Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 14:47   #1

Anyone with a TPI Lagoon 42 in the USVI or BVI?

We just moved to St Thomas, USVI and are considering purchasing a 42 TPI Lagoon that is currently located in St Vincent. We haven't stepped aboard a 42 yet, and we are hesitant to fly down to St Vincent without having any idea if it will for our needs. If anyone on the forum has a 42 TPI and would allow us to step aboard to get a look, we would greatly appreciate it. We can definitely get to any of the BVIs, St Thomas, and possibly St John. Thanks in advance for entertaining us!

Also, while on the topic, our choices right now look like a 38' Leopard or the 42 TPI. While I can't convey the specifics on either boat yet (cause I haven't seen either), I would love to any input regardig the pros and cons of each.
jvbarrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:43   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Anyone with a TPI Lagoon 42 in the USVI or BVI?

Here's my 2C for what its worth. We owned a Leopard 38 prior, but had inspected a Tpi prior to purchasing the leopard. I chose the leopard for the following reasons.
Front windows suck on the tpi, leaks hard to stay on top of, lots of damage if left un fixed.
Front windows need covers or it has severe greenhouse effect on boat. Leopard you dont need covers and can enjoy the scenery.
Tpi had installations for deck hardware drilled right thru balsa core that was not properly sealed or filled w epoxy then re drilled(I forget the name of the process) leading to lots of rot around deck hard ware and lots of crunching noises when walking around.
Leopard uses coring but most deck and all hull penetrations are thru solid glass, except the hull portlights, and genoa tracks.
Ive seen 2 other Tpi's that had split or cracked open hulls at the top edges probably from rot in the core and a minor hull impact opened it up.
If you find one in great shape they are nice and fast. I feel the leopard is a better build quality.
Also the leopards walk thru in the cockpit is nice and we liked the galley up.
We scaled down to an Athena 38 so we could cruise sooner. Really love the motion and speed of the Athena, miss the huge shower on the leopard, preferred straight shafts but the sd 20s are pretty bullet proof

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 12:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42

I am very biased, I am probably the owner of the TPI first poster is talking about but I have been on several other Lagoon TPI 42 apart from mine, and they are all strongly solidly built boats.
They are built in the USA, and are not comparable to the more flimsy French Lagoons. There were only 50 of them built as it was just too expensive a technique to make it viable as a production boat.
grenadines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 15:34   #4

So ,may i ask? How is your tpi as far as leaks go and the balsa ? I was told they are different until they started the vacumn process. Any idea when they started this or at what hull number they started scrimp. Someone on this site said they were heavier [ the early ones] But stronger? Anyone know about the early boats? I heard the tpi 's were great, but smaller interior. How are they for ventilation?…..cu.
captianupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 22:30   #5

How is single-handed sailing a Lagoon 42 TPI?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

If you have an autopilot they'd be pretty easy to single hand.
Old 14-03-2016, 11:57   #7
Marine Service Provider

No hull leaks, from time to time the hatches seals get worn out, easy to replace. These 42 ft TPI's were all built in the USA in the same TPI factory, and there are only 50 of them built.
Old 15-03-2016, 06:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, upright.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 21:15   #9

Thanks for the greetings gord,,,,I will look forward to learning something from you. c.u.
captianupright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon