Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2014, 14:13   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Re: Asking too Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Sounds like a fairly typical boat market.

There's a broker near me who advertises boats at what seem to be outrageous prices, but somehow they end up sold. I don't know if he comes down a lot on the price or what. They don't publish the prices, though they might be in soldboats.com. I'd love to know what they actually sell for, because he does have some nice boats.
Brokers don't set prices, owners do. I am always amazed at the suggestion that brokers inflate prices, why on earth would a broker want a boat to to never sell at $100K when it would sell at $75K and he could actually get paid? I don't understand the logic. But to be clear, owners set prices.

Old 19-06-2014, 14:22   #47

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I do a lot of buying and selling, and the right price is important, but also patience, and that is the tricky bit. If cheap enough, many will buy it today just to resell it tomorrow for more. Some things you buy and you can't even give them away, for example, some boats.

But to bring this back to ask vs offer, if anyone really would take 1/2 the asking price, they are being foolish, as one should just drop the asking price first, and see what offers come in. To think you can low-ball and steal it without letting others see the deal (i.e. lower the ask), you are insulting the seller with your unfair approach, and that is why I just ignore them, don't bother with 'no thanks'. In fact, I've had one guy try to buy something from me and changed his email three times raising his low-ball offers because I ignore him..

Old 19-06-2014, 14:31   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Brokers don't set prices, owners do. I am always amazed at the suggestion that brokers inflate prices, why on earth would a broker want a boat to to never sell at $100K when it would sell at $75K and he could actually get paid? I don't understand the logic. But to be clear, owners set prices.
To be clear, owners set prices, but they usually get advice on where to price it from their broker.

Why would brokers set the price high? To get the listing. People list with brokers because of the promise of a higher sales price, and to get access to internet sites like Yachtworld, which costs a lot of money.

That's my theory anyway. Everyone I've known that uses a broker inflates their price in order to pay for them.
Old 19-06-2014, 15:48   #49

Boat: Leopard 40

We're looking at a boat that has been on the market for two years because it's priced too high, even though they've just lowered the price by $5000. The broker gave us a list of all the boats that have sold in the past year with their asking price and their selling price. He really wants to sell this boat and basically told us what we'd have to do when we made the offer.

There is one broker in Martinique that has some of the cheapest prices around. They flat out state on their website that they are straight up with their owners and tell them what the boat is worth.

Maje
Old 19-06-2014, 16:03   #50

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Weavis, stop fussing around....buy a boat! Over priced boats are not for sale, the same way with houses. Find a nice used boat that's actually on the market. Make an offer on one that's just laying around...if the owner never uses it he may just let it go. There's a nice Cal40 next to me that the owner has never seen since the day he bought it...its just ridiculous.
Old 19-06-2014, 16:20   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Weavis, stop fussing around....buy a boat! Over priced boats are not for sale, the same way with houses. Find a nice used boat that's actually on the market. Make an offer on one that's just laying around...if the owner never uses it he may just let it go. There's a nice Cal40 next to me that the owner has never seen since the day he bought it...its just ridiculous.
hey Thanks dad! LOL
I actually have bought 2 in the last 3 months. Both Westerly Centaurs, one for my nephew and the other for his buddy. Ive enjoyed playing at fixing them up and getting #3 nephew back on the water. The few times I went in the Bristol Channel with him tuning the rigging and some sailing has been good for the spirits. Westerly make fine boats. The Centaur is a fine coastal cruiser.

I will come across the right Cat in due course. It will happen.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:22   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Holding a car long term is not a great idea. The 1964 bought for $3100 and sold for $10000... over 50 yrs, that works out to a 2.37% return on investment. Just about any investment will beat that over a 50yr run. To go out today and buy a car thinking it will be the next multimillion dollar car in 50yrs is crazy.

Also, be careful of crazy high million dollar cars, the values can fluxuate drastically depending on how the market is. That can make short term flipping a risky option.
The 190SL has been kept purely for sentimental reasons, but it has always been worth at least what it cost, and after 10 yrs or so, considerably more. It's just a nice bonus that the value has gone up as opposed to down, like most cars.

The 230SL was bought in 1972 and sold in 1975, again, nice to own a great car and turn a tidy profit on it without spending a penny on restoration. That was a pretty good ROI.

Naturally, I have a knack for buying cars, trailers, sand rails, UTVs, and watching their value go down over the years while I use them. Conversely, my mom has the ability to spot quality items that go up in value. Everything she bought, from rare cars, Rolexes, Hummels, to unmounted investment grade jewels, has gone up in value, some items 3x, others up to 20x what she paid for them.

Anyhow, most boats are definitely not an investment. They're something you hope to get some enjoyment out of as the value drops, some faster than others. With any luck, by the time one sells the boat, he's gotten his money's worth of great memories to cherish.
Old 19-06-2014, 16:24   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
hey Thanks dad! LOL
I actually have bought 2 in the last 3 months. Both Westerly Centaurs, one for my nephew and the other for his buddy. Ive enjoyed playing at fixing them up and getting #3 nephew back on the water. The few times I went in the Bristol Channel with him tuning the rigging and some sailing has been good for the spirits. Westerly make fine boats. The Centaur is a fine coastal cruiser.

I will come across the right Cat in due course. It will happen.
I agree with Kenomac.

Quit goofing around and go get a Sunreef.

Old 19-06-2014, 16:27   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I agree with Kenomac.

Quit goofing around and go get a Sunreef.

I shouldnt laugh
darn it..
I did..........
Old 19-06-2014, 16:47   #55
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Asking too Much?

There's 7 Cat's on this page... 5 under 30K, one at 35K and one at 80K...
catamarans | eBay

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:51   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's 7 Cat's on this page... 5 under 30K, one at 35K and one at 80K...
catamarans | eBay
Yep, I am familiar with them all.
The Catalac is............
Prouts Im not keen on.

Back home now?
Old 19-06-2014, 16:57   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

weavis,

If you want a boat buy one! Don't moan about owners not coming down to what you think their boat is worth. In the final analysis a boat is worth what a buyer and seller agree on. I'm going to start a thread "offering too little"
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:57   #58
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Asking too Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yep, I am familiar with them all.
The Catalac is............
Prouts Im not keen on.

Back home now?
The Iroquois is the only one I'd go look at.. they actually do sail
Yeah.. back in Portugal after a wasted trip.. one hand painted boat.. one 3ft shorter than claimed.. another had shot through hulls but all 3 were perfect and ready to sail away.. after rewiring nav lights.. Oh and...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 17:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
weavis,

If you want a boat buy one! Don't moan about owners not coming down to what you think their boat is worth. In the final analysis a boat is worth what a buyer and seller agree on.
Old 19-06-2014, 17:20   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My daughter, who lived aboard with us from her birth in 1976 until she was off to college in 1994, has recently bought a boat and plans to move aboard with her husband and son. She's excited about the vessel and the move, but a little disappointed in the cost of the boat. The former owner is pleased with the sale, but a little disappointed in the price that he let it go.

This is the most favorable expectation in any negotiation. Each party should be a little disappointed with the money side of the deal, but excited by the change!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: