Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04   #1

asking price VS realistic price.

long time lurking. First post. Sorry if wrong site or wronge forum. My wife and I will sell everything and buy a catamaran in three years. So we travel to boats shows and forums. But one thing is the prices. I found one in Norway that was perfect. But was cheap compared to all the others. But it was "right" priced. Probably not much bargain. So I'm starting to think. How many procents it is normal to put in different countries. Will be displayed on sales websites. I can in principle travel all over the world to buy the "right one". But I can get a surprise. Or I should put in a little in price in certain countries to get the expected state. Is stupid to travel far for a misunderstanding. (It's is just culture.) I do not know if you understand, (English is not my first language) Or have formulated me strange.
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 14:36   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: asking price VS realistic price.

This topic has been discussed many times. There is no real answer. Some boats are priced realistically, some boats are not. A lot of sellers may view their boat as worth more than buyers. It is also quite possible for a buyer to upset the seller by making an unrealistic low offer. I understand your concerns about traveling but truth be known unless you are in a place like South Florida with a high density of boats for sale you will likely have to travel. I am not an expert on Europe but have seen posts about boats for sale that don't have the VAT paid; so be careful about that if you buy in Europe. There are also some locations other than South Florida that seem to have better deals on boats. One suggestion is think about your plans for where you will be cruising. Say you want to cruise in BVI/USVI, you might consider looking for boats for sale there so you will be starting out where you want to cruise.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 14:59   #3

Ultimately the market (buyers) decide.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 16:31   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A boat is worth exactly what YOU are willing to pay for it. Make an offer on an interesting boat based on that value, not what the owner is asking for it.

In these rather common threads, folks are always worrying about "insulting" the seller with a low offer. Well ok, maybe he will get huffy and hate you and all... but so what? He isn't your brother in law that you have to have in the family forever. You smile and move on to the next boat. If you consider buying a boat as a business deal rather than a social event you will be better off in the long run.

Jim
Old 09-06-2019, 17:05   #5

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I offered less than half the asking price and got it for a little more than my offer. you have to start from somewhere, so you may as well start low and see what the counter offer is. If they get huffy then ask for a counter offer. The more work the boat needs, the more soft the asking price is usually. Don't be shy
Old 09-06-2019, 17:08   #6

The seller sets the asking price. The buyer sets the selling price.
Old 09-06-2019, 17:32   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Do your research and make an offer based on condition and prices other like cats have sold for.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 21:39   #8

thank you so much for many good feedbacks. Does anyone have experience that the boat is not in the condition that has been informed when you go to look at it? Should one automatically think that I should get this boat for just over half the query price? Or are those boats where "the seller is motivated" more "correctly" priced. I know there is a difference between countries here. If one prizes "wrong" one does not get response whatsoever ...
Old 09-06-2019, 23:43   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
thank you so much for many good feedbacks. Does anyone have experience that the boat is not in the condition that has been informed when you go to look at it? Should one automatically think that I should get this boat for just over half the query price? Or are those boats where "the seller is motivated" more "correctly" priced. I know there is a difference between countries here. If one prizes "wrong" one does not get response whatsoever ...
It is very common that boat does match up to the rosie picture painted by the broker. Best if you can actually go inspect, but the cost of travelling can really add up fast. Plus, not knowing if the seller will come down enough in price to meet your needs makes it even more dicey to spend on travel.

Once you get a decent feel for the boats you are interested in, you can make an offer sight unseen. You assume the boat is as stated in the sales info. Negotiate a price and terms that works for you. Sign a contract and put a deposit down. Then spend money travelling. If the boat isn't as promised, you renegotiate. Not optimal, but doable.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 00:03   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

I would'nt be looking for a bargain. You are better of finding a good boat at a reasonable price and just being happy with that. The real bargains are often not even listed, its word of mouth that usually sells those boats.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:22   #11

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A boat is worth exactly what YOU are willing to pay for it. Make an offer on an interesting boat based on that value, not what the owner is asking for it.

In these rather common threads, folks are always worrying about "insulting" the seller with a low offer. Well ok, maybe he will get huffy and hate you and all... but so what? He isn't your brother in law that you have to have in the family forever. You smile and move on to the next boat. If you consider buying a boat as a business deal rather than a social event you will be better off in the long run.

Jim
Jim is spot on - buying/selling a boat is a business transaction. I've always been surprised at how many people don't like to negotiate for fear they might hurt the other guy's feelings or insult him. If you do, so what? It's just business.

From a buyer's perspective, if a seller gets huffy about an offer it usually indicates that he is emotionally involved with the boat and may not be completely rational about the deal. Just say, "Sorry we couldn't come to an agreement" and move on.

From a seller's perspective, there are a lot of bottom feeders and a low ball offer is sometimes just a technique to determine how desperate a seller is. A good reply to a really low ball offer that is no where close to what you'll accept is, "I appreciate your interest in my boat! I may be wrong but I believe the boat is worth more than that. I guess time will tell. Thanks for your offer, I wish you luck in finding the right boat for you at a price you're comfortable with." The ball is now back in the buyer's court to either increase his offer or keep looking. He knows he can't steal the boat from you and also knows that you're not going to get insulted by another offer. So if he really likes your boat, he'll keep talking. Alternately, the seller might counter a really low offer with, "Gee, that's a lot lower than I had ever considered. I can't see selling her for that, but if you'd consider going up X more dollars, I think we could make something happen." This leaves the door open for more negotiation which shouldn't be something to be afraid of.

There's an old saying in negotiating... "Up your aspirations!". As a seller, the more you ask, the more you're likely to get. As a buyer, the less you offer, the less you'll likely end up paying.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 14:25   #12

Davs, Du :-)!

The forum language is English, so if I lapse into Scowegian, I'll be keel-hauled ;-) But if you want to chat in Norwegian/Danish, send me a PM.

Jim Cate and Ohgary have it exactly right. You set your (realistic) budget, then you shop until you find what you want, or what you can live with, within that budget.

TrentePieds (Søren ved Stillehavet)
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 15:34   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You are getting some responses from guys with monos and buying a cat is entirely different because of all the boats wrecked during the recent hurricanes. It was a sellers market although perhaps now it has come closer to an even market. FLLCatsailor is a member here and a broker and has posted the recent sales data from the last year or 2. I think the average sale price was around 95% of the asking price so that gives you an idea. Do a search for his posts and you will find the reports.

Good Luck
Old 10-06-2019, 17:43   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You are getting some responses from guys with monos and buying a cat is entirely different because of all the boats wrecked during the recent hurricanes. It was a sellers market although perhaps now it has come closer to an even market. FLLCatsailor is a member here and a broker and has posted the recent sales data from the last year or 2. I think the average sale price was around 95% of the asking price so that gives you an idea. Do a search for his posts and you will find the reports.

Good Luck

While I get the mono v multi issue it is important to realize that almost every used boat is different; be it multi or mono. As an example there are a lot of Corsair tris around and it is fairly easy to find lots of them for sale in varying condition and a wide price range. There are a lot fewer Seawinds around; especially compared to something like an FP. Most brokers tend to deal with better boats; if it is really broken down they simply won't waste their time listing it. I suspect that may somewhat explain the 95% of asking price claim.

Bottom line is every boat is different and there is no rule of thumb on how an asking price is set or how a selling price is reached. Another consideration is what I will call the axiom that 'you can always get more money, but you can never get more time'. If you find a boat you like how much more is it worth to buy it at, or close, to the asking price to get cruising now as opposed to waiting months or years to save some money buying a boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 01:46   #15

Thank you for all the inputs. I really apreiate A little joker in my budget is currency. I hope that it will change in 2-3 years in my favor. (should bought for 5-7 year ago) So i startet with the elimination prosess. I got at lot inputs in LGM this year in france. (my wife is in one of cruising off duty latest rewievs.) So i hope that i will be well educated when i buy my new home I we will probably renta a cat in Croatia a couple of times so we have some referesnes.

Tags
Budget bargain, price