Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-04-2008, 15:21   #91

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
A nice little compact design is the JArcat Coral Coast 29. It is a good little cruiser and full bridge deck , with some interesting ways of keeping the windage reduced, and if kept light goes reasonably well.

Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 16:18   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
The answer to the original question is simple, given a good and safe yacht , both cats and monohulls from 40 ft and up are good long passage makers, it is not the baot that is capable of doing this , it is about the crew and can they handle the situation, I have sailed around 300000 Nm in my life most with monohulls and the last 20 years mostly cats and have not ever been in a situation where the boat could not handle it. the crew is a different story ranging from seasickness to making the wrong decisions over and over again.
The most commom mistake that bring boats and crew into danger is putting in reefs,
do not wait until the weather hits you if you where to carefull all you do is letting a reef out.
Sail safe and all 40 ft and up cats and mono,s sail well .
I prefer the cats because of the comfort, space and speed .

fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 13:35   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I noticed that "Fallado" sailed through the Queen's birthday storm in 1994 without incident.

Fallado's Circumnavigation
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 19:02   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post

Even partial open wing tris would have as much cabin room as I’m used to and the accommodation placement wouldn’t offend my naiveté… cat’s in the high 20s to mid 30s, on the other hand, would simply have to have an open cockpit (with split accommodations) to satisfy my inexperienced eye… again, certainly no big reach – just a center-cockpit athwart-ships rather than along the keel… but I guess it’s as much that I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for Marple’s CC work for some time… Don’t know if it is or not, but Marple’s minimalist CC 30 looks quite reminiscent of Mike McMullen’s last tri; Three Cheers (wasn’t that a Newick design…??). The venture admittedly meet with an ill-fated end, but doubt it had anything to do with the vessel… was modestly well read on multis back then, but after that episode my interest faded until recent curiosity…
The CC 30 looks very similar to a Newick Val design. It sounds like you are looking at something around 30 feet or less and maybe at this size a trimaran may be the better option. If you want to talk more about trimarans send me a private message or we could start a new thread so we don't hijack the cat thread.

Don't trust your dog to guard your lunch.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: