Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 12:11   #1

Anyone know of ASA 114 Classes for 2017?

We're chartering a cat for the first time (not first time charterers) in Oct. I can take a skipper for a day or two and learn what I need to know, but I was wanting to look at ASA 114 options.

Here in the Houston/Texas Gulf Coast, I cannot find a single course. What I hear is, "I don't have a boat available."

I've contacted schools in Minnesota and Florida because these two seemed to have 2017 as their dates, instead of older dates like many sites.

If the course price is right (I've seen $695 all the way to $1,295 - "right" for me is the $695/$795 price), I'll consider flying just about anywhere.

Thanks,
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:14   #2

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Anyone know of ASA 114 Classes for 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
We're chartering a cat for the first time (not first time charterers) in Oct. I can take a skipper for a day or two and learn what I need to know, but I was wanting to look at ASA 114 options.

Here in the Houston/Texas Gulf Coast, I cannot find a single course. What I hear is, "I don't have a boat available."

I've contacted schools in Minnesota and Florida because these two seemed to have 2017 as their dates, instead of older dates like many sites.

If the course price is right (I've seen $695 all the way to $1,295 - "right" for me is the $695/$795 price), I'll consider flying just about anywhere.

Thanks,
That's odd. You can rent sailaway cat in kemah.....I would ask an ASA captain to give you the class and rent sailaway for the day. sailawaycat.com i believe as I saw it go back and forth in front of me over and over and over...
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 19:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
That's odd. You can rent sailaway cat in kemah.....I would ask an ASA captain to give you the class and rent sailaway for the day. sailawaycat.com i believe as I saw it go back and forth in front of me over and over and over...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe they only rent with their captain. If they did allow a different captain, I would be putting the whole class together, finding others who will want to take it, etc., etc. I think that's going to cost me a lot more in time and possible real $s than traveling somewhere else and just taking the course. I know I sure don't have the time to set up a course.
Old 24-05-2017, 21:08   #4

Boat: Boatless

Cats have white flappy things just like keel boats I don't understand why you need a separate certification unless it is to generate income for sailing school.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 22:01   #5

If you want to fly to Seattle, Puget Sound Sailing is doing a 114 class this June for $875. I took that class through them a few years ago before my first cat charter. A cat isn't too terribly different than a mono, but I did learn a few things that came in handy. However, I think you could cover everything you need by just hiring a skipper for a few hours though. That would give you personalized attention rather than sharing an instructor between 6-8 students - though you would not get your 114 certificate.

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 05:18   #6

Yes, yes, there's not much difference between a mono and a cat. However, since DYC is requiring the course or a couple of days with a skipper, those are my options. Hiring a captain for a day is no problem (I've done that on large monos). The problem is finding a boat. It's not very cost effective to lease a boat for a day or two for just one person.
Old 25-05-2017, 06:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Cats have white flappy things just like keel boats I don't understand why you need a separate certification unless it is to generate income for sailing school.
Though many of us have chosen to take our knocks the hard way, many feel better having had some training and certification. Heck, you can get a certificate showing that you have learned how to paddle a kayak!

And that is fine. Sailing school participation is driven by supply and demand which is also fine. More power to them! Those students are still on the water having fun and building confidence.

Sailing schools definitely have a place in shoring up flagging participation in sailing, especially in modern times where fewer people are taught early to "just do it!"

I would guess a big multi might be intimidating to someone who has spent some time on smaller monos. They are massive. Generally, the rigging is more sophisticated, more heavily loaded, and the boat often has more windage.

To your point, my Dad and I learned to sail from a book 40 years ago (Sail Power). We taught my sons without schools. Turning your 10 year old loose on a Laser in 20+ teaches confidence and resourceful behavior that will last a lifetime!

But that may not be the path for everyone....
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:32   #8

SIMPLE SAILING CHARTERS in St. Petersburg. Live Aboard Sailing School | Simple Sailing
kasumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:50   #9

Boat: 1973 Tanzer 22'

Marina Sailing in Southern California has several harbors that offer ASA 114. I recommend a two-day class if you have time. The one day just never seems long enough.
I just completed the one-day course on a 35' Seawind. I believe the club has a Leopard as well.
Their email is www.marinasailing.com
Hypernette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 11:41   #10

Emerald Coast Yachts in Pensacola has added a catamaran to their fleet and had been advertising that catamaran instruction was coming back.
Lifes a beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 21:36   #11

West Coast Multihull in San Diego has nothing but catamarans and offer ASA 114 all year long. Sailing Lessons – San Diego Catamaran Charters & Lessons – West Coast Mulithulls. Great instructors and equipment. You can take ASA 103, 104, & 114 in a 5 day trip to Catalina.
AndyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 03:30   #12

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Might I suggest Great Lakes Sailing School on Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan. The area is stunning, and the cruising grounds are fantastic. they have just about any course, including 104, that you could possibly want.

Class is a live aboard, for three days, with the option to rent the boat for the remainder of the week, at a reduced fee.

They also offer ASA 104 Intermediate Cruising & 114 Catamaran Combo, but that gets a little spendier, but consider it a 5 day course, on a cat for two certs....

Here is their link: Great Lakes American Sailing Association Sailing School

A cut and paste from their website:

Prerequisites*101/103 or test out required for 104 certification.
Prices are as follows:
$795 per student for private cabin
$695 per student for private cabin based on double occupancy
$650 per student for settee bunk in main salon
Discounts for non-certification or groups of 4 or more and for private instruction.
Course Dates:
If you have your own group or would like private instruction, we can usually arrange course dates to fit your schedule!
May 27-29** Memorial Day Weekend Course
June 7-9
June 24-30** Special 7 day Unsalted Sailing Flotilla Course
July 12-14, 26-28
August 9-11, 23-25
September 2-4** Labor Day Weekend Course
September 6-8, 20-22
Old 26-05-2017, 04:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Might I suggest Great Lakes Sailing School on Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan. The area is stunning, and the cruising grounds are fantastic. they have just about any course, including 104, that you could possibly want.

Class is a live aboard, for three days, with the option to rent the boat for the remainder of the week, at a reduced fee.

They also offer ASA 104 Intermediate Cruising & 114 Catamaran Combo, but that gets a little spendier, but consider it a 5 day course, on a cat for two certs....

Here is their link: Great Lakes American Sailing Association Sailing School

A cut and paste from their website:

Prerequisites*101/103 or test out required for 104 certification.
Prices are as follows:
$795 per student for private cabin
$695 per student for private cabin based on double occupancy
$650 per student for settee bunk in main salon
Discounts for non-certification or groups of 4 or more and for private instruction.
Course Dates:
If you have your own group or would like private instruction, we can usually arrange course dates to fit your schedule!
May 27-29** Memorial Day Weekend Course
June 7-9
June 24-30** Special 7 day Unsalted Sailing Flotilla Course
July 12-14, 26-28
August 9-11, 23-25
September 2-4** Labor Day Weekend Course
September 6-8, 20-22
+1 on GLSS. I did exactly what your are doing. Had been a mono guy all my life and then wanted to charter a big cat at Sunsail. They probably could have cared less if I had the certification but it gave me confidence to at least spend a couple of days on a cat.

GLSS was very accommodating and did a private school for me and one of the crew for a weekend for the same price as individuals.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 05:06   #14

Thanks everyone for the pointers on the courses available. I've contacted a few and am working on figuring out when/where is going to be best for me.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 26-05-2017, 14:58   #15

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School in Fort Lauderdale. They run the class regularly. What can beat sailing in Miami and Biscayne Bay!

We took our classes with them - They even set up a class for the date we wanted on a boat we wanted to try as we had two couples.

Good luck!

Jason
Breathe - Manta 40
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, classes