Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16   #1

Asymmetrical Chute Gear for Cat

I have ordered a asymmetrical chute for a 45 foot cat. It will be a 1.5 ounce chute about 1200 sq ft. It will be bridal rigged. I wondered if anyone has advice on how to rig a bridal and what system of blocks they use to give the most adjustment including being able to move the tack point to the windward hull. I also wondered what size sheets most would use and what strength turning blocks I will require to lead the sheets to the spinn. winches. I am planning 3/8 inch sheets at the moment but same are saying 1/4 inch will work. I know lighter is better within reason. An recommendation on a specific turning block that is reliable and available at a decent price would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:02   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
If you use 1/4" sheets and a gust comes along and you hear a BIG BANG!! as the sheet parts company, you will risk buying another chute before you can get it down in one piece.

I have a couple of chutes (1 Asym and one runner) and I use 3/8" on each one.
The boat's a 33' tri and I don't feel any need for smaller diameter.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 18:58   #3

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
That's a relatively small spinnaker for that size boat so, but I would still use at least 3/8" on the sheets, though it obviously depends on what type of line you are using. I have a 2000 sq ft asymmetric on my Catana 48 and use 11mm Endura Braid for sheets with no issues so far. If you are worried about the weight of the sheets in light air, just get a separate, single, really light sheet for those conditions. I typically go by the recommendations on the New England Ropes web site: New England Ropes - Line Selector

In terms of rigging it, I would recommend an eye (or maybe a loop on a cleat if there is one far enough forward) on each bow with a block attached. Then run two tack lines, one running down the port side, through the block on the port bow and to the spinnaker tack, the other doing the same thing on the stbd side. If you have each of the tack lines on their own winch you can position the tack anywhere you like between the two bows just by adjusting the lines.

Mark.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:15   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I was thinking it was small as well, I had about 1100 sq ft on my 32 ft cat and used 10mm double braid, as I wanted a bit of stretch to save fittings and kite.

That rope was light enough for about 5 knots of wind, anything below that I used 4mm VB cord, but usualy the weight of 1.5 oz started to colapse it anyway, really needed a 3/4 oz kite.

Dave
Old 09-09-2007, 16:21   #5

I got several proposals from different sailmakers and they all were in the 1200 foot size range which is also the manufacturers recommended size. The boat has about 1180 feet in the main and jib. It will have a 54 foot luff on the kite and be a 180 percent sailing on the bottom tapering to 165 in the middle. Most cruising chutes are 165 all the way but they said a cat does better with a bit more sail down low. The 32 footer must have a huge mast to support a 1100 foot chute. The luff would have to be around 50 feet. The chute could have had a bigger foot and more area if I went with a Sprit but since the boat is in charter that was not really an option. I am going to order the 3/8 inch sheets. Any thoughts on the turning blocks?
Thanks
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 17:35   #6

Mast height 43 ft, so about 47 ft off the water and the bottom of the kite would drag the water in light air.

We had a fixed prodder out the front, but could pull the tack from there across to each bow or inbetween as required.

Had to stand off the side of the boat with a harness and drive with a tiller extension to see, but gee, did it power up. Actually built seats up on the sheer for this purpose.

Certainly not for the faint hearted, and "usualy" dowsed at 20 knots.

With a squeezer sock, we cruised many thousands of miles, short and single handed with it.

No main, just kite, much cheaper sail to use than the main.

Oh, and it was a symetrical, not an asy

Dave
Old 14-09-2007, 23:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Mast height 43 ft, so about 47 ft off the water and the bottom of the kite would drag the water in light air.

We had a fixed prodder out the front, but could pull the tack from there across to each bow or inbetween as required.

Had to stand off the side of the boat with a harness and drive with a tiller extension to see, but gee, did it power up. Actually built seats up on the sheer for this purpose.

Certainly not for the faint hearted, and "usualy" dowsed at 20 knots.

With a squeezer sock, we cruised many thousands of miles, short and single handed with it.

No main, just kite, much cheaper sail to use than the main.

Oh, and it was a symetrical, not an asy

Dave
hey Dave,
Very interested in your powercat design.
I think a nice light powercat with a huge kite for downwind crossings would be awesome. How far from ddw can you get with a free flying kite with a daggerboard boat.......I mean a No mast setup.
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 23:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
hey Dave,
Very interested in your powercat design.
I think a nice light powercat with a huge kite for downwind crossings would be awesome. How far from ddw can you get with a free flying kite with a daggerboard boat.......I mean a No mast setup.
Not having had one, I dont know.

But tell me, how far??

Dave

Tags
asymmetric