Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 04:56   #16

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'
Re: Any feedback from Miami boat show and news on Antares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Calm Seas,
Can you give the forum an update on the FP 47 after you see it. I sent off for a brochure a couple days ago. Interesting dingy lift. I wonder how big and heavy it can accommodate. I'm not in the market now but maybe in 3 or 4 years...

Thanks.
Glad to, but there will be lots of info; onboard comments and photos of the FP47 long before Cannes. I understand there is a group of buyers (and those with deposits) going to La Rochelle to see hull #1 prior to it being on display at La Grande-Motte April 19-23.

I'm told the L48 won't be publicly shown until the Canes show Sept 12-17 but expect more details to "leak" in April/May.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45   #17
WWV

I would suspect the same changes from the L44 to new L45 would probably apply from the old L48 to new L48.

Other than that, I'm not seeing a ton of changes they will make???

Let the speculation begin!!

WWV
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:44   #18

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Well the L440 and L450 are following each other so are pretty similar while the L480 is pretty old by today's standards and the L48 will probably get the last further aft like other 4th generation Lagoons, maybe a hydraulic platform and many other characteristic changes of its generation making it really different from the 480 or even the 450
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:59   #19

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I liked the Seawind, simple, small, dual steering, GREAT salon door! Galley in the hull. Those I talked to there said it sailed like a boat, not a condo. I like condos, but this did not feel like one. I bought a lottery ticket, but not a winner, oh well, I like my old Morgan
Old 01-03-2017, 15:48   #20

I fell in love with the Outremer 5x, but who isn't? I liked it much more than I thought I would, so since the 5X is probably out of my financial reach for the rest of my life, maybe one day I might be able to find a 4X or 45 used. Never know.

Balance 526 was nice. Loved the helm position. Just glad I actually got to see this one in person. The shower in the owner's suite... EPIC. Room for 2 with 2 shower heads. ARE YOU KIDDING?

Met Gino Morrelli's son on the HH66 which was amazing, but only for the rich. I wonder how expensive their smaller models will be. I obviously am under the belief if I ever get a cat, it needs to have dagger boards, but I'm starting to doubt that is absolutely necessary for a cruising cat.

If I do get a cat, I want the motoring required to be as minimal as possible. I'm going to charter one of the Nautitech 46 Open (No Flybridge) and see if it can really sail upwind decently as it's a boat I can realistically afford in the next few years. Anyone actually sailed this thing?

My only experience on cats have been a short day sail on a Lagoon 42(ish) and a FP Helia. Both seemed like you were motoring if the wind was even a few degrees ahead.
Wyered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:25   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wyered.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24   #22

Boat: St Francis 50

I believe the Antares 44 is now being sold directly by the factory in Argentina, they can be contacted via their website liveantares.com - also there are three used ones on the market - Beth Simkins at Rhumbline Yacht Brokers is representing two of them.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:15   #23

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
I believe the Antares 44 is now being sold directly by the factory in Argentina, they can be contacted via their website liveantares.com - also there are three used ones on the market - Beth Simkins at Rhumbline Yacht Brokers is representing two of them.
I am not so sure they can be contacted. We too wanted to see the Antares at the Miami boat show after previously hoping to in Annapolis. We tried every email and web form available to contact anyone with no reply. Coincidentally, we are going to Argentina for a tour in a couple weeks and will be spending a night or two in Buenos Aires to start it off. We plan to Uber over and take a look to see what is still there.
Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:23   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sawbonz.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 19:17   #25

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Having sailed a L450F owners version for two weeks I understand why that is coming first in the L480 - Its for the charter market. Which is collectively their biggest "client"
The flybridge is great for coastal cruising (if that is what you will be doing mostly and there is nothing wrong with that ) and that is what the charter market uses the yacht for.

SV IMPI ( the friendly catamaran) is gonna want a word with you about fly bridges....
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 00:14   #26

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
SV IMPI ( the friendly catamaran) is gonna want a word with you about fly bridges....
Classic comment ....... and I have seen some of their videos ...... pretty cool. Also fellow South Africans.

What I am saying is that one can do water sailing">blue water sailing with a flying bridge. I just dont want too!

Very exposed (yes you can build a "cage" around the bridge but really defeats the purpose

On the L450F the jib winches are so far from the helm it is a mission to sail single handed and nearly impossible if your auto pilot fails.

You are to removed from the rest of the crew (unless they are all up there and if the weather is bad and/or its dark I cant see anyone else wanting to be there!

The sea motion is enhanced (negatively) on the flybridge in big seas and those who suffer from sea sickness will not want to be there.

The height of the boom is an issue for me on all the fly bridge models

That said ......each to their own as I have learnt over time ...... you can only please some of the people some of the time........ If I only did coastal cruising the fly bridge boats would move up my list ...... just not the lagoons as the sail drives sit astern of the rudders ........ but that is another story!!
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:28   #27

I went to the show on Monday. My impression is that the show has been dwindling/shrinking over the last five years with fewer boats and fewer vendors in the gear tents. There was a good showing from the builders of cats for the charter industry - Lagoon, Leopard, FP. Some BIG motor cats are starting to sneak in! (Note: Could this be the basis for another raging multi-mono debate?).

There was a pretty strong presence in the mono's from Beneteau and to a lesser extent Catalina accompanied by some nice used mono's for sell (Oyster, HR, Hylas). For new boats I found the following to be really exciting (my personal preference): HH66 (can't afford one), Outremer 5x (can't afford that one either), Balance 52 (can't afford that one). There was a great new 40' cat from S. Africa and they did a great job of putting things together in a smaller package, forget the name. Liked the Dragonfly 35 but its tight and very expensive for the living space; however; it will sail like a "scalded cat" (can I say this?) . Loved the new Hylas 48 for those that love and appreciate attention to detail of an extremely well built boat ... might even consider going over to the "dark side" for that one .

FWIW, this is a brief summary of my thoughts and observations corrupted by my bias and interests. Since I am not getting paid to advertise there are boats and items that were missed in this report. I would invite others to add their $.02.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:31   #28

I am only hours away from visiting the Antares factory in Buenos Aires and I am happy to report that they are alive, well, and building boats. There are currently 4.5 under construction and we were able to tour them from the beginning stages through near completion. These boats are all still finishing up from the old contracts and they hope to start new contracts soon. Actually, their updated web site went live just yesterday, same location: www.liveantares.com . Pricing is the same at $1.095M. I did take a couple of pictures but don't they are of interest to anyone blue me. However, if you want to see them ask and I shall post.
Old 17-03-2017, 14:40   #29

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

"4.5 under construction " are they building a mono in there along side the cats? Lol
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 19:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
"4.5 under construction " are they building a mono in there along side the cats? Lol

Ha! I couldn't remember if one that we saw was a whole hull or just the bottom.

Tags
Antares, boat, boat show, miami, miami boat show