Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Privilege Marine Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2012, 09:58   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Anyone living/cruising on an older Privilege 48 or 482?

Are any of you actively living or cruising on an older Privilege 482? We are considering this model for purchase, and would love to hear how they are to live on and sail in. Also very interested in hearing what typically goes bad in these models (I know about the typically leaky windows and the headliner issues and the window trim getting cooked) and how they are to upgrade and retro-fit. I've heard new wiring is tricky as getting it through some of the chases and conduit can be a chore.

I like the size and the (reported) build quality. Could do without a bathroom in every cabin, but I suppose we could decommission some of them. What do others like or dislike about these models?

Cheers- Matt
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 08:54   #2

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
Re: Anyone living/cruising on an older Privilege 48 or 482?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Are any of you actively living or cruising on an older Privilege 482? We are considering this model for purchase, and would love to hear how they are to live on and sail in. Also very interested in hearing what typically goes bad in these models (I know about the typically leaky windows and the headliner issues and the window trim getting cooked) and how they are to upgrade and retro-fit. I've heard new wiring is tricky as getting it through some of the chases and conduit can be a chore.

I like the size and the (reported) build quality. Could do without a bathroom in every cabin, but I suppose we could decommission some of them. What do others like or dislike about these models?

Cheers- Matt
Matt,

We have been getting our '93 482 ready for cruising and will be departing this summer. She was purchased in FL, and we brought her back to NC. She felt very sturdy in some of the weather we dealt with. Every day we are more & more happy with our choosing a Privilege.

We have removed the toilet in the crew quarter head . . . will be installing a used clothes washer, build shelves above, and it will become a "utility" closet. The crew quarters is also being used for storage. We also will only be using the 2 forward showers & maybe the starboard shower in the hall. Although, I put a shower rod in the hall shower & will turn that into a wet locker as well.

We have been replacing all of the glass . . . only 2 more hatches to go.

Wiring is definitely a complicated issue. Our boat was re-wired before we got her, so a lot of it is very organized. However there are still many European vs US issues that we run into, as well as a lot of wires that run to nowhere. We are replacing a lot of the electronics. Have been removing old wiring from the mast.

Our website: www.svfullmonty.com You can see some of things we've been doing.

Jenny & Wil
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege