Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2008, 10:07   #1

Are Cats truly bluewater/long passage capable?

Not just any cat, but something in my price range (used but in good condition, 32' to 43', and between ~$100k to ~$200k depending on year, length, config, and condition). Can a Lagoon 38 or 42/43, Prout 37 or similiar cross oceans "no problem"? Can they actually handle heavy seas, waves, and weather? Could a smaller PDQ 32? Are most modern/recent cats strong structually and very sound? If I buy a boat, I'd ultimately like to take 3 to 4 years and be able to go anywhere. Would you choose a nice monohull for the same price instead? Anyone know of any exceptionally good deals available? Thoughts?

Jeff
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 10:26   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Jeff,

People go about the same task in different ways. I have sailed my mono about 4000 ocean miles, and my cat about the same. For me unless I was going into high latitudes I will take the cat any time. You can get a sweet cat for that price range. My cat was built in Berlin, and I bought her in St. Maarten. Mostly you will be sailing with the wind behind the beam if you follow the trades.

Don't be afraid of custom boats. Some are afraid of them. They can either be well built, or junk, but that is what a surveyor is for. BEST WISHES in your search......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 10:31   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Are mono's truly bluewater/long passage capable?

A similar size mono would be no better. Obviously larger vessels will be more comfortable in larger seas, but IMO what determines a bluewater-capable vessel, besides its ability to withstand the conditions, is its equipment and stowage/tankage. There have been plenty of smaller Prouts, for example, that have made circumnavigations.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:56   #4

[quote=Lodesman;147518]A similar size mono would be no better. Obviously larger vessels will be more comfortable in larger seas, but IMO what determines a bluewater-capable vessel, besides its ability to withstand the conditions...quote]

But what about capsizing...a cat will never self right but a mono usually will. How often to off shore cruisers get caught in bad storms and how often to you hear of cats capsizing?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 12:10   #5

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!
For me personaly the minimum size cat would be 42ft. Anything smaller than that would be to unstable for the open ocean. Not a law, just my own feeling.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 13:34   #6

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
But what about capsizing...a cat will never self right but a mono usually will. How often to off shore cruisers get caught in bad storms and how often to you hear of cats capsizing?
Less frequent than mono's being dismasted (I don't have stats, it just seems this way). If you scan through the threads you'll find a few discussions on this very topic. A well-found cat, sailed conservatively, should handle almost anything the seas can throw at it. Check Shuttleworth's comments on cat stabilty: John Shuttleworth Yacht Designs Ltd. . Also, Google Richard Woods and Eclipse, to find a remarkable tale of how well a small (32 ft) cat handled a large storm.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 13:48   #7

Boat: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You are absolutly correct, monos will usually end up right side up....
on the bottom.

You hear of more monos sinking than cats flipping.
Old 28-03-2008, 13:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
No small yachts can cross oceans "no problem" (literally), but yes a Catamaran can be as safe as any other yacht.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 14:22   #9

Sailingwoo, the reality is that many small cats have successfully completed many ocean crossings. Look at "Annaliese " the oceanic 30 the first cat to round cape horn, or "cooking fat "the wharram 21 that completed a circumnavigation as just two examples. The advent of people roaring around on large multi-hulls is a recent phenomena as boat handling systems and construction techniques and materials have evolved, not to mention obscene amounts of disposable income. It doesn't matter what size boat you have, you will be able to get into vast amounts of trouble very quickly through lack of experience. One could never say Rosie swalie and her family had much experience but believe me it certainly helps when things get tough. So if you want to spend a little time getting to know your boat before setting off then you will be pretty much able to answer your own questions. Sure ,history shows us that many small cats are ocean capable.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 14:57   #10

I am also interested in this question. But my concern is more about price. My target range (when I am ready) will be under 150K. There are plenty of options looking at bluewater monos but the cats get pretty slim down there. Especially at 100K. I know it can be done. A friend of mine has a 30 foot cat he plans to do the coconut milk run on. I, on the other hand, think that I might be more comfortable with a sturdy 40 foot mono - for the money.
bmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 17:49   #11

I adopted to 6 wk old kittens in St Maarten. They spent virtually all their time aboard and even learned to use litterless litter box which I made a grid of mono filament for them to stand on. First started with sand, then added the grid over, then ditched the sand.

I tossed them overboard and left a towel over the stern and they climbed right up.

We did a offshore passage to CT from St Maarten.

They liked to go fishing for flying fish in the evening when they landed on the deck.

They also liked to visit the bilges!.

Short answer. YES

Catamarans? Are those cats?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 19:40   #12

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Some catamarans are awesome blue water yachts. Some monohulls are awesome blue water yachts.

A robust well-found catamaran 38-42 feet in length makes a great trade wind circumnavigator, but it won't be such a good high latitude yacht. At higher lattitudes, you'll be spending much more time beating into rough seas, and you need a higher bridgedeck clearance than you can get on a smaller catamaran.

Our Privilege 39 is an awewome tradewind catamaran, but I wouldn't want to do a high latitude circumnavigation with our cat. I'm sure it would do fine, but it would be hard on the yacht and hard on me.

Some smaller cats are designed only for coastal cruising.

In France, the government categorizes catamarans as to whether they are designed for offshore sailing or coastal cruising. One of the reasons I purchased a Privilege 39 was that it was certified for offshore sailing and the construction was extremely strong.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 20:41   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Cats are ok if you train them to use the litter box.

When the sea’s get really high and that blue water turns white, …..the use of a litter box becomes very popular with all those involved with Cats!

(just kidding guys!)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 07:14   #14

Boat: currently a power boat :(

NO WAY! Don't believe ANYTHING cat owners have to say! It is a widely known fact that all cats are built with catnip infused hulls and the owners of these boats only think they are circumnavigating when in reality they are still on the hook!!!
Old 30-03-2008, 00:20   #15

Boat: Cat:Fontaine Pajot, Lavazzi 40ft
sort of off the track..but, as we prepare for our first offshore passage (NZ to Tonga) on our 40 ft FP CAT..we are considering whether or not it is necessary to have a storm sail (as insisted upon by Cat 1 for NZ registered boats. We are Canada reg'd)

Do we need a stormsail (it will be difficult to accommodate it on deck) or will 3 reefs in our mainsail suffice?
Any advice welcomed.

Also, we have been told dirty diesel wil be a concern in the islands; any easy precautions?
leelee is offline   Reply With Quote