meets your needs and the rig is as easy to use as it seems, I see no reason to believe that the sails and rigging would be problematic - afterall, the technology for each sail is hardly new.

On the issue of 'accessories' - again, I see no reason that one could not specify what hardware/electronics etc. one wanted as I suspect none will be manufactured in Chile in any event. Visits to the factory - yes, one would have to look into the transportation costs from your home base. However, Chile is now becoming a popular tourist destination and I see no reason to believe that the costs will be prohibitive. Indeed, the cost of living once there will likely be much less than in France or Australia, if one were going to visit a factory for boats manufactured in those countries.

The boat is well outside my 'snack bracket', but neither the somewhat novel rig, nor the fact that it is manufactured in Chile would be deter me if I could afford one.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

These boat of the year awards are for a totally new design just like the car of the year. There are not many new totally new models that come out in any given year so it is a small sampling to choose from. It is the most innovative and Chris White is staking his reputation on it. He hasn't screwed up yet so my moneys on him.
You Aussies ought to jump on this. Chile has a free trade agreement with OZ so you save some bucks right there.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic 47 MastFoil boat of the year 2014

Nice looking boat.. I'd be interested..
Just need to win EuroMillions..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:35   #11

In response

None of the technology itself is new but

The positioning and use of the sail plan on a cat is new and as yet not fully stood the test of time.

The use of carbon foils in this way is new and as yet fully tested. There have been some iterations made by Chris to date.

In my view you need time before talking to owners to see what breaks and what accessories give a problem, and here I am not talking about electronics. I am talking to those accessories that are unique to the boat.

The existence of a FTA with Chile means nothing. You still have to pay 5% duty and 10% GST on top of the boat if you have to bring it into Australia.

I am very interested in the boat mainly because it is a boat that can/should be able to be sailed by older people with little difficulty, but as I said until it is proven at sea over a couple of years I would not be putting down $1.2 mill plus $150K in importation costs,. but as always there are always the early adopters who are happy to do so.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:46   #12

Well a slight modification. If I wait until 2015 then no duty will be payable. Perhaps that's a reason to wait right there.
Old 11-12-2013, 13:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The positioning of the masts is nothing new.. take a look at the schooner rigged Tiki 38... works a treat... but as usual the rest are behind the best,,

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 11-12-2013, 14:00   #14

Yeah right. I am sure Chris would be flattered to have the Atlantic 47 compared to a Tiki 38. Next time I get in my Lexus I will pretend its a Ferrari. After all they both have four wheels.
Old 11-12-2013, 14:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ooooh.. we do love to split a hair don't we..
Thought we were discussing mast positioning..
and lets face it.. how many designers are stepping in the first footprints... Wharram was the first to use the modern L/B ratio.. in fact it was his success that prompted others to follow suit

Tags
mast, oil