Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 16:43   #1

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
any thoughts on the Knysna 44?

Looking at the list of cats coming to the Miami show I found the Knysna as I understand it is a new version of the st Frances cat, I know some a bout the st Frances line but nothing about this builder... any one out there with feedback?
Brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 03:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Knysna Yacht Company builds the Knysna 440, an Angelo Lavranos-designed, fast cruising catamaran. The company is based in Knysna, Southern Cape, South Africa
Knysna Yacht Co. South Africa

Knysna 440
Knysna Yacht Co. South Africa

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 05:43   #3

Boat: C&C 38'
Gord, I was going to correct you as Knysna is in the Western Cape instead of the Southern Cape. Then I noticed that their website said Southern Cape. If they don't know where they are who am I to go around correcting people, I can't even spell sailor correctly!
Perhaps Nigel and Louise, (hoplites) who live in Knysna can tell us where Knysna Yacht Co. is located.
Old 18-01-2008, 05:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Knysna, S.A.
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 11:47   #5

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
Gord, I was going to correct you as Knysna is in the Western Cape instead of the Southern Cape. Then I noticed that their website said Southern Cape. If they don't know where they are who am I to go around correcting people, I can't even spell sailor correctly!
Perhaps Nigel and Louise, (hoplites) who live in Knysna can tell us where Knysna Yacht Co. is located.
Well, as we have a Western Cape and and Eastern Cape region, what do people living around Bredarsdorp and Agulhas call their region of abode? You can't go any further south than Cape Agulhas on the African continent!!

But back to basics / seriousness, check out the bridgedeck clearance on the Knysna 440 in view of slamming. I personnally do like the shape of the hull decks.
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:21   #6

I did notice in one picture she did seam to be sitting very low in the water... or low bridge deck clearance I wish this was a stat the manufacture would publish.
Old 18-01-2008, 12:41   #7

Brandywine,

I think the bridgedeck clearance is one of the most important issues when buying a cat - and it's a comfort and a security issue!

Here in Cape Town, at the RCYC yacht basin, approx. 12 ocean cruising cats are moored, mostly built / designed by South African / French yards / designers. Out of these 12, there is only ONE which has decent, what I term ocean-adequate, bridgedeck clearance, and she is I believe a Crowther design named "Pantera" of approx. 42' and a bridgedeck clearance of approx. 3'-3.5'. Some are virtually touching the water at their moorings!

The rest, I disregard as safe ocean cruisers!
Old 18-01-2008, 13:01   #8

I would agree and I am looking for something above 36 inch... that is not to say I would rule a boat out if it only had 32 but you have to wonder if you have say 32 and add 5,000 lb of crap to the boat what is it going to be like after that.
Old 18-01-2008, 13:14   #9

It's exactely for these reaons that my list of "to me acceptable designers" is fairly short for my price bracket. I would happily accept designs by Eric - Lerouge
- Crowther
- it's starting to get tedious for my old brains cells ...

What size and type of yacht are you lookinng for? For which purpose?

Roger
Old 18-01-2008, 15:09   #10

Purpose: Circumnavigation for a family of four to include some place off the beaten path including Patagonia, allusions.. etc

like to haves: a boat in the mid 40ft range for safety and speed... the boat should have three cabins and just Two heads… it should be simple to single hand and have adequately to over sized winches and well paced running rigging. A self tacking jib would be nice touch. And provisions for a screacher. Large ish diesels and good tankege. I would also like to see a large solar array and plenty of battery. don’t think I care about board vrs keels they both have pros and cons. Redundant water makers, redundant auto pilots. The helm positions should offer some protection from the elements and or the boat needs to be helmed from inside the cabin (auto pilot remote etc..) I don’t know the list goes on and on I relies some thing can be fitted or retro/fitted too most boats but… would rather get as much as possible done at time of purchase.

I don’t know what to say about price the Dollar is taking a betting right now so it is hard to say how much I will have to spend on a boat. I would prefer a two or three year old boat to new but it seams more likely that a new boat may fit more of our needs.. Timing is a big issue for us so I will take lead-time into account when we make our choice..

I think in the end every boat involves compromises I will learn to love what ever our final choice is…

After we get threw this part we can start to talk about outfitting… ground tackle, radar… and on and on and on…

Old 18-01-2008, 16:12   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
I did notice in one picture she did seam to be sitting very low in the water... or low bridge deck clearance I wish this was a stat the manufacture would publish.

And me, I have to know about head room to boot!!!

Plus, I don't know if this makes a difference to anyone but me but I am not sure I can sleep well "cross-ways". I seem to think I will have to have my head-to-foot line in line with the bow-to-stern line. Not sure since I have not tested it. But I do know that I can't sleep in a car/van well if I am not aligned fore and aft.

That would knock a few of them out of the running for me.

I guess it will not be hard to choose for me.

6'4" head room and fore-and-aft bunks.

Bet that dumps 75%.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 17:20   #12

i am not sure the four aft bunk would matter to me I slep fine in the aft bunk of our hunter and it is cross ways.... head room is an issue for us as well last year looking at the dolphine there were sevral spots were I could not stand one of them being the galley... they went back and added 6inch across the boat but with exchange rates I dont know if the dolphine is still on my list or not...
Old 18-01-2008, 17:27   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
i am not sure the four aft bunk would matter to me I slep fine in the aft bunk of our hunter and it is cross ways.... head room is an issue for us as well last year looking at the dolphine there were sevral spots were I could not stand one of them being the galley... they went back and added 6inch across the boat but with exchange rates I dont know if the dolphine is still on my list or not...
Good to know, thanks.

I will be in Miami to see them all if I can.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 23:43   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
A Knysna 44 is a redo of the original St Franciss 44 with improved headroom but far to heavy for a circomnavigation with 4 people on board , with the normal load on board she becomes a monomaran or no bridgedeck clearance to speak of , because of the narrow huls she cannot handle a load.
good for weekend cruising without weight
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 06:21   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
As to athwartship berths - I would think fore-and-aft alignment is more critical in a mono, where rolling would make lying athwartship very uncomfortable; in a cat, that should not be an issue - in fact, lying athwartship might be the more comfortable way to deal with pitching.

As to bridgedeck clearance - S Africa is reputed to have some of the roughest ocean right at their doorstep. Is it strange or instructive that many S African cat builders/designers choose low-bridgedeck designs?

Brandywine - do you mean "Aleutians"? You might consider a Manta. I know of a couple that took an earlier Manta (38 stretched to 40') down to Cape Horn and up to Baffin Island. They had previously circumnavigated in a steel mono.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote