Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 16:38   #106

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Cats from Duflex Panel Kits - Strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Didn't Manta switch to Core Cell in their later boats. To say Nida Core doesn't rot is wrong. I've seen and smelled rotten Nida Core. Maybe they changed the materials to make Nida Core as this was a mid 90's Manta. I'm pretty sure Nida Core started of as a furniture core and boatbuilders started using it because of the low cost.
Much of my boat is made from Nidacore and the PO in his wisdom neglected to exclude the core from under the thru-hulls, then bedded them with silicone.
There was some water entry of course, and when I repaired the areas there was a foul smell as the water drained, but this was caused by dead marine organisms, not by rotten Nidacore. Beiland has it right. Polypropylene may break down under abuse, but it does not rot.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:38   #107
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Much of my boat is made from Nidacore and the PO in his wisdom neglected to exclude the core from under the thru-hulls, then bedded them with silicone.
There was some water entry of course, and when I repaired the areas there was a foul smell as the water drained, but this was caused by dead marine organisms, not by rotten Nidacore. Beiland has it right. Polypropylene may break down under abuse, but it does not rot.

Mike
The problem on the boat I was talking about had the bad core under a thru hull above the waterline. It was turned to mush by fresh water. This was a mid 90's boat so maybe Nida Core has changed since then.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 19:52   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Polypropylene Properties

Unlike nonwoven polyester geotextiles, polypropylene does not absorb water nor does the presence of water have any effect whatsoever on tensile strength or other mechanical properties.

Since polypropylene does not support, attract or deteriorate from fungal growths, Propex Geotex nonwoven geotextiles are rot and mildew resistant.

When properly stabilized and buried, nonwoven polypropylene geotextiles have been expected to last for up to 200 years.

...more here...Engineering Bulletin
http://www.geotextile.com/downloads/...ypropylene.pdf

Old 30-10-2011, 19:58   #109
Marine Service Provider

Comparision Table

Interesting comparision table:

End Grain Balsa Wood used for lightweight structural bonded panels. Comparison Table
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:53   #110

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
The problem on the boat I was talking about had the bad core under a thru hull above the waterline. It was turned to mush by fresh water. This was a mid 90's boat so maybe Nida Core has changed since then.
That's a puzzler. I wonder if they might not have used one of the old paper core honeycombs?

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 05:24   #111
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
That's a puzzler. I wonder if they might not have used one of the old paper core honeycombs?

Mike
That's possible. I wonder if the original Nida Core was a paper core honeycomb. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended to be used as coring for a hull when it first came out.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35   #112

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Didn't Manta switch to Core Cell in their later boats. To say Nida Core doesn't rot is wrong. I've seen and smelled rotten Nida Core. Maybe they changed the materials to make Nida Core as this was a mid 90's Manta. I'm pretty sure Nida Core started of as a furniture core and boatbuilders started using it because of the low cost.
Yes, Manta switched to Corecell at some point in production because of the better strength properties. All of the boats built with Nida Core used polypropylene core and not paper.

I only mentioned the lower sheer strength of Nida Core, and nothing about rotting.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 16:42   #113

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

I only mentioned the lower sheer strength of Nida Core
It makes you wonder
There is a 40ft schionning powercat that I know of that used it throughout inc hulls
And there are these using a "same same but different" version
http://www.polycore.com.au/News--and--Events.php

Old 06-11-2011, 18:29   #114

Re: Are Cats Made from Duflex Panel Kits Strong ?

While polypropylene honeycomb core has lower shear strength than balsa or structural foam, it is perfectly suitable for boat building. Catana used it extensively during the period of the 401, 431 and 471 - their best built boats. It was used on Endeavour and Manta, and many monohulls - and probably many boats I don't know about. Shear is not an issue for almost all parts of a boat, and where it is, the structure can be reinforced to accommodate it or a different core used.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:45   #115
Marine Service Provider

Polycore Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
It makes you wonder
There is a 40ft schionning powercat that I know of that used it throughout inc hulls
And there are these using a "same same but different" version
http://www.polycore.com.au/News--and--Events.php

Do you know specifically of that power cat by Schionning design that utilized this 'polycore material"?

I have a gentleman who has expressed the desire to possible utilize NidaCore in the place of Duflex for a Schionning's design. But the response from Schionning would seem as to not recognize this material as a viable substitute to be used for his designs??

The second vessel you posted there became known to me only recently when a gentleman asked on one of the forums if I was aware of this aft-masted vessel. I said no and posted it in my discussions of same.
Lyra's Rig
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53   #116
Marine Service Provider

Schionning or Tennant Design

Now that I look at that first image (powercat), I believe it may be a Tenannt design rather than Schionning one ??
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58   #117

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
While polypropylene honeycomb core has lower shear strength than balsa or structural foam, it is perfectly suitable for boat building.(...)
What about the resin/core bond when using polypropylene? I glued woods and I also glued (attempted) polypropylene sheets with resin. The polypro bonds failed every time.

So, my issue is, how good is the bond between the polypro core and the resins used to form the sandwich?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04   #118

The core material has a fabric scrim thermo-bonded to the polypropylene honeycomb that the resin bonds the first layer of glass to.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h8pp_1.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	33384  

Old 07-11-2011, 10:12   #119
Marine Service Provider

Bond between core and skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What about the resin/core bond when using polypropylene? I glued woods and I also glued (attempted) polypropylene sheets with resin. The polypro bonds failed every time.

So, my issue is, how good is the bond between the polypro core and the resins used to form the sandwich?

b.
That single factor was always a reservation I had with that product. But note that they thermo fuse a polyester scrim onto the core so that you are now bonding your skins to that polyester sub-skin.

And thus far I have not found a lot of negative problems with bonding to that scrim if done properly. That is one of the reasons I bought up this Nidacore subject again...to have a fresh look at this material that I had ignored with initial prejudice for years.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58   #120

Quote:
Shear is not an issue for almost all parts of a boat, and where it is, the structure can be reinforced to accommodate it or a different core used.

Mark
Sheer and compression strength are very inportant in the core. The core's job is to keep the laminates apart, and in position relative to each other. A core which is weak in either compression or sheer will result in a less stiff panel, all other factors being equal.

I've met "Lyra"'s designer/builder, and he has mentioned the lack of sheer strength in his cores. (He makes a brief mention of it in his article too.)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote